Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Foglamps Or Driving Lamps-the Law

Tibs

anyone know the difference between front foglamps and front driving lamps?

this is regarding the law stating when you can and cannot use your front foglamps etc.

if there is a real difference, then i may change to additional driving lamps on the front of the Corolla.

Any help gladly received guys.

Cheers

Tibs

this is regarding the law stating when you can and cannot use your front foglamps etc.

if there is a real difference, then i may change to additional driving lamps on the front of the Corolla.

Any help gladly received guys.

Cheers

Tibs

tried that argument with a copper :censor:

didnt work i stated that they were not fog lamps that they were driving lamps!

he stated "would you like a £30 fine"??

end of argument :censor:

AFAIK driving lamps are above the front bumper (ie. in line with your headlights), front foglights are below. I've seen an exact definition somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Foglights are for use only when it's foggy :rolleyes: - expect a fine if you use them at any other time.

basically, as Fmrl says, if you have a 'low level' lights, these are consider fog lights, regardless of the bulb...

this is because, the purpose of fog lights is two-fold.

Firstly, they are more visible than normal lights through the fog (as with the rears) changing them to lower bulbs removes this.

Secondly, in real thick fog, main beam headlights actually decrease visibility, you use fog lights to illuminate the road immediatly infront of you, and travel at an appropriate speed.

So, regardless of what you do, if they are set as foglights, it is illegal to use them unless its foggy (or a blizzard)

Poo! :(

Thank you all. Not trying to argue with the police, just checking the defanition, so thanks for your help so far guys. :)

Tibs

But the Celica Lights are defined as Driving Lamps in the user manual so where does that put them??

Also the "driving lamps" on the celica are useless in the fog - they don't help to light up the road at all, but they are quite useful in clear conditions as they really help light up the edges etc - I just daren't use them normally for fear of getting 3 points and a fine.

if they are below the license plate, then they are seen as 'fog lights'.

And their job is not to light the road 'ahead' but as i said, immediatley infront of the car - up to a distance of about 10 metres IIRC

But the Celica Lights are defined as Driving Lamps in the user manual so where does that put them??

I don't usually quote myself but...

AFAIK driving lamps are above the front bumper (ie. in line with your headlights), front foglights are below. I've seen an exact definition somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out.

(Celica's driving lamps are above the bumper line)

Also the "driving lamps" on the celica are useless in the fog - they don't help to light up the road at all, but they are quite useful in clear conditions as they really help light up the edges etc - I just daren't use them normally for fear of getting 3 points and a fine.

I think you might be okay to use them without getting a "foglight fine" but if the combined front headlights plus driving lamps are really bright you'll annoy other motorists on the other side of the road (and if one of those drivers happens to be a copper then this could be something that you could get fined for separately).

I think it's any non main beam light under 50cm from the road. So 4x4's with them on the roll hoops are okay, but the low "driving lights" arn't.

Just turn them off .. it's not big, not clever and doesn't make your mum's shopping car look sporty. It blinds other drivers, is distracting and VERY irritating.

I'm tempted to carry a hammer in my car, and just smash any that I see on when it's not foggy. Either that or get one of those MASSIVE spot light torches, wire it into the 12v of the car and aim it any any inconsidderate muppet who insists on driving about with them on.

I did have an A4 sign with " FOGGY? " on it that I used to hold up to people .. (well, that's the polite version of what it said)

i didnt think there was anything called fog lights know . just low visabiltiy lights for even in hard rain

201: You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211).

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

cant find anything in the good old highway code that mentions Driving lights, only fogs

and it's amazing how far 100m really is .. especially when driving around town ..

I thought driving lamsp came on automaticly with the headlights/main beams, fog lights needed a seperate switch???

I know the ford probes aprear to have front "fog" lights, but they are infact auxillary high beams, the same with the fiesta ZR2is and RS turbos.... so Driving lights only seem to come on with the full beam anyway!

I :censor:ing hate the ranpant :censor:tards that drive about with their :censor:lights on.

recent action includes driving towards them on their side of the road, flashing my full beams and fog lights.... they STILL don;t get the :censor:ing message!!!!

Why the hell do you want them on anyway??? I personally think a £30 fine is far to low. Mayeb 6 points and a £200 fine.

That should hlep discourage the :censor:s

I thought driving lamsp came on automaticly with the headlights/main beams, fog lights needed a seperate switch???

I know the ford probes aprear to have front "fog" lights, but they are infact auxillary high beams, the same with the fiesta ZR2is and RS turbos.... so Driving lights only seem to come on with the full beam anyway!

