Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cisco.

Ryan1985

Just wondered if the Cisco programmes are worth doing? I'm doing the CCNA1 course type thing just now in university (for free :D ) and wondered if its worth passing? I'm doing CCNA1-4 before I leave university so will they stand me in good stead for a decent job?

Advice/views appreciated! :thumbsup:

If it's free, and you can pass, do it I say.

It's another qualification under your belt, and if it gets you on the ladder for some networking skills, it's worth it.

gets you on the ladder for some networking skills, it's worth it.

I do Computing and Network Support in uni mate so I'd say I've got a few already! :P :D

I probably can pass it if I apply myself, I can't see it being all that hard tbh! :thumbsup:

Go for it mate - i'm doing my CCNA & mcse 2003:security next year.

CCNA's earn big money in IT these days, i've seen contracts going for £250+ a day.

J

Yeah, go for it mate! Every switch and router we use at work is Cisco, and we have about 40 of them!

I did the same CCNA course as you by the sounds as part of my degree, really enjoyed it!

Get in there sunshine! :thumbsup:

CCNA's earn big money in IT these days, i've seen contracts going for £250+ a day.

err - thats not big money James.

dont get me wrong - its not a pittance, but that does not represent big mone - thats more like entry level.

And - to get that money, people will want quantifiable experience, not just a certificate

dont get me wrong - its not a pittance, but that does not represent big mone - thats more like entry level.

And - to get that money, people will want quantifiable experience, not just a certificate

Ok good point matthew, BUT coming out of Uni thats a good wage,

I'd agree about the experiance part though, :yes:

J

i dont come out with that in a week (after tax)

I'd agree about the experiance part though, :yes:

Hopefully got that partially covered guys, hoping to do a placement next year, I just need to find somewhere! :wacko: Its not alot of experience right enough but it shows I have actually worked in a networking/computer based environment! :)

And £250 a day comes out at about £65k a year right (250x5x52)? If my maths is correct, that would allow me to live very comfortably indeed. :thumbsup:

Sometimes i wonder what planet you live on matt!!! :huh::blink:

To a lot of people of this forum (me included) that is a hell of a lot of money! <_<

We dont all make millions every day! I think as admin you could be more tactful in not looking down on the people who suport your site! <_<

Anyway ryan if it wil get you more money and you can easily pass then go for it - it cant do any harm can it? ;)

The links not working for me Gnome? :!Removed!:

Still, that would be a very comfortable wage imo! :thumbsup:

When I started uni 3 years ago they had just adapted the cisco training to our course, but due to teething problems such as staff, costs, number of students, they dropped it halfway through the first year ....... from what I can remember it required a lot of hard work with lots of tests weekly.

Some time in the future I would like to go back to college to re-study cisco as it's only a couple of hundred pounds per semester and I think every employer is after it. You could get your future employer to pay it for you if you didn't want to do it now. But personally I would study it as you have an extra qualification over an Computer Science/IT student like me :P !

Hopefully got that partially covered guys, hoping to do a placement next year, I just need to find somewhere! :wacko:

experience is the big thing - try and get a placement where you get to apply the skills you are learning - as many of them as possible.

Do you need a placement local, or is will it be possible to travel?

I know a government body in Newcastle that could do with IT support, and they use Cisco kit.

you could be more tactful in not looking down on the people who suport your site!  <_<

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone.

I'm presenting actual, real world experience to the poster - my own experience having been in this game for over 15 years.

And I stayed on topic :thumbsup:

Sometimes i wonder what planet you live on matt!!! :huh::blink:

To a lot of people of this forum (me included) that is a hell of a lot of money! <_<

We dont all make millions every day! I think as admin you could be more tactful in not looking down on the people who suport your site! <_<

Anyway ryan if it wil get you more money and you can easily pass then go for it - it cant do any harm can it? ;)

And I stayed on topic  :thumbsup:

Yeah so did i - see above :rolleyes: ;)

Do you need a placement local, or is will it be possible to travel?

I know a government body in Newcastle that could do with IT support, and they use Cisco kit.

In the end up I might be forced to travel if I can't find a local placement but I have a few things hopefully in the pipeline but if they don't pan out I'll let you know Matt, cheers anyway! :thumbsup:

CCNA is definitely worth doing :thumbsup:

I have done a couple of boot camps and have noticed that the trend now is CCNA=£££££ well thats true but employers are now asking for at least 2 years experiance also a couple of interviews that I have been to they have asked me how to configure a cisco once you got it out of the box from memory :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And £250 a day is not bad I wont get out of bed for £750 or £1000 if you have been stupid enough to forget your password for the cisco :lol::lol:

CCNA certification is only valid for three years and is "entry level" - I doubt very much that you'd be able to earn the sort of salary figures mentioned in this thread (perhaps maybe if you were CCNP plus a few years working experience).

If you paid a training company for the CCNA then you'd be talking around the £2-3k mark so it's well worth doing if you can get it for free.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links