Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2fast 2furious - Skyline Steam

Leeky

Anyone who has seen 2fast 2furious will have seen the cool steam jets that are on the Silver Skyline at the begging.

Anyone know how they REALLY work?

Some have told me it works by a special pump and water etc

Some have told me its the excess pressure from the dump valve being free'd under the arches

and some have told me its NOS being let out (sounds expensive waste)

Anyone know how this is done and any other details?

Im not planning on getting it done but i am facinated by it. :hokus-pokus:

From what I have heard on other forums it's the FX guys making people think WOW and asking questions after the film exactly as you have done although with no real purpose for the car....

Guess it worked :D :D :D

SFX - what a cool job.

But that's what they do - help make something look better than it is.

This IS NOS being purged it removes the small amount of air that is in the pipes so that only pure nitroius oxide is injected into the engine.

More info here:

clicky

I was under the impression it was one of those cooler jets which some high performance cars have, the ones which spray water or steam onto the rad to cool it...although if thats the case don't know why it was coming from the wings!? :huh:

don;'t you love the SFX Team....

I haven't seen the film yet but thinking logically....

NOS is used to give a short burst of extra power.

NOS is not used for long periods of time.

You can not store large amounts of NOS in a vehicle...

Why would you waste it spraying it anywhere other than in the engine...

Makes no sense...

Anyone who has seen 2fast 2furious will have seen the cool steam jets that are on the Silver Skyline at the begging.

Some have told me its the excess pressure from the dump valve being free'd under the arches

Havent seen the film yet, it sounds like aqua mist jets that spray cool mist into the intercooler. Or is it something completly different?

Havent seen the film yet, it sounds like aqua mist jets that spray cool mist into the intercooler. Or is it something completly different?

wheel arch mounted intercoolers ?

Bit more:

Even though the Nitrous is under fairly high pressure in the bottle, believe it or not it is not flowing at full pressure when solenoid opens. There is a slight lag time till it reaches full velocity thru the feed line and solenoid and on to plate or nozzle. This along with the fact that the nitrous in those areas turns from liquid to gaseous a few minutes after the system is turned off creates even more of a lag time. If you activate the system without purging the gaseous Nitrous has to be moved thru the system before the liquid gets to the plate/nozzles. This is the reason for the "soft hit" when not purged. Some racers use that for an advantage if they do not want to "strike the tires " on the launch or on a not so good racing surface. When you purge you have removed the gaseous nitrous and allowed liquid to be right at the main solenoid when it opens thus a much stronger launch hit of Nitrous.

Simon :thumbsup:

lol it wasn't steam cos Brian cruised in, blowing all the girls skirts waist-high with it, I don't think he'd want to steam-burn those lovely asian ladies!

must have been water/mist jets for effect. Plus it only happened when he rev'd it up to about 200,000,000 something revs or whatever the awesome skyline rev's up to :lol:

Looks like a cooling system to stop the car from melting ! :hokus-pokus:

Sorry. ;)

Where's the intercooler on the turbo MR2's? On top of the engine as on the GT4's?

I know your radiator bits sit in the arch (or atleast I think that's where mine were on the 1991 MR2 I had at home).

I was under the impression it was one of those cooler jets which some high performance cars have, the ones which spray water or steam onto the rad to cool it...

:P

Well what is it then? Or am I just going to have to see the film on saturday

Sorry. ;)

Where's the intercooler on the turbo MR2's? On top of the engine as on the GT4's?

I know your radiator bits sit in the arch (or atleast I think that's where mine were on the 1991 MR2 I had at home).

Turbo, not a clue...

I'm an NA man i'm afraid...

nah nah nah..........

N2O pipes dont need purging, the solenoid, is what is holding the gas back.

for the techys out there i will try and explain how and what Nitrous oxide is, by the way NOS is a trade mark

sodium chlorate acts as a way to store oxygen. You release the oxygen in sodium chlorate by heating it. It turns out that nitrous oxide (N20) works exactly the same way. When you heat nitrous oxide to about 570 degrees F (~300 C), it splits into oxygen and nitrogen. So the injection of nitrous oxide into an engine means that more oxygen is available during combustion. Because you have more oxygen, you can also inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to produce more power. Nitrous oxide is one of the simplest ways to provide a significant horsepower boost to any petrol engine.

Nitrous oxide has another effect that improves performance even more. When it vaporizes, nitrous oxide provides a significant cooling effect on the intake air. When you reduce the intake air temperature, you increase the air's density, and this provides even more oxygen inside the cylinder.

The only problem with nitrous oxide is that it is fairly bulky, and the engine needs a lot of it. Like any gas, it takes up a fair amount of space even when compressed into a liquid. A 5-liter engine running at 4,000 rotations per minute (rpm) consumes about 10,000 liters of air every minute (compared to about 0.2 liters of gasoline), so it would take a tremendous amount of nitrous oxide to run a car continuously. Therefore, a car normally carries only a few minutes of nitrous oxide, and the driver uses it very selectively by pushing a button.

