Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuses Celica Cd Player

shahidafridi

Depends partly on the Multimeter

You should have a red wire and a black wire, first make sure they are plugged into the correct parts. The black one should be colour coded and called common. The red one normally has two options - make sure it is in the 10A DC one (or similar)

You want to set it to Volts (probably marked "V") There will probably be a few different options ranging from fractions of volts up to 100's of volts. I think from memory you want to set it to 20V if there is the option.

The following diagram should help

meter2.gif

Plug the black wire in the COM one at the bottom and the Red Wire in the 10ADC at the top, then set the dial as shown

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shahidafridi

• sotal

• GT4 BOOSTER

• greg1234

seems sotal has this one sewn up - well done buddy. :thumbsup:

You shouldn't need to do that!

What reading did you get from your multimeter? On the red and yellow wires?

Have you tried to run a wire from the !Removed! lighter socket, and connect it to the red and yellow?

If you need any more help just give us more info and we will be pleased to help :thumbsup:

It should be an easy task - 5-10 minute job!

ok thanks mate i must sound really thick! well i am when it comes to electrics!

im not gettin any reading thats with the engine turned on or off...the !Removed! lighter doesnt have red/ yellow wires...so what do i connect it up with? and will any wire do? or does this have to be some kinda special one

mate i really appreci8 ur help...seriously thanks a lot

You shouldn't need to do that!

What reading did you get from your multimeter? On the red and yellow wires?

Have you tried to run a wire from the !Removed! lighter socket, and connect it to the red and yellow?

If you need any more help just give us more info and we will be pleased to help :thumbsup:

It should be an easy task - 5-10 minute job!

Ok - the multimeter has two probes, if you set it up like I described above then it will be set up for measuring DC Circuits.

A DC Circuit is where you electricity coming from a Battery. AC is the mains electricity in your house. As you know with any Battery you have a positive and a negative. Pop your bonnet up and touch the red lead to the positive terminal of the Battery and the black lead to the negative terminal. This should now read somewhere around 12Volts. If the car is running it should be around 14Volts. If you don't get a reading or if the wires get hot then you've set it up wrong!

Once you have verified that you are using the multimeter correctly then you can start to test inside the car!

You may notice under the bonnet that the negative terminal of the battery connects directly to the car. This gives the car a common negative - This basically saves having to run two wires to everything in the car. So you now need to find somewhere with bare metal to connect the black lead from the multimeter to. Common places are the bolts that hold the seat sub frame down, sometimes the metal bit around the ignition, maybe seat belt anchor bolts - but I normally just use the outside edge of the !Removed! lighter socket.

Once you have found a good negative, then keep it held against it and then touch the red probe against whatever you want to test.

If you want to test the red wire that connects to the stereo - touch it to the bare metal it should now read 12Volts or thereabouts. Then try the yellow wire.

The !Removed! lighter socket is a very simple design it has a negative connection all round the edge and the very middle of the bottom is the positive, so if you carefully touch the middle at the bottom with the red probe and the outside with the black probe you should get a 12 volt reading (I say very carefully because if you manage to join the two together you will short them out and get a big spark)

If it turns out that the !Removed! lighter is live and the red/yellow wires are not live then you should be able to get a bit of wire and run it from the back of the !Removed! lighter where the positive connects up to the yellow and red wires.

Let me know if you need any further help. If you are unsure about the multimeter - set it up how you think it should be then take a picture of it and somebody will tell you if it's ok

the 2 top left wires should be your lives - green/yellow/turquoise being permanent 12v , the grey being switched live from the ignition key., bottom left black/white is your earth.

gen6wiring.jpg

er my !Removed! lighter works and the wire colours r confusing me...i dnt wanna blow nething up so i thought id ask first!

at the top theres two wires a green n black

at the bottom there r also two a black and white one and a grey one

:help:

which wires ar eyou talking about now? !Removed! lighter or Radio :lol:

If it's the !Removed! lighter there is a light on top, but if you were following what I said above you can do everything from within the car without getting to any wires.

If it's the radio - Take a picture if possible

GT4 Booster posted the wiring diagram for the radio. Check your radio plug to see if it's anything like that - if it is - then check the two top wires (from the diagram)

sorry for late reply.....yeh it is the gag lighter but why is that light there ?!

so which wire is it black and white or the gry one? and when testing do i still use the red prod to test and hold the black one to some neutral thingmajic?!

Ok,

Take a step back! The light is on the !Removed! lighter so that it lights up at night.

Forget about the !Removed! lighter for a minute though!

GT4 Booster pointed out that as you are using the standard Toyota Radio it will be using non-standard wiring. (Standard is that yellow and red or the positive feeds) Your friend probably also tested the wrong wires!

So sit in the car, and pull your radio out, then take the plug which goes into the back.

You should find that a blue wire with a yellow stripe and a grey wire connect to the radio. These are the two you need to test. So stick the red probe against part of the pair metal (either the pin inside the plug or part of the wire itself), and then touch the outer edge of the inside of the !Removed! lighter (don't worry about the wires behind the !Removed! lighter) with the black probe.

The grey wire should definatley work as it works off the same 15Amp Fuse a sthe !Removed! lighter.

The Blue/Yellow Wire has a 20amp which is seperate.

pmsl. aint it fun here at times. :lol:

:lol: - I just wish he lived near by it would only be a 2 minute job to go and sort out - It would be quicker than typing!!

And re-reading my last post, the typings getting worse!!! Must be the Stella!!

Anyway, Everyone have a good XMAS - I probably won't be posting much for a week or so - going away for a couple of days then I've got a Land Rover to build!

LOL! wouldnt it just!

sorry guyz i knw i must sound real thick! im gna reread all these posts then recheck everythin n give u guyz an update tmrw

once again thanks!

u aint gna bleve this....i did exactly what sotal said dnt....

whilst testing the wires i did summit silly ( wont say wat ul all guess neway!!)

suffice to sya my heaters clock and electric mirrors wont work now......

:help::help::help::help::help:

fuse 12 inside the car. 15 amp blue

fuse 5 and// or fuse 6 in engine bay. 20 amp yellow

yep - that'll be shorting it out :lol:

Just change the fuses GT4Booster said and it will fix those!

Any joy with the testing before you blew the fuse?

does anyone know if there are any fuses IN the original cd and cassette deck?...turns out it was the witing and the CD player!! the wiring is sorted now mashallah! thanks for all ur help guyz

so are there any fuses within the cd player? or will i need to fork out on another one...if so at the moment my budget realistically is netween 50-100 quid but could increase a LITTLE more if summit nice comes along...so for all of u in the know....whats the best i could get for that price if my cd player is well n truly buggered