Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I Connect A Headunit Direct To Battery?

dermotos

Hi all,

Im a newbie here, althou i did read a lot here before i registered. (Thx for that tutorial on installing a head unit!!)

Anyway, i have just installed the head unit in my yaris, and its cool & all, but when playing mp3s and wmas from CDs or thru the USB port on the headunit (deadly innit?!) the load time is about 20 seconds. This is annoying, espically if im sitting, say, waiting in the car & listening to the stereo, then start the car. The stereo goes off, and no music for another 20 seconds. And it'll start at the particular mp3 file, but at the start of that file again.

What im asking is, Is it wise to connect both the Red (which normally goes to the power thats live when the ignition or accessory is on) to the yellow (direct bettery connection... nice and thick by the way) wire. Is there a surge from the Battery that could blow my stereo when i start the car? Its fused also, which raised suspicions for me.

I understand the stereo would not turn off when i turned off the engine, and thats fine, its what id like.

YEA another Paddy :D , i told ye we would take over, cant help ya sorry but welcome :thumbsup:

Hi all,

Im a newbie here, althou i did read a lot here before i registered. (Thx for that tutorial on installing a head unit!!)

Anyway, i have just installed the head unit in my yaris, and its cool & all, but when playing mp3s and wmas from CDs or thru the USB port on the headunit (deadly innit?!) the load time is about 20 seconds. This is annoying, espically if im sitting, say, waiting in the car & listening to the stereo, then start the car. The stereo goes off, and no music for another 20 seconds. And it'll start at the particular mp3 file, but at the start of that file again.

What im asking is, Is it wise to connect both the Red (which normally goes to the power thats live when the ignition or accessory is on) to the yellow (direct bettery connection... nice and thick by the way) wire. Is there a surge from the battery that could blow my stereo when i start the car? Its fused also, which raised suspicions for me.

I understand the stereo would not turn off when i turned off the engine, and thats fine, its what id like.

if you look at ur connections on back of headunit im sure there an acc connection, when i put mine itn (panasonic), this allwos it to use power when engine is off. but id didnt want to.

Hi all,

Snip

You can swap them round and nothing will happen, as a plonker from halfruads did it on mine, but i cant see why you would want to :)

Also can you please not DOUBLE/CROSS post, its a bit annoying, and you're going to have different answers in different threads

Hi all,

Snip

Also can you please not DOUBLE/CROSS post, its a bit annoying, and you're going to have different answers in different threads

:huh: Different answers was the general idea. I posted it in the yaris area becuase its a yaris, but then realised that it is applicble to virtually all cars, so it went in the general discussion.

have you much else done apart from the radio?

hello your idea wont work,

the radio goes off when you start the car because the Battery current is being drained by the starter motor the only way around your problem is by having a second Battery for your audio and having a split chagre system, some newer cars, namely bmw have a separate battery/capacitor for the head unit so when you start the car the stereo stays on,

Lee

the radio goes off when you start the car because the Battery current is being drained by the starter motor the only way around your problem is by having a second Battery for your audio and having a split chagre system, some newer cars, namely bmw have a separate battery/capacitor for the head unit so when you start the car the stereo stays on,

lee he's only got a radio not a stupidly big system

if you wire red and yellow togeather you wont have any problems there is a fuse in the main box for the permenant feed it wont damage your stereo and it shouldn't turn the radio off when you start the car either

daz

the radio goes off when you start the car because the battery current is being drained by the starter motor the only way around your problem is by having a second battery for your audio and having a split chagre system, some newer cars, namely bmw have a separate battery/capacitor for the head unit so when you start the car the stereo stays on,

lee he's only got a radio not a stupidly big system

if you wire red and yellow togeather you wont have any problems there is a fuse in the main box for the permenant feed it wont damage your stereo and it shouldn't turn the radio off when you start the car either

daz

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i put my car on the fact it wont work as the stereo already has a pemanent live feed so whys it going to be any better with 2?

Quote darren: 'lee he's only got a radio not a stupidly big system'

why do you think i mentioned the BMW thing?