Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foglamps Or Driving Lamps-the Law

Tibs

I have to agree with Ben here.... when you are sat as low as us MR2 drivers it is a lot worse when other have their front fogs on....

In the Yaris it never used to bother me as such... but does now...

Very true. Went out in a friends sporty little number and noticed that the effect was far worse than when being further up. Plus my left eye can't react to bright light as quick as my right because of an accident so when people use 'em unneccesarily it really fr*gs me off as it leaves me with unbalanced night vision for a few seconds. Feels like I've got my left eye shut. Not good. Although to be fair, I've seen a couple of cars driving around town with normal brightness "fogs" on so I'm guessing they've swapped their bulbs... So, they're shafted when it *is* foggy then! :)

Cheers,

Jim

Had to go into work this morning with my head hung in shame.

A yaris and MR2, both with fog lights on, just because it's a dark morning.... The shame.... :(

Promptly flashed them, whilst giving them a rollocking through my windows... :D

But the Celica Lights are defined as Driving Lamps in the user manual so where does that put them??

I don't usually quote myself but...

AFAIK driving lamps are above the front bumper (ie. in line with your headlights), front foglights are below. I've seen an exact definition somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out.

(Celica's driving lamps are above the bumper line)

No they're not they are in the bumper.

You've got the dipped lights/side lights at the sides above the bumper and the two main beam lights next to them, then you have the "driving lamps" below in the bumper.

I would call them fog lights, and you flick a fog light switch to switch them on! I do occasionally drive with them on as it really helps the poor lighting from the celica but I use them like main beam and switch them off when cars are coming

Front fogs have a max height of 1200mm above ground, they must be switched independently of the headlights and remain on with dipped beam / sidelights.  They make you look like a c :censor: k when using them and it's not foggy, especially when used in conjuction with sidelights.

Driving lights are properly called additional main beam headlights, there are no restrictions on where you can put them but they must turn off with the main beam headlights (or become a dipped beam, in which case there are positioning rules that apply).  They require a lens and reflector to a different standard to fog lights as the beam pattern is different.  They can be switched off independently of the headlights if desired.

You could in theory make your fog lights into driving lights by changing the lens / reflector and then changing the wiring to ensure they turn off when you dip your main beam if you really wanted to.  It's probably not worth the effort though, if you can't see where you're going it'd be better to invest in a set of uprated bulbs and check the headlight alignment first.

Oh the joys of needing to know the SVA regulations ;)

You're halfway there...

Foglights are switched independantly of the headlights and have to have an illuminated switch. There are positional rules that state they should b x amount below the headlights and x amount apart. Foglights only work when the sidelights are on.

Driving lamps are switched by the main beam and go off when the main beams is turned off. (i.e. you can just drive round with them on , because you would have to have main beam on). There is no legislation stating that they have to have a separate switch. But can be operated with a switch, so long as they can only come on when the main beam is selected. (Deep breath).

The other one is spot lamps. These can be fitted so that they work independantly of the main beam and side lights, but have to have an illuminated switch. I am not too sure on the legislation of spot lamps.

All this information is from the instruction manual of a Ring Lights set, it gives you three wiring options as stated above.

I have to agree with Ben here.... when you are sat as low as us MR2 drivers it is a lot worse when other have their front fogs on....

When I had my MR2 I also used to get annoyed by people in transit vans and 4x4s as their headlights always seemed to shine directly into the rear view mirror (and why do they always stop at about 1mm from your bumper at traffic lights?! :censor: ).

Those new hid headlights are even worse.

oh, and not forgetting those people who drive around in cars with incorrectly adjusted headlights - they annoy me too.

Ditto!!!! Even :censor: 4x4 drivers with their dipped beams on are higher then our heads....

I think I need HID's