Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Confused...

TheNissanMan

OK First a little bit of history....

When I bought this MR2 back in October I had all sorts of problems with the local garage I bought it from which ended up resulting in the fitting a new engine due to s asiezure and no oil after 200 miles of purchase blowingthe big ends...

The clutch has started to slip after 7.5 months of them fitting a new one. I asked for a Toyota Clutch, they fitted an ADL Denso Clutch with 12 month warranty, as I don't have it in writing and they can't recall what I asked for this is now irrelevant.

I have spoken with ADL and the garage in question (no names will be given yet) and they have said that they will check the clutchj and if it is faulty pick up the tab for labour and parts, if it's anything else, oil in the bell housing etc I would be liable for costs.

I have now got to thinking if it is oil in the Bell Housing surely that would be down to the work they carreid out fitting a new engine 7.5 months ago as well so they should be liable, am I wrong here.

I have spoken with ADL who have said that I can take the car to any garage in the area and get them to take the clutch out and if it is at fault they will replace the clutch and pay for labour. The reason I asked this is I don't trust the garage who did the original work.

Main question to start with...

1) If it is oil in the clutch shouldn't the original garage be at fault as the car has only had the engine for 7.5 months ?

No need for confusion here....

Unless the garage in question expressly agreed with you a Warranty exceeding 7.5months for the engine, OR

Unless the suppliers of the engine to the garage expressly agreed a warranty period not affected by your garage doing the fitting then....

NO CLAIM CAN BE BROUGHT

Sorry.

Loz LLB Hons

See sale of goods act amendment 1995

14.2 merchantable quailty

14.4?? fit for th epurpose it was intend

it was and you bought it with no futher warranty right?

Ryan,

Sounds to me like a badly fitted new seal or even worse an old seal not replaced when your 'new' engine was fitted. Having a faulty clutch is extremely unlikely. Looks like you're going to have to dig deep for a new clutch and new crankshaft oil seal. I don't know how easy it is to get to the clutch on an MR2, but can you not do this job yourself? Perhaps you can do it as a demonstration feature at JAE. We can all sit around and watch you. :lol:

Nick

Ryan,

I don't know how easy it is to get to the clutch on an MR2, but can you not do this job yourself? Perhaps you can do it as a demonstration feature at JAE. We can all sit around and watch you. :lol:

Nick

Now Nick, don't be mean to Ryan.

We'll pass him a beer as & when he needs it under the MR2.......

It is defaintely an engine out jobby...

ADL (The Clutch manufacturer have said they will cover labour if it is the clutch, else I have to pay !!!

I'll have to put up with it for a while and then hope it is the clutch...

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your problem. If the clutch slip is due to oil leak, it is nowt to do with the clutch itself, thus it won't be covered by the warranty. Also like NickE, said thesedays clutch itself problem is relatively rare.

ADL usually supplies parts which is originally supplied to the manufacturer. Most Toyota parts are manufactured by Aisin and Denso and ADL gets parts from them too.

As regards to the labour costs, it think it is high due to the nature of complexity of the design of MR2.

Ryan,

As Loz says, engine out is too much to attempt at JAE, that is if you want to party as well. If you do want to do the job yourself I am very willing to come and help some other time - will probably need to dedicate a weekend to the job. I have never attempted a mid-engine job before but have removed, fixed and refitted many engines in my time. It is not a job to be frightened of as long as you are methodical, all you need is a new clutch and seal, a decent place to do it, a good set of tools and a Haynes manual.

Nick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links