Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1990 Corolla Gti Repairs

webtrawler84

hello all this is my first time on here but from what I can see I will be here more often from now on.

Anyway, A few weeks ago I got my self a new car. A 1990 Toyota Corolla 1.6 GTi.

I have started doing work to get it back to some state of repair but I am having real problems with rust.

This is the first car that I have attempted to restore / repair and I really need some guidence.

Being only 21 and on a low wage there are limitations on my abilities and budget.

can you please give some advice on how to treat this.

The Main Points are as Follows:

Both front Wings are Rusty - Found Replacement From wings and will be ordering soon

Tailgate Rusty - Replaced and Resprayed (or at least had ago)

Some rust emerging under passenger windows. - PLEASE HELP

Rusty Sunroof - PLEASE HELP (not leaking yet but look like it could start to soon).

The person that I had it off had really done a job on the sunroof (mainly involving bad fibreglassing and fillering).

Can anyone suggest places that I am able to get parts for this from I already know about fensport and of course eBay but was wondering if there are any others about.

Any help on this would be great.

thanks in advance

Glad to see your bringing back to life a classic AE92! Cool cars!

Well sunroofs are only available from Toyota for around £100-150 for the panel! Not cheap but no other choice im affraid! Unless you can get someone to repair it nicely!

And the rust under the passenger windows, i take it you mean its emerging from under the scraper and window seals?

If so remove the seals to see how bad the rust is, if only surface, you could rub it down, get rid of the rust then paint, but it its got holes through the metal, then best bit is cut out the old rust and weld in some new metal, or bodge it with fibreglass and filler!

Glad to see your bringing back to life a classic AE92! Cool cars!

Well sunroofs are only available from Toyota for around £100-150 for the panel! Not cheap but no other choice im affraid! Unless you can get someone to repair it nicely!

And the rust under the passenger windows, i take it you mean its emerging from under the scraper and window seals?

If so remove the seals to see how bad the rust is, if only surface, you could rub it down, get rid of the rust then paint, but it its got holes through the metal, then best bit is cut out the old rust and weld in some new metal, or bodge it with fibreglass and filler!

thanks for the advice mate.

From the Minute is sore this car I fell in love with it (faults an all).

its a real shame that these cars dont get the TLC they deserve.

So far I have done the following:

New Rear Calipers, Discs and pads - old ones had stopped working and discs were warped.

New Front Pads

Replaced Boot - Removed and smoothed Rear wiper as there was no wiper motor

Replaced alloys and Tyres - 15" TSW Heats with Yokohama 195-50-15 Tyres

Replaced Power Steering Belt and Fan Belt - Fanbelt Snapped on me about a month ago. Require Tensioning Bolt as this snapped whilst replacing (fine for now but needs to be done)

Things that are going to be done soon:

Full Mongoose SS Exhaurst

Blitz Panel Filter or K & N - how does the Air intake work on these do they have air flow meters or will a univeral cone filter work ok?

suspenson - lowering a possibility but mainly want to replace old parts and improve handling (any suggestions)

Lexus Style Rear Lights

I have heard that 5 gear on these have a tendoncy to pop out. how can this rectified when it does happen? will I have to replace the gearbox or can the current one be repaired / Altered.

Any help and suggestions are great

Thanks Again

I had the 5th gear issue, started on my AE92 at 115K, found little known place in Bradford that did recon box inc fitting for £340 (with 2 year guarantee). Been fine since done over 6000miles on new box now.

http://www.cleckheaton-gearbox-centre.co.uk/

I restoring my car just little slower, fixed most things on my car now just got the rust in usual places to fix sunroof, front wing, and tailgate. However that going to have to wait till summer till it bit warmer!!

Phil.

for getting rid of rust, get a zip wheel for a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. these are like wire wheels but the screw on the grinder and are very effective. they get right through the rust and back to steel. coat with finigans No1 , prime and paint. would reccomend removing the interior and arch liners as there are a few hot spots for corrosion under these, especialy the rear strut turrets.

if you can invest in a mig welder and you can save a good amount on welding costs.

ive just about finnished a complete strip down of my rolla and shes just about rust free now (a good dose of waxoil in the cavities left to do)

while you're doing the rust repairs, check around the front windscreen and A pillars, as they seem to go quite badly round there.

Also, check the sills (especially the back) and the area around the bottom of the rear suspension turrets (these places will fail an MOT if bad). May as well do it all at once :D

As for the gearbox, i think you can still buy 5th gear synchro from toyota, but it's probably cheaper gojng for a recon box, or one from a breakers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links