Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4age Ecu

vteckiller

Hi,

I am a new member of this forum and i am glad that alot of people still respect the 4age. I am in need of a little help as what programmable ecu can i get for my car-AE82 4age. I want to run very aggressive cams so i need a computer that will suit the setup. i have bought the following for my car 304 cams, pullies, injectors, fuel pump, boost valve, exhaust system, head work carried out and skimmed and i have decided to put it all together. The only major factor is the ecu so if any one could help it would be great. Thanks.

Hi,

I am a new member of this forum and i am glad that alot of people still respect the 4age. I am in need of a little help as what programmable ecu can i get for my car-AE82 4age. I want to run very aggressive cams so i need a computer that will suit the setup. i have bought the following for my car 304 cams, pullies, injectors, fuel pump, boost valve, exhaust system, head work carried out and skimmed and i have decided to put it all together. The only major factor is the ecu so if any one could help it would be great. Thanks.

sorry got no answer for you, but just wondered what sort of bhp you thought you would get from that set up? going to be going down this road with mine not to far away

WHAT THE!!! if you got that set up right (via ecu) then maate your looking at VTEC-MUNCHING!!! theyre only 7.1secs 0-60 and your standard is around 7.4-7.5 so you should get a 7 or below hopefully

Ive read LOADS and LOADS of reviews about the Dastek unichip! and everything has been positive so id get that, but if you are LOADED then go for the motec, the untimate Engine management system, or even omex (1000.00 fitted full engine management system)

Thanks for the interest. For Bhp I would be happy if getting about 160 to 170bhp and thats my engineer saying its a realistic target. As for being a vteckiller my car with its standard engine got 16 seconds on quater mile, thats with a slight blowing exhaust. i have raced tuned vtecs i.e manifold, exhaust systems and chiped ecu's and kept up to them in 1st gear and 2nd but as mine cuts out at 7500 they pull away and admittedly thay go in 3rd by 2 car spaces. But remember thats a civic that is slightly modded. So for a standard civic easily trash them. My 2nd engine is the one that is being modded and will drop it in this summer. All i need to do is save up for an ECU. Any one knows of prices.

WHAT THE!!! if you got that set up right (via ecu) then maate your looking at VTEC-MUNCHING!!! theyre only 7.1secs 0-60 and your standard is around 7.4-7.5 so you should get a 7 or below hopefully

What V-Tec you on about? My V-Tec was timed by AutoCar at 5.7 for a 0-60 ..

you have a few options. greddy emanage, apexi power fc or if your loaded MoTec. i have the motec unit on the rolla but it may be a little to much on an N/A. on a turbo car it is one of the best ECU's availiable. expect to pay about £1200-£1500 for MoTec. apexi power FC is very good and a unit can be had for about £500 plus fitting and mapping

Yeah i was talking about the 1.6 civic and Crx vtecs, not them rubbish lsi vtecs, a golf buggy would thrash them!

what about the dastek? thats only 400-500 depending on where you are in the uk and thats all in!!

you have a few options. greddy emanage, apexi power fc or if your loaded MoTec. i have the motec unit on the rolla but it may be a little to much on an N/A. on a turbo car it is one of the best ECU's availiable. expect to pay about £1200-£1500 for MoTec. apexi power FC is very good and a unit can be had for about £500 plus fitting and mapping

I was also thinking about apexi power fc will that be adequate for a N/A set up like mine? And all for a price of 500! do you have details of where i can get one for that price in the Uk. i thought power fc was alot more.

