Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Newbie! - Ae92 Gti

RobMorris

Howdy peeps

Couple of things really...

First of all, names Rob from Grays, Essex and I am addicted to speed :drool: .

Ive had a host of cars, Rover coupe turbo, 200sx S13 & S12 etc Ive also had a CRX VTEC which is the kind of car im looking for now...But as ive had one already, ive been looking at the Corolla GTi AE92 :thumbsup: .

Il have about 2k to spend. Of course this should see half for car half mods...?

Is anyone in my area able for me to come have a look just so i can get an idea coz ive never been up to one in the metal!?!

Also the mods im planning are

1. Stripped with buckets and cage

2. lightweight jap spec 15s

3. cold feed induction kit

4. chip

5. sports manifold to full system

6. uprated fuel pump/ leads/ plugs

7.??cams?? down to how many bucks!

with 1-6 what bhp should i be seeing? and what 0-60 and 1/4 mile should i see :unsure: ?

Can anyone :help: ?

Many cheers Rob B)

Howdy peeps

Couple of things really...

First of all, names Rob from Grays, Essex and I am addicted to speed :drool: .

Ive had a host of cars, Rover coupe turbo, 200sx S13 & S12 etc Ive also had a CRX VTEC which is the kind of car im looking for now...But as ive had one already, ive been looking at the Corolla GTi AE92 :thumbsup: .

Il have about 2k to spend. Of course this should see half for car half mods...?

Is anyone in my area able for me to come have a look just so i can get an idea coz ive never been up to one in the metal!?!

Also the mods im planning are

1. Stripped with buckets and cage

2. lightweight jap spec 15s

3. cold feed induction kit

4. chip

5. sports manifold to full system

6. uprated fuel pump/ leads/ plugs

7.??cams?? down to how many bucks!

with 1-6 what bhp should i be seeing? and what 0-60 and 1/4 mile should i see :unsure: ?

Can anyone :help: ?

Many cheers Rob B)

Hi Rob,

Nice choice ... 1600cc should see you for 130bhp... and 1/4 mile in 14's

As for the exhaust system,id say go for the mongoose,but im bias cos i got one :P but im sure your hear the same from others.. - £250.00 ish but not too sure on the manifold... ? not modded that. !

BoB

AE92 exhaust manifolds are of a very good design, I think Yamaha designed them and many people say they are the best design available. You may wish to stick with the stock manifold and spend the money elsewhere, depending on what you want to use the car for I would sort the suspension out refurbish the brakes as in my experience GTi's do not brake good and do the bodywork. :thumbsup:

Keeping the standard manifold will save me some money then!

Is their a UK based forum specifically for the AE92 GTi , or just this one?

AE92 exhaust manifolds are of a very good design, I think Yamaha designed them and many people say they are the best design available. You may wish to stick with the stock manifold and spend the money elsewhere, depending on what you want to use the car for I would sort the suspension out refurbish the brakes as in my experience GTi's do not brake good and do the bodywork. :thumbsup:

is that the same for the ae82 aswell?

is that the same for the ae82 aswell?

STILL THE SAME 4AGE ENGINE IN AE82 !! :thumbsup:

all of the above really. if you are stripping the car down consider seam welding it. inch tacks with an inch space between. this helps Shell stifness as the welds are 14 odd years old and aren't as tight as they once were.

done this my self , pig of a job but should be worth it.

as for cage i think you will need a custom one as i havent yet found one for the 92. get a chromolly one if you can as these are stronger and lighter than steel.

try to get kevlar buckets. i got two corbeau pro race with harneses and alloy side mounts for £150 each, one nearly new. they only weigh about 6KG each.

also bin the mirrors as these must weigh about 1 1/2 KG each. replace with some M3 or similar for about £30 a pair (graeme goode) they only weigh about 1KG the pair.

as for 1/4 mile times you'll be looking at mid to high 14's

my rolla with 350bhp and 314lbft has only managed a 13.07 at 110mph

also would agree keep the stock manifold as the gains dont outweigh the cons

Another Bias mongoose exhaust lover, but then ive had this Nice looking/sounding performance exhaust from USA which was NOTHING compared to my mongoose!!!

Brakes Certainly need checking!

Rust needs to be looked at!

0-60 standard for the gti is 7.6secs

Ive driven my mates CRX VTEC and its faster but you get a more RAW feel in the Gti, the CRX feels more "safer" , you know if you crash in a gti, your DEAD!! :lol: so overall i would prefer the ride of a gti to a CRX, so thats something to look forward to for you if you get one

Another Bias mongoose exhaust lover, but then ive had this Nice looking/sounding performance exhaust from USA which was NOTHING compared to my mongoose!!!

Brakes Certainly need checking!

Rust needs to be looked at!

0-60 standard for the gti is 7.6secs

Ive driven my mates CRX VTEC and its faster but you get a more RAW feel in the Gti, the CRX feels more "safer" , you know if you crash in a gti, your DEAD!! :lol: so overall i would prefer the ride of a gti to a CRX, so thats something to look forward to for you if you get one

WHAT ! Looking forward to getting DEAD !! Not a bad way of going i spose.. better than layin in your own p*ss i spose..

Hey Rob...

I'm in Benfleet ! feel free to PM me and come down for a 1 on 1 with my ae92Gti, wave some cash in my face and it could also be yours ! but i'm not 100% on that last bit.

The Gti (in good condition and a late model non-tvis) will run as good as your old tomcat ! without the head gasket problems ;) although the shorter wheelbase makes a difference to ride quality ! lol...

mine has some subtle mods but nothing too rich in the engine dept except for a good understanding and some TLC and it put me in the 14s bracket at the pod running about 140bhp last time it was checked.

drop me an email jon@unitylowrider.co.uk if you're interested.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links