Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Tyres

zebidi

ok guys, i know there is a guide thats pinned, BUT i was wondering if anyone has got 205/40/16 tyres on a lowered yaris.

i used to have 205/40/17 T1Rs on when i used to have my 17s and they rubbed.

I'm looking to get some yokohama parada 2 tyres for my next set.

Running T1Ss all round at the mo, I was VERY impressed with the T1Rs before but want to go for a change.

Thanks guys. :group-cuddles:

Yokohama tyres are a very soft compound.. so will wear out slightly quicker than the Toyo's.. but grip is 2nd to none.

As for 205/40x16 tyres rubing..

195/45x16 = 87.75mm in height (sidewall)

205/40x16 = 82.00mm in height

So that would rule out the issue of it rubbing on the bottom of the spring (people with 195/45x16 don't seem to have this problem.. and 205/40x16's are 5.75mm lower)

This just leaves the issue with width.. this will depend on the offset of the wheel.. if it sits out too far, the tyre could rub on the arches (personally i think it would be ok) if they sit too far in, then they could rub on the inner wings on full lock.

with an offset between 38 - 42 i think the 205 tyres will be fine, might get problems if the car is fully loaded when you go over bumps in the road.. just depends how much the car is lowered.

If possible, ask the tyre fitter to put a 205/40x16 beside a 205/40x17 and you will see how much lower you will be.. it will be be about 25mm. then you could see if you were going to have the same problem as you had before... you havn't said how/where your 17" were rubbing, so it's not easy to tell if the same problem will be there.. but the 25mm difference could be allyou need to alleviate the problem.

woah thanks for impressive muchos appreciated reply. they 17s would rub on the outside. full lock and inside were fine, im running tein coileys and oz super leggeras et 38 i think.

OK.. if it was rubbing on the outside (wheel arch) it would depend where on the arch it was catching.. 205's on the 40 series may well be low enough to stop it catching. If it was only rubbing going over undulations on the road when loaded.. then i am 70% sure that the 25mm difference will stop it happening.. every car is different though.. sometimes its a case of trial and error.

im actually looking to install the bigger ones on the back, im too paranoid that if i put them on the front it will destroy my bumper more.

but the paradas are they way to go i think :)

i was EVEN crazy enough to have a look at some R888s lol

im actually looking to install the bigger ones on the back, im too paranoid that if i put them on the front it will destroy my bumper more.

but the paradas are they way to go i think :)

i was EVEN crazy enough to have a look at some R888s lol

:) Stick with the Yokos,i've just change my 17/40/205 on buget tyres for 16/45/195 Yokos and i can't belive the differance a 100 times better the 195 makes the steering a lot better it feels as if theres less stress on the steering and a lot more feel.

I've heard bad things about some Yoko's in the rain. Personally, I'd go with Toyo's or the Goodyear Eagle F1's! :yes:

I'm just speaking from what I've heard though 'cos I've only ever had Toyo T1-S on mine! :thumbsup:

OK.. if it was rubbing on the outside (wheel arch) it would depend where on the arch it was catching.. 205's on the 40 series may well be low enough to stop it catching. If it was only rubbing going over undulations on the road when loaded.. then i am 70% sure that the 25mm difference will stop it happening.. every car is different though.. sometimes its a case of trial and error.

when i used to have my 17s with 205/40/17 T1Rs they rubbed on the side, i wonder if the extra inch less will stop it happening though, its just i was thinking more width problem than height.

What do you think about that?

I think its a height problem.. especially as the car is lowered.. I have 17's on mine and don't have any problems... even fully loaded with a roofbox and boot full of camping gear and the 3 kids in the back seat (must surely have "lowered" it at least 30mm :lol:) admittedly mine isn't a t-sport, but the t-sport is 30mm lower than mine in standard form, so if you had standard suspension, with the right offset on a t-sport, it would only rub on a few occassions.. so from this, my dear Watson, i deduct that the 25mm could make all the difference to you. :thumbsup:

Disclaimer notice

All prices correct at time of going to press.... doh!, wrong one :P .. errr, all cars are different so don't blame me if they do rub.:lol:

I think its a height problem.. especially as the car is lowered.. I have 17's on mine and don't have any problems... even fully loaded with a roofbox and boot full of camping gear and the 3 kids in the back seat (must surely have "lowered" it at least 30mm :lol:) admittedly mine isn't a t-sport, but the t-sport is 30mm lower than mine in standard form, so if you had standard suspension, with the right offset on a t-sport, it would only rub on a few occassions.. so from this, my dear Watson, i deduct that the 25mm could make all the difference to you. :thumbsup:

Disclaimer notice

All prices correct at time of going to press.... doh!, wrong one :P .. errr, all cars are different so don't blame me if they do rub.:lol:

LOL jolly good answers, will be shopping for tires after chrimbo then, think my wallet's in for a good a$$ raping this year lol

thanks muchos cfc :group-cuddles:

I will be replacing my front ones soon, think im going take the toyo route

sure i wont. Ordered the carpet ready for the buckets, moddings so expensive :crybaby:

toyos rule :yes:

i must say i found Eagle F1s to be absolute pap through, but they were on my OE rims with a foot high side wall....?

toyos rule :yes:

i must say i found Eagle F1s to be absolute pap through, but they were on my OE rims with a foot high side wall....?

agree with you on the toyos - had them on the IS (215 / 45 / 17), and they were excellent.

Disagree completely with you on the eagles though I'm afraid.

I have Eagles F1 GS-D3 on the GS and they are superb. Changed them from Pirelli P-Zero Assymetrico, as I was having real issues with the rear wheels slipping, a damp road - or any sort of loose surface - and the rear wheels would lose traction exceptionally easily with the Pirellis.

No such problems at all with the Goodyear - I would recommend them :thumbsup:

They are quite low profile on the GS though (245 / 40 / 18) - maybe thats the difference?

i agree though on that, as i say i had them on the std wheels and they had a huge amount of 'give' in the tyre walls, which tells me they are very weak in the first place.

if they had have been low profile on a larger set of wheels then it may have been a different kettle of fish, but for now Toyos are my main choice, unreal grip in the dry :)

The Eagles are great, I've got the F1's on my SR wheels and they have amazing grip, especially in the wet.

Jaxx I think you were experiencing some sidewall roll and thats why you thought the Eagle F1's were so rubbish! :thumbsup:

I agree with your Toyo comment in the dry though, no other tyre I have tried comes close! :yes:

T1-R's are the way forward I'd imagine, need to wear out my T1-S's 1st though! :ph34r:

The feed back I have been getting on the T1r's is that performance isn't much difference from the T1s, but the T1r's give less road noise.

but isn't there little price difference when using the gold discount anyway? i thought they both were stupidly cheap last time someone quoted the prices!

Envy are doing the Toyo T1-R's for £45 a tyre in 195/45 R15 size which is cheaper than the gold discount site!

I know where I'll be buying my tyres! :D

Kevin also mentioned his supplier has stopped doing the Toyo T1-S. I think the T1-R's are like £3 more expensive per tyre so not much difference at all! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links