Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Front Light Bulbs!

pb5

Hi

Quick question has any one managed to change their own front light bulbs on a E12 2001 onwards Corolla :help: ? Especially the T Sport :help: ?

I bought some upgraded light bulbs for my Corolla but there's so little room behind the lights, I can't get the original ones out :ffs: . The Battery could be removed but the VSC unit doesn't look that moveable.

Any ideas please (apart from getting fleeced by the local Toyota dealer :o).

Thanks

Pb

:wacko:

there is a thread here somewhere with the same question

if u cannot reach the pin thinging then just loosen the thing tht hold the Battery and u should hav enought space to work.

Hi GRD008

It does tell you how to change them in the manual (in a VW Golf MK4 it doesn't, it says refer to dealer).

But doesn't help much when there so lttle space behind the lights in the first place (problem is there's no room). There's not even two inches on the drivers side where the VSC control unit is (only T Sport corolla's have this).

The Battery could be removed (there's more space on the this side).

I've thought may be front lights as a whole may be easier to remove (more room then).

Pb

Hiya pb5...cant help you on the light bulbs...but what have you upgraded to....I read somewhere about a bi-something or other bulb is it that one. :yes:

Popwud

They are just xenon gas 50% brighter bulbs from Halfords (two for one offer, so only £35 (for 4). If I can't get them in i'll just take them back.

Pb

Hi

Quick question has any one managed to change their own front light bulbs on a E12 2001 onwards Corolla  :help: ? Especially the T Sport  :help: ?

I bought some upgraded light bulbs for my Corolla but there's so little room behind the lights, I can't get the original ones out  :ffs:  . The battery could be removed but the VSC unit doesn't look that moveable.

Any ideas please (apart from getting fleeced by the local Toyota dealer  :o).

Thanks

Pb

I managed to change the light bulbs in mine (both sides). It did take me a long time to work the electrical connection lose, but it is possible. I did find it all very frustrating though!

Thanks pb.....Ive never had any need to change the bulbs but I know they can be awkward as I have changed em in other vehicles...a merc lorry for instance, you had to take the air filter off first...give em another try and take your time. :thumbsup:

Thanks pb.....Ive never had any need to change the bulbs but I know they can be awkward as I have changed em in other vehicles...a merc lorry for instance, you had to take the air filter off first...give em another try and take your time. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I had a message asking for more info from KevT3 that would not send as his inbox might be full, so are your answers!

Hi there Goldeneye243,

I am trying to change the headlights on my E12 and came across your message which says that you managed to changed it successfully.

Could you give me an idea of how to change it? I have got a T3 which I think on the driver side, there is a silver block obstructing the light cap, but should be able to get enough room to fiddle with the light. However on the passenger side, there is no room at all, do I have to take out the battery?

Also, the new bulb that I have got is the "L" shape type, but the current dimmed headlight is straight , does that matter? I checked on the halford checklist and it says the new one i have got should fit... i am puzzled...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thx

Kev :help:

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding, been a bit busy lately!

I did not have to remove the Battery on mine, but it is a bit tight to get access to the bulb. Basically you need to remove the waterproof cover be moving the 2 clips.

Then you need to disconnect the electrical connection to the bulb. This is what I really struggled with in the confined space, but it was possible with a lot of wiggling, some blood and some swearing!

Then the bulb can be released by undoing the spring clip. Another bulb can then be put in and it all be reassembled.

I have a suspicion however that you may not have the right bulb, as my bulb was not right angled. Check in you manual that you were not looking at the bulbs for the saloon, and that you were looking at the hatchback.

As far as I know, it should be an H7 bulb, I got mine from here

http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php...3a741780aeb1c62

Hope this helps,

John

I had a message asking for more info from KevT3 that would not send as his inbox might be full, so are your answers!
Hi there Goldeneye243,

I am trying to change the headlights on my E12 and came across your message which says that you managed to changed it successfully.

Could you give me an idea of how to change it? I have got a T3 which I think on the driver side, there is a silver block obstructing the light cap, but should be able to get enough room to fiddle with the light. However on the passenger side, there is no room at all, do I have to take out the battery?

Also, the new bulb that I have got is the "L" shape type, but the current dimmed headlight is straight , does that matter? I checked on the halford checklist and it says the new one i have got should fit... i am puzzled...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thx

Kev :help:

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding, been a bit busy lately!

I did not have to remove the Battery on mine, but it is a bit tight to get access to the bulb. Basically you need to remove the waterproof cover be moving the 2 clips.

Then you need to disconnect the electrical connection to the bulb. This is what I really struggled with in the confined space, but it was possible with a lot of wiggling, some blood and some swearing!

Then the bulb can be released by undoing the spring clip. Another bulb can then be put in and it all be reassembled.

I have a suspicion however that you may not have the right bulb, as my bulb was not right angled. Check in you manual that you were not looking at the bulbs for the saloon, and that you were looking at the hatchback.

As far as I know, it should be an H7 bulb, I got mine from here

http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php...3a741780aeb1c62

Hope this helps,

John

THx John!! :thumbsup:

I went back to the shop and they said that the reference book might be wrong and they exchanged the bulbs for me.

I managed to took out the driver side bulb today, but really struggled to unplug the wire connection on the passenger side, I moved the Battery a bit which allows enough room for me to reach the bulb, but I just couldn't unplug it... spent 2 hours wiggling it with no success, obviously, with blood and swear, no luck ... :(

i think i am gonna give up... by the way, you mentioned about removing the Battery, would that give you better access to the bulb then just moving it a bit? what trick did you use to do unplug the connection?

Many thx

KEv :)

THx John!! :thumbsup:

I went back to the shop and they said that the reference book might be wrong and they exchanged the bulbs for me.

I managed to took out the driver side bulb today, but really struggled to unplug the wire connection on the passenger side, I moved the Battery a bit which allows enough room for me to reach the bulb, but I just couldn't unplug it... spent 2 hours wiggling it with no success, obviously, with blood and swear, no luck ... :(

i think i am gonna give up... by the way, you mentioned about removing the Battery, would that give you better access to the bulb then just moving it a bit? what trick did you use to do unplug the connection?

Many thx

KEv :)

I just wiggled it a lot. Tried pliers etc but they did not really help. Took me far too long to do it!

I just wiggled it a lot.  Tried pliers etc but they did not really help.  Took me far too long to do it!

I tried to wiggle it, but you know the metal clip (which holds the actual bulb) is too wiggly and i am worried that I might break it, what's yours like?