Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16v Or 8v ?

navygm

Hi,

Just to ask a question...are the vitz 1.0lt 16v or 8v? never knew about this..

and what is the Bhp of a 1.0lt standard?

thanks

68bhp 16 valve

Yeah , 16 v

Most cars nowadays are 16v by standard , even 1.0 l engines.

except for seat. all their cars are 12 v

anyone able to tell me are 8 v or 16 v engines better

amordfish

"except for seat. all their cars are 12 v" :eek:

Think you'll find the VAG engines are not all 12v, very base ones are 12 but then again i think they are in the new aygo and possibly the new yaris.

16v cars are usually better but there is not that much difference! :)

68bhp as standard but I should be doing a rolling road day sometime in the new year so I'll see what mine is running with a GReddy induction kit on there, probably about 69bhp if I'm lucky! :lol::thumbsup:

Most engines are 4 valves per cylinder these days (so a 4 pot will have 16 and 3 pot engines will have 12). Only some fairly exotic stuff that has 5 valves per cylinder.

As a general rule the more valves the better for performance. The key point is volumetric efficiency or how easy it is to get gas in and out of the engine. Intake is more critical than exhaust so you essentially want the largest intake area possible. It's easier to get greater area out of two intake valves than one big one (plus the valve inertia is less so the engine can rev higher)

However 8 valve engines tend to have better idling and low end grunt characteristics. The honda Vtec system acts like an 2 valve per cylinder engine initially and it's only when you get the revs up that it becomes a 4 valve per cylinder unit

Most engines are 4 valves per cylinder these days (so a 4 pot will have 16 and 3 pot engines will have 12). Only some fairly exotic stuff that has 5 valves per cylinder.

As a general rule the more valves the better for performance. The key point is volumetric efficiency or how easy it is to get gas in and out of the engine. Intake is more critical than exhaust so you essentially want the largest intake area possible. It's easier to get greater area out of two intake valves than one big one (plus the valve inertia is less so the engine can rev higher)

However 8 valve engines tend to have better idling and low end grunt characteristics. The honda Vtec system acts like an 2 valve per cylinder engine initially and it's only when you get the revs up that it becomes a 4 valve per cylinder unit

Yeah! Honda VTEC :D

From personal experience, I find a 16v engine feels more responsive and free revving then an 8v.

10x for the info then :)

so maybe mine is about 70Bhp, with a K&N cone filter and a good silencer I think..

if you go back a few years 8v and 16v lumps were in leagues of their own

take the mk2 golf gti.. which came in both 8 and 16 trims

people who wanted low end torque and grunt bought 8valves

people who wanted more top end and revs bought a 16valve

i wont go into technical details

but in modern times designers said 'why have one or the other' and created variable valve timing so you get the best of both worlds