I  :censor:ing hate the ranpant  :censor:tards that drive about with their  :censor:lights on.

recent action includes driving towards them on their side of the road, flashing my full beams and fog lights.... they STILL don;t get the  :censor:ing message!!!!

Why the hell do you want them on anyway??? I personally think a £30 fine is far to low. Mayeb 6 points and a  £200 fine.

That should hlep discourage the  :censor:s

£200, 6 points, then having the lights smashed, owner kneecapped and then the car having to be put through an immediate MOT (as the fog lights wont work - that's a fail, and the car impounded).

If these drivers don't know how to use a simple switch, what the hell are they doing behind the wheel of a car?

Because Ben, they are :censor:s.

Because Ben, they are  :censor:s.

Hi all

I thought that the difference between driving lamps and fog lamps was as follows:

Driving lamps have a focussed beam like a headlamp and must be wired up so that they can only be lit when main beam is on.

Fog lamps have a diffused light rather than a beam - which is why they work well in foggy conditions when a beam would bounce back off the fog.

In terms of law you would be right about when fog lamps can be used (see posts above) but with driving lamps they can be legitimately used any time your main beam is on (i.e. no oncoming traffic!)

I learned this years ago from my Dad when he was a policeman but could be wrong now!

That sounds about right to me.....

Front fogs have a max height of 1200mm above ground, they must be switched independently of the headlights and remain on with dipped beam / sidelights. They make you look like a c :censor: k when using them and it's not foggy, especially when used in conjuction with sidelights.

Driving lights are properly called additional main beam headlights, there are no restrictions on where you can put them but they must turn off with the main beam headlights (or become a dipped beam, in which case there are positioning rules that apply). They require a lens and reflector to a different standard to fog lights as the beam pattern is different. They can be switched off independently of the headlights if desired.

You could in theory make your fog lights into driving lights by changing the lens / reflector and then changing the wiring to ensure they turn off when you dip your main beam if you really wanted to. It's probably not worth the effort though, if you can't see where you're going it'd be better to invest in a set of uprated bulbs and check the headlight alignment first.

Oh the joys of needing to know the SVA regulations ;)

Well, after all the replies, it looks like I am officially a ******.

quite like my kneecaps (knobbily knees northern champion 14years in a row don't you know.....!) so looks like i wont use them quite so often now. ("Standing corrected your honour".)

Personally, and bound to get loads of negatives on this one, I dont find front fogs over-bright or distracting. They shine down over and are diffused, Rear fogs are dazzling, at eye level and are designed to be seen clearly - unlike front fogs.

Fair enough though, point taken, didnt mean to start a slanging match.

Can we start on those drivers who have those lovely twinkling washer jet lights.........now they are sexy items arn't they! (NOT!) :D :D :D

Tibs

Can we start on those drivers who have those lovely twinkling washer jet lights.........now they are sexy items arn't they! (NOT!) :D  :D  :D

Tibs

Saw a lorry driver with an fibre optic chrimble tree on his dash this morning. I wonder what the highway code says about that? ;)

Cheers,

Jim

"412: Under no circumstance should a Fibre Optic Christmas Tree (of any size) be placed upon the top of the dashboard unless one of the following applies:

a ) Driver is Scandanavian.

b ) 'tis the season to be jolly. Tra la la la laa, la la, la, laa.

c ) Driver is large enough to scare the bejasus out of anyone fool enough to complain. ;)"

I can't get on with fog lights .. It's silly just how bright they are when you are sat on the floor. It's okay when you are sat 4 foot in the air on top of your car .. but for some of us.

And lets not start with the Washerjets, Neons, LED valve caps and exhaust rings, interior neons etc. etc. ..

You should just attach a big rubber phallus to your forehead, it tells the world what you are, in a cheaper and less pikie way :)

All in my opinion BTW, don't want to offend ;)

You should just attach a big rubber phallus to your forehead, it tells the world what you are, in a cheaper and less pikie way :)

But surely, that's covered under not obscuring the drivers vision... But then I'm thinking of the "floppy" type of rubber phallus flopping around the drivers face (the kind you can run around GTA-SA thrapsing people to death with). Maybe the more solid kind of phallus would be okay. ;)

Cheers,

Jim

I have to agree with Ben here.... when you are sat as low as us MR2 drivers it is a lot worse when other have their front fogs on....

In the Yaris it never used to bother me as such... but does now...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links