Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D-4d Head Gasket

bigcog

Hi,

I bought a yaris a few months back. A D4D GLS.

At the moment it is at 30,000 miles, but now this issue has got me worried, and I am wondering whether I should get rid of it for something else, as I would not want to deal with a head gasket problem so early.

mine is a 52 plate, is there anyway of finding out whether mine has the steel or alloy block, and therefore whether it will run into early head gasket problems?

Thanks

hash

Anyone got ne ideas?

Thanks

Well to be honest i wouldn't worry to much if you were very worried you can always get RAC insurance that covers mechanical failure (about £240) for 12 months i think or any simalar policy..

all the yaris 4d4 diesel engines have a alloy block and from what others say its just a faulty headgasket that was fitted in early 2002 models I wouldnt read to much in to this alloy block thing its just mechanics don't like anything new.. heads & gear box's have been alloy for years...

A temp gauge would be a good add on as any car without one is more vunrable imho...

Thanks,

I just really hope I dont run into these probs early, cos as far as I am concerned, I absolutely love my Yaris.

Its strange, since I bought the car, today was the first time I saw another D4D on the road

Really? You're obviously not driving on the right roads :D

Mine's a "54" reg so hopefully the issues you're all discussing had been sorted out by October/November 2004

A

honestjohn says that some have head gasket problems up to the 02 models, but then again anyone with 03 onwards may notm have done over 80k yet. so any could be at risk at least up to 02, and if i had one that had done 30k i'd probably consider part-ex'ing before it hits 70k just to be safe.

I have a 52 D -4d which has done 88k, don't seem to have any problems with heating or head gasket. but more to do with air meter or air flow failing. causing engine to be jumpee at idel. taking it to the garage to get it checked. ne 1 else has this sort of problem?

• 2 weeks later...

As the dealer repair had failed I would be tempted to take them to the small claims court to recover the cost

of the repair. Apparently it is quite cheap and easy to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh-oh. Just bought an 02 D-4D as my girlfriends first car...I'm going to check the water regularly and not tell her about this!

You could check out Toyota's extended warranties - available through dealers. For 1.4L cars 3-7 years old and < 100k miles the cost is £320 or £355 (for a 1 year deal) and £490 or £520 (for a 2 year). The lower figures are for < 10K miles p.a.

With the very real risk you run of head gasket failure on 02 diesels this is definitely worth it. My bill for such a failure was £3K (until Toyota decided to subsidise it down to £2.3K).

I've now instructed my wife to start off every morning with the heater on full - when she feels it getting warm after 5 minutes she is then reassured the cooling system is circulating water properly, and can switch it off. This is the only easy way to trap a head gasket failure early (which stops circulation) - before too much damage is done - because on a Yaris you cannot rely on any warning lights, any other sights or sounds, or on the cooling system header tank level falling.

For what it's worth, I'll never buy another car without a temperature gauge - they're priceless!!! They save a manufacturer a few pence, but leave you liable for huge repair costs when you fail to spot overheating problems resulting from loss of water - as happens with head gasket failures. In this situation the absence of a temperature signal is as significant as an overheat signal - but with the Yaris: no water, means no warning.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links