500 + fitting and mapping, and you take it to a company like thor racing in kenilworth and you might aswell get your yard remortgaged and prepare yourself for bread and water for the next 2years as otherwise you wont be able to afford their prices!!!

but the mapping and fitting could cost a few hundred also, speak to ae11SR he had dastek on his and his gains were amazing!!!

he only gained a few extra horses with motec on the same set up. hes the guy with the 198hp corolla Sr silver one

the only problem with dastek is that all it does is adjust the signals going to and from the ecu. it is not a standalone system. as such it it can only adjust a few points either way. this may be fine but may not provide enough adjustment for some applications. i have seen countless dead engines in gt4s with this ecu fitted. now that may be down to mapping but it also highlight dasteks short commings. AE111SR has now gone to MoTec as the dastek was not up to the job he wanted. dastek could not adjust enough to cope with his set up somethin MoTec, and other stand alone EMS can!

thor are NOT the only places to map apexi there are others so shop around

The Dastek was fitted to my supercharged 4a-gze. This had a Fensport crank pulley (increased boost from stock 8psi to 12psi), straight through 2.5" exhaust with competition cat, air filter, front mount intercooler and other bits and pieces. with out the Dastek I had 169bhp and with the Dastek 187bhp so an increase of 18bhp. But with my engine it was only able to control the fuelling (over fuelling badly without the Dastek) - it could not control the ignition timing. Toyota had very kindly built an feedback circuit from the ignitor to the ECU - if the ECU detects that the spark has not occurred when it expects it to then it just alters it to spark at the correct time - no matter how to you try to change the timing the ECU changes it back again.

As Dawsey said the Dastek takes the signals from the sensors and alters them before they get to the ECU. The ECU then acts on the altered info it receives and sends out injector and ignitions signals accordingly. I also tried the HKS FCON SZ in the system but the engine would not even start so that was a no go as well The FCON works in a different way in that it modifies the signal going from the ECU to the igniter.

All my experimentation was in an effort to get rid of a huge power dip at 5,500rpm which was limiting the engine's power output. I eventually decided that it was a knock related problem and was hoping to be able to retard the ignition at say 5,00rpm and them increase it again at about 6,000rpm but I couldn't find any piggyback chip that would allow me to do that because of the feedback circuit. In the end I decided to cut my losses and go with something I knew would do the job - hence the MoTeC M4 which I'm now running. This does not have the know sensor attached and does not need the ignitor feedback circuit - in fact the Toyota ignitor has been replaced with a Bosch unit.

With the MoTeC I'm now pushing out 198bhp so that's an increase over the Dastek of 11bhp not much perhaps but that makes it an increase of 29bhp over the stock ECU.

My conclusion - the Dastek is good at what it does but wasn't right for my engine and the only thing I could do was to get a completely standalone EMS. I went for the MoTeC because there are lots of places in Britain (and beyond in the rest of the world) where I can get support, should I ever have a problem with it God forbid.

The ECu was not seeing any feedback signal from the ignitor - no feedback signal no start.

how much would some1 be looking at for a motec fully fitted and mapped?

Mr local garage advised me about the omex fully programmable ecu, and said it was the best hes ever worked with and had EVERYTHING, (but then even as little as i know, i know motec is waay better just that he probably aint done 1 yet)

so has any1 ever tried an Omex, i got a quote of 1250 fitted and mapped.

MoTeC M4 will cost you £900 + VAT for the bare unit, then add on lots of cash for fitting and mapping - mine cost £1600. This is because mine was the first 4A-GZE to be fitted in this contry and there was no base map to work from - it all had to be done from scratch. It should be a lot cheaper if there is abase map already in existance.

Omex have a website where you should be able to find more info but there isn't a list of suppliers/tuners so I would ask some questions about where these people are. Think about if your dealer goes out of business - where else can you get support?

I run Omex management on my 20v AE86, and its great! It works alot better than the motec system designed for the 4AGE, and i have many people i know that agree! But i agree that motec works alot better on turbo cars etc!

I bought the ECU, wiring loom and all sensors including the pickup rotor to go on the crank pulley for the crank sensor for less than a grand and fitted it all myself and then got it mapped! Its wicked stuff! Need to get it back on the rollers to adjust the timing and fueling though, as it spits massive flames out the exhaust at some points! Looks cool though! haha

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links