Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Free-tronic

Baby J Cuda

Hi All

My son is looking at buying a free tronic 1999 Yaris GS 55K FSH.

Any suggestions on what he should be looking at in way of any common faults/ problems with the free-tronic cars?

He has never driven free-tronic so would also appreciate any tips on driving one!

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I drive the MMT Yaris which is the more modern version of the Freetronic.

I have not had any problems with this system, although some on these forums do not favour the MMT

I think that your son will get on O.K. with the freetronic once he has got used to it.

Let us know what he decides :thumbsup:

i have driven my dads freetronic.

when changing gear, he needs to allow the auto clutch to engage (not as quick as a person changing it), so give an extra second to change gear to slow it down

if the above is not always done and jerky/fast changes are done, it can cause the car to judder.

when at a standstill, put it in neutral until ready to go otherwise it will burn the clutch quicker and it will beep at u. could cause long term probs but not likely.

thats all i can think of, so not much, it is a nice drive, not as smooth as a manual tho

My son is looking at buying a free tronic 1999 Yaris GS 55K FSH.

Any suggestions on what he should be looking at in way of any common faults/ problems with the free-tronic cars?

He has never driven free-tronic so would also appreciate any tips on driving one!...

Check the RECALL list. Note what is said about the MMT/FreeTronic.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=...bycar/index.htm

I have had my GS FreeTronic for 4½ years now. No problem that may be considered serious, just some mild irritations such as on and off rattles.

As long as it isn't straining the engine, shift sequentially to the overdrive as swiftly as one can. The real time mpg monitor shows you why.

I've nothing to report on the FreeTronic for it has given me troublefree, easy driving all these years. Also, consistently, it has given me 48½mpg (+/- 2) in summer for ½ city ½ motorway drives. In winter, 4-6 less.

--

Bee.

Freetronic NOT recommended. Seals of Freetronic hydraulic clutch system can fail, leaving system with no fluid. Replacement cylinders £400. Essential to check fluid level every few days.

Here

Freetronic NOT recommended. Seals of Freetronic hydraulic clutch system can fail, leaving system with no fluid. Replacement cylinders £400. Essential to check fluid level every few days.

Here

Toyota must have changed the design then because as far as I know there are no hydraulic cylinders in the MMT system, so no need to check the fluid level every few days.

I think that "Honest John" is getting confused with the Renault Clio "Quickshift" system which used an hydraulic reservoir and hydraulic accumulator and was/is prone to leaking, however the Clio "Quickshift" that I ran for 2 years never had that problem.

The Yaris certainly uses a totally diferent system.

Don't knock it...... its a good and generally reliable system :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your replys

The car is not available until March so this gives us time to do more research on it. I know the Yaris is a solid little car I love mine :D

honest jon is talking crap (unusual for him ive found), it was available in gs and cdx, and no need to check fluids every few days, my dad has his checked at mot/service time only and its been fine.