Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Are Some People So Nice

alanbradley

I was going to stick this in the "Vent Your Spleen" section earlier, but decided against it - you'll see why...

Yesterday my sister and I travelled back from our parents' house in Burgundy to her flat in Camberley. We were on the go from about 6:30am (GMT) and arrived and friends of hers in Woking, where we'd left her Yaris, at about 6pm. So far so good...

Anyhow, we arrived in Woking to find that the day or so before some little scrotes (and here I'm being polite as I didn't post in Gold...) had gone along many of the cars in the street (nay, in this case, the driveways) and had punctured not 1, but 2 tyres on most of the cars. Leaving aside questions as to what possible pleasure they could derive from this wanton destruction and vandalism, the question remained as to how the heck we could get the 12 miles to Camberley. I should mention at this point that little sis had neglected to renew her Club Toyota RAC membership when it ran out <_< ...

We decided we would try to inflate the tyres and see if we could limp home and then onward to a tyre fitter's in the morning. We got a lift off another friend who has a car to go and find one of those little compressors that run from the cigarette lighter. Why do you English take the idea of a Bank Holiday so seriously? Homebase? Shut! Tesco? Shut! Sainsburys (the only place open by this point) doesn't stock them... Off over to the garage I traipse...

"Ummm, I don't suppose you sell tyre inflators do you?"

"Er no, sorry. Where's the car? You could use the one out on the forecourt"

"Yes, we would love to, but the car has 2 flat tyres and we only have 1 spare. Someone let the tyres done whilst we were away and we're a bit scuppered"

"I'll tell you what", said the lady, "if you give me your name and address and promise to have it back here before we shut in an hour then you can borrow the one we have for emergencies. We're not meant to do this, you know!"

Much grovelled thanks later and having given them my details right down (practically) to the dog's age and their disbelief that I'd given them an Inverness address we were off, compressor clutched in my greasy mitts.

Anyhow, it wasn't the solution - sadly. They'd used (according to a neighbour whose Yaris was also "hit") syringes and the air was coming out of the sidewall too fast for it to be even vaguely safe so we had to resort to 2 cans of that skooshy sealant stuff, but I did manage to return the compressor along with a box of choccys I'd had in my bag.

So, basically, I want to give a big thanks to the ladies of Woking (or thereabouts) Sainsburys petrol station for taking pity, helping out and restoring my faith in human nature and to Stu and his girlfriend for ferrying us about.

Anyhow, I've been trying to pass on the "Karma" and seem to have spent most of the the day helping strangers lift their bags on and off trains and offering people my seat in the hope that they'll pass it on a bit too.

:unsure:

A

PS But not to the little sods that caused this in the first place :angry: I'd be mad if it was my car, but somehow it was worse because it was little sis's :(

PPS 68 quid for a pair of 14" Fuldas for a 1.0 Yaris CC, but there you go - there weren't no option at 8:30 this morning :rolleyes:

That sucks man, tyreweld is good stuff. I always carry a can with me now.

Unfortunately the only way the kids are ever going to learn is if you catch em at it and threaten to kill them.

Did that to some little twonk who was trying to nick my dust caps.

It was fun tapping him on the shoulder and saying "Shall i break your legs now or later?" :lol: never seen anyone run that fast...

Got to feel for you there, I'll never understand how people get pleasure from going out of their way to make random people's lives more difficult, it's a good job Sainsbury's helped you out, a lot of places wouldn't.

I completely understand about it being worse because it was your sister's car too, if some1 does something to me I can usually just get on with things but if they do something to a member of my family it's a different matter altogether.

I bet you weren't cool, calm & collected after that.

The little darlings obviously know that by skewering a sidewall they effectively knacker the tyre, bleeding heart liberals would probably send them on an all expenses paid trip to a holiday destination of their choice but I'm afraid I would rather perform an opperation that would guarantee that these little sh1ts could never produce any offspring that could carry on the wanton destruction and vandalism that seems to invade their tiny little single cell organism that resides in the space between the ears and as far as the parent are concerned, the offending little darlings should be inserted back to the orafices they appeared from!!!!!

Leeky: Yeah, I think I'll be adding a can to the on-board crap box too.

Kev: No, I wasn't hugely - I just wanted to get home... But yeah, its worse when it happens to someone you care about and aren't sure quite how they would have managed if you hadn't been there...

Les: I'm not normally either violent or threatening, but if I'd caught hold of them last night (or even now) I would be tearing them a new bum-hole...

Cheers folks,

A

I'll never forget, we'd only lived here two weeks and some little so-and-sos did Richs tyres in.... little brats! Surely they should be in school or prison or something.... :ffs:

God bless the ladies in Woking Sainsburys petrol station though! :thumbsup:

I hate the idiots (chavs in most cases) that do stuff to cars

a mate of mine nearly had his fiesta stolen on new years eve - some chavs smashed the rear window and got it open got it started and backed it down the drive until they realised they couldnt break the steering lock so they got out

its sad that someone that at some point in their life will be cruising around in their pride of joy who'd feel the same way we feel if their car was damaged goes around messing with others cars

Unfortunately the only way the kids are ever going to learn is if you catch em at it and threaten to kill them.

