Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dilemma

moa55am

Hi to all,

In 1998 I purchased a 2nd hand corolla gti, the drive and performance was amazing.

Then in 2000 bought a bmw 318i fully loaded, had complete leather interior put in as well. Nice drive, comfortable but not that power I had in the gti.

The corolla's interior I found to be one of the best around, not even the bmw 's is as good.

Just recently I came across the corolla t-sport, I'll be taking it for a test drive in the next few weeks.

The car looks mean, My good friend has just bought a brand new civic type r, I've taken that for a spin, and it was absolutely demonic, I think it looks better than the t sport.

I don't know which one to get,

T-sport or type r.

I suppose I'll know more once I go for a test drive on the t-sport.

Most of the reviews I've read on t-sport, seem to say similar things that the car needs to be driven hard and how it lacks the gti edge.

Any comments or suggestions ?

People aren't gonna like this on a Toyota site but

personally I think the Honda looks better but that's about all I can add having never driven either, isn't the Type R more expensive though?

Autocar tested both up against each other recently and they preferred the Honda.

I'm sure the T-Sport owners will try to convince you otherwise though! ;)

If you've got the money and can afford the running expenses, then the Honda is the one to go for, its got the performance, looks, leather seats. I think you have to pay extra for AC though.

On the other hand the Toyota perfoms, but not as fast, has AC as standard, no Leather seats, also has the looks, is cheaper to buy and run and probably more releaible in the long run.

It depends on what you really want from the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets be honest guys the Corolla looks pants next to the Type R!

The Corolla is probably better value for money I would say than the Honda & a bit more refined.Not much in the performance between the two, but if you dont mind the noise of the Honda on a day to day basis then it does look the dogs!!

Come on Toyota, put some 18" rims & lower suspension on the T-sport for starters, then it would have a more aggressive look & it would get a few more admiring glances.

moa55am,

I had a Focus ST170 for a few weeks (brake problems made me give it back) I then did the full re-test, Type R, Seat Cupra, and many other Hot hatches, wanting a car that had performance with out being too boy racerish, and easy to drive every day. The last to in my list where the Type R and the T Sport, having read many reviews, I decided I take my chance with the T Sport (3rd Corolla I've had any way) put all the xtra's on it including leather (but not sat nav) and following a lot of comments in the mags decided to fit 17" tyres.

I'm now thinking of lowering by 30mm just for the looks.

For me at least the T Sport was the better car, much bigger than the Type R, with much more standard equipment.

I've enjoyed the car a lot and look forward to driving it each day. It's very comfortable over a long trip, which I understand can't be said for the Type R.

But as we all know you pays your money and takes your pick.

dub-boy I have to disagree with you, Corolla for me at least look a lot better than the R, but I accept that we all see things differently.

Like you say Jake, its personal choice on the looks but I fully agree with you on it being a better car & better value for money. I was selling Toyotas up until a few weeks ago when I decided to give up the motor trade after 12 years & go truck driving.But its hard to try & make joe public see sense & show them on paper that the Corolla is the car they should choose over the Civic or Clio sport or any other piece of crap they are looking at buying! What I've found is that at the end of the day the majority of people buy on price plain & simple they wont look past the price tag & take into account all the other factors such as reliability, residual value, cost of ownership, etc. After 10 years with Toyota(in service,parts & sales) I know what the choice should be, but suppose I'm still a boy racer at heart & go for the looks everytime. Sorry but I'm a tart! I have had a couple of T-sports as company cars & performance is not a problem as you know!

Come on lets be honest 318 was never going to be the right lump to get was it? Mercedes Benz and BMW in my opinion cant build a 4-cylinder engine to save the life’s but on the other hand probably make the finest 6 and 8 cylinder engines in the world. Mercedes Benz AMG division and BMW M equivalent prove this time and time again. My Farther owns a E55 AMG E-Class and it is out of this world and my Uncle has a Alpina B10 and that is truly awesome. If you had try a 320, 323, or even a 330 I think you would of never looked back.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links