Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Faulty Washer Motor - Please Help!

davros01

I think faulty pump is more likely.

The same pump is used for front and rear jets, it just spins in the opposite direction.

Do check the fuse, as it's a possibility that has blown. But if it has, that's probably just a symptom rather than the cause.

I suspect that either your washer pump has burnt out, or else you have dirt blocking the washer jets. It could even be both as dirt blocking the jets can lead to pump failure.

If there are no blockages in the system then probably the pump was getting weak and couldn't power the water to the back (it's much further to travel, has a non return valve in the line, and only one outlet). Then it probably got weaker still and couldn't really power the front properly either, then died altogether.

I was involved in the design and testing of these things years ago, and they haven't changed much since then, though it's still hard to be absolutely certain what's going on without seeing it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Top Geezers!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Washers NOW WORK!!!!!

Hurray!!!!

Guess what it was???

Go on...

Guessss!!!!!!!!!

"Ice to see you!"

A Clue!!!!

I went out to install the new stereo and fix the washers using your info...I located the pump..a real awkward place...nice one Toyota!

I checked the connection, unplugged it...cleaned it, plugged it back in, and on doing so felt the bottom of the washer bottle, IT WAS STILL FROZEN!!!

Even with anti freeze in the bottle there was a large lump of ice in the bottom that was obviously fouling the pump inlet. I drained out the water from the top of the bottle using a hose and then filled it with red hot water from the tap, left it for 20 mins and then tried it. IT WORKED FIRST TIME.

We really must have had some cold weather! We do a lot of motorway driving so lots of cold air round the washer bottle probably didnt help. So thanks to all!!!

All together now.. "FREEZE A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW...."

I also fitted the stereo in to the dash. THAT WAS EASY!

I have never had such a straight forward install on a car stereo...2 screws at the top behind the heater controls, then off with the dash...two more screws, top and bottom and out it all came , out came the black plastic pocket, in went the new mp3 player and all back together working! It took about 20 mins to do, I was amazed! No hunting for screws, fixing broken bits that snap off for no reason, or dashboard carving. Great.

Makes a bit of a mockery of all the so called experts in Car garages / Halfords / Stereo shops saying "you cant fit a stereo in a Yaris, because of the dash..."

Etc Etc.....

Amyway thanks for all your help, hopefully all will stay working , and HOPEFULLY I wont need more advice....heres to keeping the workshop manual unused!

Regards!!

• 13 years later...
On 12/31/2005 at 12:53 PM, Red Yaris 54 said:

Ah that is easy:

The single pump has three terminals and two water outlets

For front screen wash the positive terminal 2 and the negative terminal 1 are supplied with electricity when the front washer switch is activated. The pump pumps fluid out of the left outlet.

For rear screen wash the positive terminal 2 and the negative terminal 3 are supplied with electricity when the rear washer switch is activated. The pump pumps fluid out of the right outlet.

Simple really..............................I told you I know how my Yaris works 😉

Hello ,I have a 2000 1 liter petrol yarris and was wondering if the window washer pump is in the same place for all yaris's as I can't find a video specifically for mine? 

When I had a Mk1 1999 Yaris the washer pump failed on that, and I got a cheap one off eBay for it.  Of course you could pay more and get one from the official Toyota dealers. There is only one pump, which has 2 outlet pipes. The pump I believe spins its motorised impeller in one direction to supply fluid to the pipe for the front windscreen and in the reverse direction to send the fluid to the other pipe to the rear window.

When I replaced my pump, I had to remove a few screws from the inner front wing liner (in front of the wheel) on the drivers side, pull the liner to one side to gain access to the base of the washer fluid container (which is hidden inside the wing). The pump should have the 2 pipes pulled from it and then the wires pulled out from it and then the pump simply pulls out of its rubber housing grommet in the base of the side of the container. Once the pump is pulled out the container washer fluid will drain out of the hole, so pull the old one out only once the wires have been disconnected first, and then push the new pump in quickly to avoid losing too much fluid. Then connect the push connectors to it and connect the 2 clear pipes to the 2 nipples on the side of the pump. Replace the inner wing liner and screws.

I opened up the old pump to see why it failed and it had leaked internally which had ruined the motor causing it to corrode and stop working.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links