It was fun tapping him on the shoulder and saying "Shall i break your legs now or later?"  :lol:  never seen anyone run that fast...

who did the runnning u or them :P

Sorry to hear your tale of woe, Alan but glad you could see through it to the kindness of the lady at the garage.

We often hear about the nasty side of life but rarely about those nice people out there. :yes:

Maybe we should start a "Someone was very nice to me today" thread. ;)

My parents bought me a small compressor for Christmas a few years ago and that (and a decent tyre gauge, the one on it is rubbish) are never out of the car. I think a can of tyreweld might well join them in the boot tomorrow.

There was a report on our local TV news a few days ago about someone doing this to a whole street of cars. Mainly both nearside tyres. When they caught him, it was a bloke old enough to know better, not some teenage or younger vandals.

Sadly, there are some people out there whose parents went swimming in a very shallow gene pool.

Thankfully, they are still in the minority.

Tyreweld (and any other similar products) in my proffesional opinion, are dangerous.

OK, you might think they get you out of a sticky situation... but think of it this way.. you get a slow puncture, you put in tyreweld and, if your lucky, it seals up the leek (they don't alway's work), then you forget about it and don't get a proper repair done... after a while your driving along and you run over a nail (say 3" in length.. very common size of nail in punctures) this nail goes into the tread of the tyre but very close to the sidewall... the tyreweld spots it and seals it up before you even know there is a nail in your tyre (the nail is near the inner sidewall, so you can't see it unless you are down on all fours checking) next, your driving on the motorway at 70mph (remember, you have a 3" nail in your tyre.. sitting very close to the sidewall) whats the chances of a blowout?.. whats the chance that IF the tyre blows out at 70mph that you are going to remain in control of the vehicle?.. whats the chances that you.. or any other road users around you, are going to survive a road accident at 70mph on a crowded motorway IF you fail to keep control of the vehicle?

OK... i've took this to an extreme.. but a plausable extreme.. it CAN and DOES happen, STAY AWAY from these products... if you get a puncture you should put your spare wheel on the car (thats why it's there) if you are unlucky enough to get more than one puncture, the phone the AA or RAC or whatever roadside assistance you have.. if you don't have any roadside assistance.. then it's time to "phone a friend" to get a lift with the wheel(s) to a tyre dealer.. if friends aren't available, you bite the bullet and call out a mobile tyre fitter, don't use tyreweld products.

I know that some cars (new mini for example) don't come with a spare wheel as standard, you get a can of tyreweld.. this is really usefull when you hit the kerb and take a chunk out of the sidewall and damage the wheel.. you would be stranded.. this is why a spare wheel in good condition is essential (even if it is a space saver).

Jeeeeeesus.. this got a bit long winded :lol: all i'm saying is.. if you get a puncture, get it fixed properly.. don't cut corners. Tyres are the only part of the car in contact with the road.. think about it.

Alan.. sorry to hear of your problem.. but glad you got it sorted. Fulda's aren't a bad tyre.. they are made by Goodyear.. so reasonable quality :thumbsup:

Little :censor:s!

My wife had her "security" dust caps knicked from her car last year. Worst bit was the :censor:s scratched the alloys in the process. Next time, I'm ready... Sodium on the dust cap, covered in a light film of oil... get that on yer thieving little digits! Just have to remember to wear gloves to pump the tyres up! ;)

Woking is a :censor: hole stuff like that happens alot, I try not to go to woking and if I do, I only park in the Toys R Us ar park as it has camera's <_<

cfc1 - There is nothing wrong with tyre weld as long as it is only used to get you to the garage to have the tyre fixed/changed. I'm sure the can I've got says you can't drive at more than 30mph with it in anyway :thumbsup:

That sucks dude. At least the nice lady in Sainsbury's helped you out.

Homebase & Tesco were shut? They were open up here in Banbury on Monday, and our town has a population of just 60,000.... :D

cfc1 - There is nothing wrong with tyre weld as long as it is only used to get you to the garage to have the tyre fixed/changed. I'm sure the can I've got says you can't drive at more than 30mph with it in anyway :thumbsup:

Read my post again......

but think of it this way.. you get a slow puncture, you put in tyreweld and, if your lucky, it seals up the leek (they don't alway's work), then you forget about it

thats why it can be dangerous.

Not all drivers are as clever as you and me.. i mean, look at some of the numty heads we have on TOC :lol:

:ffs: I would be incredibly annoyed if that had been done to me too, some people just dont care for other peoples property at all.

It's certainly nice to hear of the ladies in the petrol station being so nice and helpful tho :yes:

It was fun tapping him on the shoulder and saying "Shall i break your legs now or later?"  :lol:  never seen anyone run that fast...

A group of three were nicking mine and my dads from the driveway... i saw them outta the widow and proceeded to blast out the front door and chase them down the street... now that's got to be scary... 18 stone of pure bulk hauling after three scallys! They eventually stopped and threw them back... i needed an ambulance! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links