Simply stated, nitrous oxide injection is very much like a supercharger or a compression ratio increase in that, during combustion, it can dramatically increase the dynamic cylinder pressure in the engine.

Of course, when we significantly increase the cylinder pressure in the engine, we also increase the engine's tendancy to detonate. This is why almost all nitrous motors require retarded spark timing during nitrous oxide operation. The cylinder pressure increase is also why, when misused or improperly installed, operation with nitrous causes problems with head gasket seal and failures of the rings or pistons. I should point out that any number of things that put an engine into severe detonation, such as too much boost from a supercharger, low octane fuel, excessive compression ratio or overly lean air-fuel ratio will also cause the same kinds of damage.

Another challenge with a nitrous oxide system is getting the delivery of nitrous oxide and additinonal fuel at the correct proportions. If you feed nitrous to the engine without enough extra fuel, the lean air/nitrous to fuel mixture will make the detonation problem even worse. Combustion temperatures will skyrocket and catistropic failure is certain to occur. If the proportion is such that too much fuel is delivered, the power advantage degrades rapidly.

As you can see, nitrous oxide is like any other power increasing modification in that, when used wisely and installed properly, it works well. Then used foolishy or installed incorectly it can significantly reduced the reliability/durability of your engine.

Small doses of nitrous oxide can be used in stock engines to gain 25-35% more power. In my opinion, any more than nitrous than that with a stock engine compromises durability too much. This is not only true of nitrous but any modification. Take a stock 82 or 84 engine, up the horsepower to 300hp and do nothing to improve durability and your engine will eventually suffer. Once you pass the 35% power increase mark with nitrous oxide you need to look at things like forged pistons, better connectiing rods, better bearings, etc.

Nitrous oxide is also a great value on a Pound-per-unit-power increase when installed and operated properly. The downside, of course, is the fun ends quiclky. The power boost lasts as long as the nitrous. The average bottle is a 20 pounder and with a street V8 that might be worth 20 seconds of use.

So, nitrous oxide is not the instant-engine-failure many people think it is. When used properly and when dispensed by a properly designed and installed system nitrous oxide can be responsible for some phenominal increases in power.

the discharges shown in 2f2f is steam SFX as are the "steam" on the link posted above

thank you

mat :thumbsup:

I saw 2F2F last week, dont think it was steam or NOS it was more like twin wheel arch mounted fire extinguishers :lol::lol:

nah nah nah..........

N2O pipes dont need purging, the solenoid, is what is holding the gas back.

So why do ZEX produce this:

ZEX™ Nitrous Purge Kit

Purging your nitrous oxide kit before a race clears the lines of unwanted vapor and ensures pure liquid nitrous oxide as soon as the kit is activates, giving you the jump on your competition

The ZEX™ Nitrous Purge Kit uses the larges solenoid and delivery lines in the industry

Creates the "snow machine" effect every racer wants

zex_82010.jpg

Taken from Nitrous secrets

If you've been to the any drag racing shootouts, or any race with nitrous'd cars, you've no doubt noticed the cars emitting big clouds of nitrous in the air right before staging. This is called purging, and there are two reasons for it.

A purge system vents the nitrous half of the system to the outside air. An extra solenoid just ahead of the main nitrous solenoid is opened and lets some nitrous out of the system. Why would you ever want to waste nitrous like that? For one, purging rids the system of air bubbles. When a bottle is removed or a line disconnected (say, to swap jets), air can get in the line, and that air can cause a bog when you hit the button. Purging gets the air out so that only nitrous is in the line. Purging is also used to maintain consistent system pressure. An engine and nitrous system are tuned to work with a certain nitrous pressure, usually 900-1,000 psi. If that pressure changes, the combination is off. Racers wv will usually heat up the bottle (with an approved warmer, or by sticking the bottle under the heater outlet in the tow truck) so that the bottle pressure is 1,100 psi or so. When they pull up to the line, they purge the system to bring the pressure down to where it should be for their combination. Oh, actually there's a third reason to have a purge system: it looks bitchin' when you do it

Piccy of Honda purging

purge.jpg

Oh and if you look here there is a video too:

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~bhawalka/nitrous.html

Simon :P :P :P

:D cheers mate i've been looking into nitrous for the starlet so been doing allot of research for that..

Simon

Si my car had nitrous fitted on it when i bought. Had a 50 shot which made 188bhp. They guy wanted an extra 500 hundred quid for me to keep it so i said no thankyou. He had it set up at power engineering and i've got the bill for it in the folder i was given when he sold me the car. It was about 1500 quid for the kit, fitting and setting up!!!! Thats more than this whole t3 kit is costing me!!!! I should have the t3 on the 18th by the way, then im gonna be workin solidly to get fuel pump, injectors, FPR, AFC, FMIC piping, manifold, oil lines and turbo fitted so i can take it down to power engineering and get it set up and dynoed in time for JAE :D

Tom

And thats why i've decided against it mate going to have a good look at your car when you get it done......... :thumbsup:

Simon

Which is why they spray a couple litres of anti freeze in the intakes as the nitrous freezes them up. Expanding gases cool.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links