Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Good Luck Moffmo

Fidgits

MOFFMOS FAQ

You ok dude?

Yeah mate im fine, im grand, the op was a success and had no problems what so ever.

Only niggle i have now is that the side of my head is sore as a !Removed! mans bum, and it REALLY HURTS when i chew hard, and i cant open my jaw very far.

YES, I CANT EAT A MCDONALDS :crybaby: (Cant get my mouth round it)

I ate a snickers earlier.. Ow ow ow ow ow, wont be doing that for a while. Im just hoping i dont get contipated in the next few week!

So you can hear now

Err, No, theres no such thing as a cure for deafness, just AIDS, and thats what this is, its just an aid, its more powerful than a normal conventional hearing aid.

How does it work

Well a normal hearing aid works by amplifiing sound, thats it. Sometimes though it doesnt quite work, It relies on amplifing it so much that your existing crap works. This is like flogging a brand new turbo onto a knakered/old/crap engine. It doesnt work depending on how crap the engine is. Called flogging a dead horse really.

My engine was OK, now its crap, hence the need for a Far more powerful AID.

A cochlea implant is the same thing, an amplifier, but instead of using the existing ear drum and middle ear, it goes straight to the cochlea, which is where converted vibrations are sent out to the brain by the nerves. To do this i had to have surgery to put some electrodes in my cochlea. Then i can connect an EXTERNAL speech processor/microphone/amp to the electrodes inside B)

990207inme2.jpg

howard_cochlear.jpg

With my long hair it shouldnt be that noticable, not that im vain or anything :P

Cool

yes it is isnt it :D

Do you have a hole in your head

Techinally speaking.. yes. Its about 1mm diameter though. Not the size of hole YOUR thinking off.

You got a Battery inside your head?

No.. its powered from the outside, The electrocodes are powered by the thing i connect from the outside

Cool

yeah it is isnt it lol.

So Is it good? Whats your verdict?

I dunno, i have to wait for the surgery work to heal up before connecting it and "switching" it on.

I must point out, my hearing is actually worst for the next 4 week!

what?

haha good one :P

Whens the big date

4 weeks from now

Then youll be able to hear?

Not quite to human standards :P, I should hear almost double what i could before. Thats IF it works.

IF it does, im hoping my quality of life should improve. ITS NOT guaranteed though, i have to "get used" to it.

Hearing is hearing isnt it??

Not when electronics are involved. Imagine how different amps made the difference to your music quality wise.

When its my hearing affected by this, EVERYTHING sounds totally different, and you have to relearn all your sounds (and remember them again).

How long does that take

Forever,

It depends on the person when they get to a "normal" stage, as in they can understand 75% of whats going on around them

cool

You said that twice already

I love you

I love you too

Thanks TOC for the support, it was great!! I LOVE YOU ALL :D, Im not quite finished but hopefully you will see a massive improvement in my interaction and understanding at meets, as well as my speech. but the main word is Hopefully.

Loves!! XXX matt :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moffmo

• Blaze

• Fidgits

• Al J

Top Posters In This Topic

thats great matt, fingers crossed that it all works well mate.

PS. I hope you like my texts last night :blink:

thanks mate:D

yeah... they were errr..

yeah...

That's a great write up of how it works. I knew a little about it but now I feel much more informed, nice one! :yes:

So basically, it's try to forget about it for a month then plug in and begin getting used to it and the 'way' you hear with it, yes?

Good Luck and I hope it all goes brilliantly for you. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: top write up dude, cleared up a fair few questions i had, saved bugging u on msn :lol: best of luck for the forthcoming weeks

So basically, it's try to forget about it for a month then plug in and begin getting used to it and the 'way' you hear with it, yes?

:yes: ! :D

Cheers both of ya

Hiya matt,

i did not know you were going in for an op mate

i'm glad everything went ok for you,

just think in a few months time you may be able to get it chipped :lol:

and you'll hear what we say before we've said it :wacko:

love kimi xx

Best of luck to you mate. Hope all goes well for you :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Hiya matt,

i did not know you were going in for an op mate

i'm glad everything went ok for you,

just think in a few months time you may be able to get it chipped  :lol:

and you'll hear what we say before we've said it  :wacko:

love kimi xx

LOL that would be sooo cool :ph34r:

The support has been overwhelming thank you guys

Recieved like 30 txts last night :wacko:

Thats absolutely great news mate and now you have some more pub knowledge to baffle joe soap with ;)

ooh and they do say chick's dig scars (so why dont they dig me)

and ay aren't hospitals great, lol i spent a few weeks in one when i was about 6/7 to have an operation to fix my feet (i was born with club feet) i think all i survived on was grapes, ritz crackers and dairylea (provided by my gran) i was damned if i was eating hospital food, and at the suggestion of rice pudding my teddy went straight into the nurse's face haha, so i guess you can find yourself almost lucky to have an excuse not to eat the stuff.

get well soon and cant wait to see you out and about :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links