Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Look What I Found

SMW

Getting the Xmas tree and decorations down from the loft (attic) when I spot what I assume is a wasp or hornet nest (can anyone confirm this) ?

Should I just leave it where it is or should I remove it - do they return to old nests ?

Also what is the smaller bit that is hanging down a short distance from the nest - is that something to do with it or something else unrelated ?

gallery_2237_55_1133722556.jpg

it looks old, the white thing looks like a spiders egg but on increbily large scale :eek:

You should see what les found in the loft!

To give it perspective the large piece is about the size of a football and the smaller one about the size of a large egg.

It looks like a wasps nest.

Bag it and burn it. Wasps have a tendancy to return to old nests.

The smaller one looks a bit weird. As said, quite large for a spiders egg....

There is no activity near either piece - I was near them for about 20 minutes earlier - no sound or anything.

I thought the small 'pod' might belong to the queen wasp or something ? ? ?

Both are wasps nests and should be empty given the time of year, I have to say it looks a very intricate piece of work. :thumbsup:

The little one is a spider nest - it's like cardboard and disintergrates when you touch it. It has lots of layers inside but it's a nest and not an egg for just one spider, it's for millions of the little things!

The other thing definatly looks like a wasps nest as I did a search on google - and look what I found

23_wasp.jpg

Huge

They should be safe to remove, but if I was you I would try and fill the holes if you can so that they don't come back next year!

You`ve got to admire the work the little blighters put into these things. :yes:

Still don`t like `em tho. :D

This might be a dead wasp.post-17209-1133731861_thumb.jpg

Probably the effort of trying to lift the nest back up knackered the poor little sod. :lol:

poke it with a stick........................dare you

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA reminds me a of a post earlier this year!

Aye, what did you do with that in the end up? Did you poke it with a stick? In your garage wasn't it? :lol:

Aye, what did you do with that in the end up? Did you poke it with a stick? In your garage wasn't it? :lol:

Yes, I remember that. Talk of petrol and all sorts, wasn't there? :o

Be careful with wasps nests. I found a wasp crawling around the carpet at my Mum's last week. It had come down the chimney where we know there's a nest. The wasp was very docile because of the time of year but still capable of stinging you. :yes:

Yep a wasp nest, found one in my attic as I was putting in the insulation. It was not inhabited and I got well rid of it. If your sure that it's not inhabited bin it. perhaps you shoudl take precautions just in case. Goggles thick hat, gloves and get it in a thick plastic bag.

I think I have bats now though, so good luck to them. It not the kind of attic you can store things in so will not be going back in anytime soon.

Right well I'm gonna get both down later - I'll open them up and let you know what crawls out . . . . . . . . :eek:

I had a wasps nest in the back garden in the summer. It was a real nuisance bacause the kids couldn't go out there for a while.

Pest control couldn't come out for 2 weeks when i phoned them so i tackled it myself.

10 foot of drainpipe and 2 cans of "Raid" later and they were all dead (thousands of them). Wouldn't recommend it but it did work a treat.

p.s. I hope SMW comes back!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links