Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Big Bore Back Boxes And Insurance

Braindead

Hi

Just bought a car to teach my lad to drive in - the Prius is hardly a typical car and automatic.

The car I bought is a 1997 Seat Ibiza. The guy we got it off had a big bore back box on the exhaust - looks like a chrome drain pipe and sounds like a wet f**t.

Anyway, when applying for insurance they ask if there are any non-standard mods to the car. Being a truthful soul I told 'em about the drainpipe back box and they ask "is it performance enhancing?"

"I don't know" is the truthful answer. Talking to exhaust fitters and my local car accesory shop, all of whom sell the darned things, the answer seems to be that just replacing a back box has no effect on performance. To get an improvement you have to replace the whole system.

So what is the answer? Any ideas?

What he said!

what if it was a cat back system? would that make any difference? im getting mine on soon but it is classed as a "sports exhaust"

tough one for insurance purposes if u wann play there gaem id say yes otherwise if the worst does happen ull be argueing with them on the benefits of the exhaust

Dude here is the shpiel for the insurance company.

Yes the car has been modified. It has had an after market rear exhaust scilencer fitted (sorry cant spell). The part is not performance enhancing, simply changes the tone of the exhaust, and is mainly for the cosmetic effect of the tail pipe. Value of modification £35-40

You have declared the mod and there should be no problems with this. And despite these things being sold as Sports back boxes they do not do much for performance. To get a real benefit from a replacement exhaust you need to do something more than simply change the back box. Honest

I saw an interview on a TV program where they said that due to the fact that

1) no two cars produce exactly the same amount of power

2) the dealer can't force you to have their exhaust (monopolies etc)

That you could replace any parts as long as the overall power at the end was within +/- 5% of the original stock power.

At the end of the day it is just an aftermarket replacement item, from another manuafacturer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links