Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whistling Noise In The Engine

ytsport

anybody know wats causing it?? i was driving around and notice the whistling noise when i accelerate, this has never happen before and only happens when u accelerate. hope its nothing too serious

If it's a diesel, the it will probably be the turbo, and is normal. If not then it's worth checking pipes between the engine and the air-filter, and also any vacuum pipes (e.g. to the brake servo)

Richard

anybody know wats causing it?? i was driving around and notice the whistling noise when i accelerate, this has never happen before and only happens when u accelerate. hope its nothing too serious

I'd suggest the crankcase ventilation system (PCV, Positive Crankcase Ventilation) might be leaking. This is the system provided for directing the blow-by gases that get past the pistons into the crankcase back into the combustion chambers to be burnt, so that they are not released into the atmosphere. The suction that draws these gases back to the chambers increases as the RPM increases. In fact, normally one should be able to feel an increasing suction as the engine revs up, if one puts a finger to the hole on the engine exposed by disconnecting the ventilator hose (the standard PCV valve testing procedure).

There are two crankcase ventilator/breather hoses. One end of these two hoses can be located on the back of the 1" raised long ridge behind the 4 ignition coils on top of the cylinder head; one at either end. In the 2NZ-FE engine, however, both are at the transmission end, a picture of which, as luck would have it, is here highlighted in yellow, the 3rd picture down: http://www.msnusers.com/Sorensonbrian/yourwebpage.msnw

Trace the whole lengths to see if there is any crack, or slit, and whether their union with the short stubs from the engine is air tight. Tighten the clips if necessary. Make sure there is no leak here.

However, if you are not too sure what you are doing, or if a careful investigation reveals nothing amiss, then I think it is best to turn that over to a trained mechanic!

--

Bee.

how fast are you going? the whistle could be comming from the vents

Yeah I had that problem on the Yaris Blue with whistling wing mirrors, do did Al J. Have you got a P1 or P2? Al and I both have a P2 which suffered from it, not saying all P2's do tho...

yeah its a tsport and its def not the mirror cause i was only doing 20-30 mph, u cud only hear it when u r revving.

but for sum reason the whistle is gone now, havent heard it after that night tho im stil have to get the car fully checked for mot soon hopefully will find out the problem

I had a strange noise with low revs, the problem was with the Tension(sp) belt

I agree, usually belt tensioner pulley.

I had it replaced twice under warranty on my Avensis & it has started whistling again!! :censor:

Bought a 1.3L Yaris last week & guess what...............belt tensioner pulley whisling! :censor:

I spray a little bit of WD on it & it goes away for about 4-5 days.

Will have the Yaris repaired under warranty, but will have to put up with the Avensis,- not spending £200 to have it replaced.

Seems to be a very common problem on VVT-I engines.......

I had it replaced twice under warranty on my Avensis & it has started whistling again!! :censor:

Bought a 1.3L Yaris last week & guess what...............belt tensioner pulley whisling! :censor:

Will have the Yaris repaired under warranty, but will have to put up with the Avensis,- not spending £200 to have it replaced.

I have the same noise on my T Sport Yaris. I can hear it clearly when the car is stationery with the engine ticking over but its not every time I use the car. After a minute the noise disappears. I am going to show my ignorance of engines by saying if its the belt tensioner pulley, if its not addressed whats the damage to the engine? The car is going in for a winter check in a T dealer so I could always ask them to check it out.

Thanks

I have the same noise on my T Sport Yaris. I can hear it clearly when the car is stationery with the engine ticking over but its not every time I use the car. After a minute the noise disappears. I am going to show my ignorance of engines by saying if its the belt tensioner pulley, if its not addressed whats the damage to the engine? The car is going in for a winter check in a T dealer so I could always ask them to check it out.

Thanks

It won't cause any major issues but will start annoying you with the persistent noise! I would demand it is changed........... whilst having your winter check.

stupid question but, you've not got a diesel have you?

actually i dunno - but someone will be here soon

I have bought a second hand 3.0 1KZ turbo diesel engine and I wonder if the turbo is working or not. I can't hear any wishling is it because the engine is too strong or is there a specific rpm/speed that I can check the turbo?

Thanks,

John