Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr Rumble

mini1400

Just joined the Yaris brigade :)

One slight problem....

When turning left the exhaust rumble gets LOUDER, & when turning right it's almost silent...

I take it that the exhaust is loose then :)

Any other bits I should check while I'm under there?

Just joined the Yaris brigade :)

One slight problem....

When turning left the exhaust rumble gets LOUDER, & when turning right it's almost silent...

I take it that the exhaust is loose then :)

Any other bits I should check while I'm under there?

I've never heard of anything like this before, this is odd... Curious to see the outcome!

Sounds more like a warn cv joint or a bearing to me.....

Welcome to the club by the way :)

Welcome to TOC! :thumbsup:

Very odd.... strange it doesnt do it the other side... could it be catching on something?

Apart from that - sorry, I'm a girl! :lol::lol:

Hi and welcome! :thumbsup:

Even though I'm a guy, I can't really help but it sounds dodgy all the same! :yes:

Welcome! What a good choice of Yaris you made there ;) :P

How old is your car? Mileage? Good service history? Not experienced this problem myself or read about it here recently.

Selfbuild's suggestion of a worn CV joint or bearing is a good thought - but I'm a little unsure as these cars are not really that old, hence the questions above. What kind of use has it had? Was it ever fitted with an aftermarket exhaust and replaced? This might be something to consider as SRs come with a TTE chrome finisher as standard (upto 2001 I believe) and then just a plain chrome one after that (as mine). People commonly change these and/or the exhaust.

Let us know :thumbsup:

Welcome! What a good choice of Yaris you made there ;) :P

Cheers - it is the better half's car - she chose it!

How old is your car? Mileage? Good service history? Not experienced this problem myself or read about it here recently.

Details of the car: W reg, 20K miles, 3 owners, full service history (every year @ 2000 miles :eek: ), just been MOT'ed...

Pics here

Selfbuild's suggestion of a worn CV joint or bearing is a good thought - but I'm a little unsure as these cars are not really that old, hence the questions above. What kind of use has it had? Was it ever fitted with an aftermarket exhaust and replaced? This might be something to consider as SRs come with a TTE chrome finisher as standard (upto 2001 I believe) and then just a plain chrome one after that (as mine). People commonly change these and/or the exhaust.

Let us know :thumbsup:

Well, she went to an exhaust center yesterday for a quick check - they couldn't find anything wrong with the exhaust. Also had a look at the suspension / driveshafts / CVs - all looked OK.

Just got the Haynes manual - will have to check that the manifold support bracket is still there ...

which part of Essex are you from? There are few Essex members here :)

Just outside Braintree....

Cheers for the help so far...

Not another Silver SR :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: !

*btw do you have a TTE logo stamped on your exhaust?

looks like a TTE one to me, judging by the size of it in the rear photo, looks like mine.

Moooooooooooo!!!! :lol:

Not another Silver SR :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: !

*btw do you have a TTE logo stamped on your exhaust?

Yep! the missus has just checked...

When the car turns Lt., is this louder exhaust noise accompanied with an increase in RPM? Because if it does, the attention needs to be focused on a disturbance in the engine combustion rather than a mechanical fault elsewhere.

--

Bee.

When the car turns Lt., is this louder exhaust noise accompanied with an increase in RPM? Because if it does, the attention needs to be focused on a disturbance in the engine combustion rather than a mechanical fault elsewhere.

--

Bee.

Engine revs don't go up at all, and it only really apears when the engine is under load.

oh it's a tricky one. :blink:

I had a problem I little like this, I was sure it was a C.V. Joint. :thumbsup:

In the end it was down it the Left Front brake cover, it was not fitted properly at the last Service. :eek:

It sounded so much like an exhaust to me, since the cover has been refitted, It's been fine. :D

Engine revs don't go up at all, and it only really apears when the engine is under load.

So we come back to a mechanical cause. Can we assume that the pivot bolts and their associated rubber bushes at either end of the rear axile have been examined by the car mechanic and are functioning normally?

--

Bee.

Have you got the passenger window down??!! :lol: :!Removed!:

Sorry... just felt like being a twerp! :lol:

Just spent an hour looking at it - even rigged up the camorder to look at what's happening while moving :)

Anyway, the exhaust is hitting and on further investigation I found that the right hand engine mount is probably shot :unsure:

Just want to check with you guys - are you ment to be able to pull the rubber out of the mounting wihout undoing anything :eek:

Best place to get one from? Any aftermarket poly types?

OK, progress on the rumble...

It's not the right hand engine mount - I was looking at the buffer rubber & not the mount itself :blush:

Have had the driveshafts out & repacked the inner & outer CV joints - still no different...

Mehanic friend of mine took a look and suggested it might be the clutch? Possible oil contamination?

His reasoning goes like this:

Put car in 1st gear and have the handbrake on. Without using the throttle SLOWLY lift the clutch. If you can hold it just before the engine stalls (ie about 500rpm) there is the same rumbling noise....

Just tried it on my Alfa and that makes the same noise doing this test BUT it doesnt when going round corners...

Can someone else try this test for me and let me know if your car makes the noise?

Many thanks

Standby for loads of posts about worn out clutches ;) ;) :D

The only noise i experienced was the usual revving low sound, nothing untoward

Nick

cheers - OK clutch is looking more probable...

clutch is looking more probable...

Thanks for keeping us informed, mini1400. I'm most interested.

My car, a clutchless manual Freetronic, has no rumbling noise at any time from anywhere. :D

--

Bee.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links