Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis T-3x 1.8vvti Engine Problems

michaelelaineg

Hi All,

I think this is my first proper post but I have been reading the boards for nearly a year. Before I start though I want to point out that the dealer is not at fault and to be quite honest I couldn't have dealt with a nicer After Sales Service Dept.

A few years ago I purchased a Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTI GS model with 34,000 on the clock. The car served me fine and was quite happy with it as we have had Corollas for many years without any problems at all.

When the car was serviced a year later I was told that I had no oil in the engine and there was an additional cost to fill it up. Two weeks later I checked the oil and found that there was no oil in it so I naturally took it back to the service centre and complained that they hadn't filled it up. In fact the car had been filled and was drinking oil like no tomorrow. The engine needed to be replaced with a "Short Motor" at my cost.

In 2004 we traded the car in at our local dealer for a '03 new shaped Avensis Tourer T3-X. I had many niggles with the car which most of them have been resolved but some of them have never. Again the first year of driving was fine and servicing was great however at the beginning of this year I checked the oil and found that it was reading nothing again. I spoke to the dealer and was told that they didn't hold a lot of oil on the dipstick but it was nothing to worry about. Previously my car had done 10,000 miles in the first year without me having to fill the car up, just a general top up. The car was serviced in Nov and in January it was empty and only travelling approx 2,800 miles.

The second time I took it into the dealer for the same problem they said they would top it out and told me to drive for a 1000 miles and come back. When I went back to the dealer they said that the car was fine.

In July when I was travelling back from Silverstone my engine light came on and when I took it to the dealer they said that the CAT had gone which was very unusual but it needed to be replaced.

October 2005 I started car up one morning and heard a loud tapping noise in 1st and 2nd gears at low revs. Even though my car was going in to be serviced I drove it into the dealer to have it checked.

Guess what they told me that the car had no oil in it again and that the "Short Motor" would need replacing and the car has only done 32,000. I have spoken to a very close friend who works at Toyota GB who has told me that I have been very unlucky and even he thought that they had sorted this issue out. He also said that would have been also the reason why the CAT had gone as the car was burning so much oil and Toyota should have picked up on this as I had been telling them about the problem.

I am now left with my pride and joy being stripped down and replaced again and also very upset. I have spent over £20,000 on Avensis's not including servicing etc and now don't want to own another.

I have spoken to Toyota GB regarding this and will be sending then and Toyota JP a letter as it has put a black mark on their cars. What is worse my father last month has just purchased a new one after my recommendation. The car is out of warranty next year and I don't want to be left paying for another engine myself. I don't want to accept an extented warranty either because the same could happen in a few years down the line.

I don't want another Avensis even Toyota offer a brand new one. I have a family so need a big car so I will either go for a Verso D-4D if these have a good service history or completely drop Toyota.

My friend tells me that this is the only engine that suffers from this problem the 2.0Ltr & the 2.0D-4D are fine?

If Toyota are reading this which I hope they are? I have spent over £40,000 over the years and will continue to do so but if this doesn't get resolved then I will be selling all my cars and shipping to a new manufacturer.

Sorry to be long winded guys and I hope that people understand my situation.

On conclusion would I reccomend Toyota for Cars? Well I will see what they come with.

Would I reccomend an Avensis 1.8 VVTI? No WAY stay very clear I suggest to purchase the 2.0 Petrol or 2.0 D-4D.

One very sad and upset Toyota customer.

Michael.

I think your last couple just about covered it, there is a known problem with the 1.8vvti engine, just get the diesel and be a happy owner. I am! ;)

I think your last couple just about covered it, there is a known problem with the 1.8vvti engine, just get the diesel and be a happy owner.  I am! ;)

Ditto

Prefer the diesel to the 2.0 petrol. Had minor problems with exhaust valves that made it run like a kangaroo.

Diesel is so far so good.

:thumbsup:

Hello...mmm

I've just recently bought a 1.8vvti avensis 03 modell...bit concerned now :huh:

sofar I have had no problems with it and in the month and a half Ive had it Ive clocked up about 2000 miles already...will check the oil now though as the car is going in for the toyota 600 mile check up after buying a second hand toyota...Oh only niggle I have is that the breaks squeeek <_< when I come to a halt at the lights or a junction ( and no Im not speeding :angry: not possible in the 1.8...)

Hi there,

I have just spoken to Toyota GB and they said that the car is ready for collection. I have told them that I wish to reject the car under the Sales Of Goods act as the car is clearly not fit for the purpose it was purchased for. I also have proof of this by the dozens of people that have posted on here and my friend who works for the company in question.

The customer service person understood my problem and someone is going to ring me back. He wasn't very forthcoming with the name of the company director at Toyota GB and the name of the owner of Toyota Japan.

I have told him that the only way for me to stay with Toyota is to change my car for something completely different.

I have copied all relevant posts on here from old and new cars suffering from this problem and will be taking legal action if needed.

I really don't want to do this but I really feel let down by a company that prides itself to be one of the best.

I will be going to Honda if nothing is sorted.

Cars are getting like house builders very slack.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
I too have squeaking brakes (see my other post) & can`t seem to get rid of it.

I just took my avensis for the 600 mile check up they offer on second hand cars, I mentioned 2 faults, one was the front headlight units mist up in all the rain we have been having - they are going to replace the lenses first and if that failes the whole light units under warranty and then the issue of the breaks squeeking, they say I need new break shim pads (dont know what they are...not mechanically minded) but those will be replaced under warranty also, so come 22nd this should be done :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links