Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trying To Work Out What A Prev Owner Has Fitted

i b cornish

Hi all,

History:

Shortly after I bought my 1l GLS (second hand) the engine check light came on, so I took it back, they reckoned the speed sensor was tit's so they changed that, even tho the speedo was working fine, but the trip/mpg gauge wasn't.

The light has come on again, so armed with the wiring diagrams, and feeling that this was something more than a quick sensor change, I've ripped apart my dash and found that a previous owner has soldered onto the loom coming out of the dash multidisplay (clock/radio/etc). They have patched into the following wires:-

pin 4 earth (obvious)

pin 7 Ignition/power (again obvious)

pin 16 speed from the digital display why?..................

I have continuity checked the wires to and from the speedo display connector to the multi display and it's fine, so I opened up the multi display and found a surface mount diode blown, so that's why the trip mpg gauge is not working! Hopefully a replacement for that isn't too much.

I'm going to look at the ecu and speedo circuit boards now and see if there are any other blown components, and continue my wiring checks.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers

Mike

Hi all,

History:

Shortly after I bought my 1l GLS (second hand)  the engine check light came on, so I took it back, they reckoned the speed sensor was tit's so they changed that, even tho the speedo was working fine, but the trip/mpg gauge wasn't.

The light has come on again, so armed with the wiring diagrams, and feeling that this was something more than a quick sensor change, I've ripped apart my dash and found that a previous owner has soldered onto the loom coming out of the dash multidisplay (clock/radio/etc). They have patched into the following wires:-

pin 4 earth (obvious)

pin 7 Ignition/power (again obvious)

pin 16 speed from the digital display why?..................

I have continuity checked the wires to and from the speedo display connector to the multi display and it's fine, so I opened up the multi display and found a surface mount diode blown, so that's why the trip mpg gauge is not working! Hopefully a replacement for that isn't too much.

I'm going to look at the ecu and speedo circuit boards now and see if there are any other blown components, and continue my wiring checks.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers

Mike

hi mate

doesnt sound to good to me, to know someones been messing, sorry lad.

Anyways...looking at above myabe theyve fitted an apexi avcr or tried to chip it?

are there any other signs of mods? ie exterior, look for holes where side skirts would go and things like that. did you buy off toyota or a dealer?

the only sign of a mod is a hole 6/7 mm, in the left hand console storage compartment/bin. Other that that is looks stock.

My only thought is it may of been for an alarm, as that may need a speed feed.

The wiring checks out, so I know the signal can get there.

Thanks for the ideas

M

Could be many things ..... one thing you could try is contacting the previous owner by getting there details from the V5 booklet and ask them :thumbsup: !