Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Queries...

Blue84

Hi All,

Got a few queries about the 1st service...I've searched through old posts and know what they will be doing so there is no problem there (well actually I think it's now called the 10,000 safety check or something). I called around some dealers on my lunchbreak and emailed the one I got the Yaris Blue from enquiring about prices and it's around the £100 mark give or take a little bit.

Does this service have to be done by a dealer/someone that can stamp the book? I was chatting to my Dad earlier about this and he's put some doubts in my head :unsure:. He's always had Ford service his 2003 Fiesta even tho he does have a Mechanic Mate who serviced the 1994 Van! Can it be done by someone individually? My Dad was going on about the warranty etc but I was under the impression that as long as no parts fitted to the vehicle that aren't Toyota approved then the warranty remains intact? Not saying that parts are needed in a service btw, just trying to get my point across ;).

Last thing is that where the car is on Finance I don't want them using any excuse that I wasn't keeping to the terms and conditions obviously....the car is on just over 9200 miles and was brought in March 2005. All engine levels are checked regularly by me and Yves altho he checks everything where I just do the main ones!

Cheers

T

As you said. Warranty is only affected if you do not used Toyota approved parts. You could actually service the car yourself, and keep receipts, and log it in the service manual as "serviced to Toyota servicing schedule."

I can't see how it'd affect your finance? What T&C's are affected by vehicle maintenance, etc?

Finance has nothing to do with servicing and unless you finance states that you have to have your car serviced by Toyota, for PCP or something similar like mileage caps, but I was of the understand you had HP and not PCP so I doubt it would matter anyway.

And at the end of the day, as long as its serviced, its still a FSH, but I dunno if you could say its a Toyota full service history in that case? I'm just getting mine done by Toyota every time - that little stamp in the book means a lot for when I sell on!

They quoted me £80 for the service, but it actually cost £103 - and that was without any screenwash or anything I didnt need - just oil etc - so be prepared for a bit more than the £100 they're suggesting if you do go for Toyota. :thumbsup:

£100 is rediculous for a 1st service... they will hardly have to do anything, especially as Yves has been taking care of her!!!

Negotiate on price and don't forget your Gold discount. You could take it to a non Toyota garage and get a service for much less - but it depends how important a full dealer service history is to you.

Also tell them NOT to fill up the screen wash - you won't need it.

Ask for a discount for NOT washing/valetting the car after. They always do a crap job anyway.

Tell them NOT to replace anything without consulting you first.

Check the itemised bill and query ANYTHING you do not understand / why they have done it.

Please don't pay £100 :wacko:

you can go to another garage etc... youll probably get better, quicker, and more reliable service

but toyota will throw a wobbler and void your warrenty

Did you guys get yours done at MrT or not? I got a call from the Garage I got it from today and they say £120, the most expensive by far! :crybaby:

So Rob, if servicing is done by Toyota they will say the warranty is void?? :o

Wtf? £120! I was less than that for my 20k service...

Blue, it should only be about £70 for a 10k. Are there no other dealers nearby? I would have thought there would be competition down your way than there is up here.

A

Did you guys get yours done at MrT or not? I got a call from the Garage I got it from today and they say £120, the most expensive by far! :crybaby:

i think you can get any toyota serviced at a non-toyota garage as long as they are v.a.t registered and use "genuine toyota parts". This will not void your warranty aswell

Blue, it should only be about £70 for a 10k. Are there no other dealers nearby? I would have thought there would be competition down your way than there is up here.

A

My point exactly :thumbsup:

Get some varied quotes from other Mr Ts (yes they do vary :ffs:) and hit them with it. Like...

"I'd like to know how you can justify £120 for a 10k service on a well maintained car, whilst X Toyota garage is only charging £80".

Don't take it lying down. You need to be quite assertive with these people. :)

Exactly! My local Mr T (though not the one I use) quoted about £20 more than the one I bought my last Yaris from. Guess who got the business? :thumbsup:

Just thought I might add something about the screen wash charge - and no I dont work for toyota, but it's what the bloke told me.

They actually drain all the fluid and use a vacum to suck up all the bits in the bottom **if there are any**. They then refill the whole screen wash bottle with cheap stuff, which is a bit of a :censor: if you had topped up your car the other day with premium stuff :ffs:

Just phone up your local Mr T and say that Mr T in X has said he will do the job for xxx pounds and they should price match it, that's what I did and saved £30 haha! Even though the price I quoted didn't exist :ph34r:

if servicing is NOT done and they find out then yes

services at my garage cost me around £60 standard, but thats only cos i plump for high quality oil...

Not according to this:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+releases/2004/85-04.htm

Manufacturers can now, no longer hold you to having your car serviced at a manufacturer's garage.

It can be serviced at any garage, as long as GENUINE parts are used. ;)

According to the T&C's in my Yaris handbook, the conditions of the warranty are:

1) You must ensure the vehicle is maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's specs & instructions, as set out in the Owner's manual.

2) You are responsible for keeping all records necessary to prove that such maintenance has been performed.

3) In the event of defects requiring warranty work, you are obliged to present your vehicle to an authorised Toyota centre or official Toyota outlet ASAP.

In the Owner's handbook itself, service should be carried out by "authorised Toyota dealers or other duly qualified & equipped professionals."

It used to be, that some manufacturer's imposed tie-ins to car warranties, that you HAD to use their official dealerships, but most dont, and those that did, have taken those restrictions out of their T&C's.

So in conclusion, keep it to the schedule, and as outlined in the maintenance schedule, keep all receipts, and make sure they use Toyota genuine parts (if you buy these for them to use, keep the receipts for those as well), and you're covered.

HTH ;)

A

I called up 5 of them which are local-ish bear in mind the one I got it from (that is nearest) is 12 miles away & takes 20 mins to get too and the cheapest was £93 (or was it £99, I forgot to write it down) at a garage 45 minutes away!!!

Not according to this:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+releases/2004/85-04.htm

Manufacturers can now, no longer hold you to having your car serviced at a manufacturer's garage.

It can be serviced at any garage, as long as GENUINE parts are used. ;)

According to the T&C's in my Yaris handbook, the conditions of the warranty are:

1) You must ensure the vehicle is maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's specs & instructions, as set out in the Owner's manual.

2) You are responsible for keeping all records necessary to prove that such maintenance has been performed.

3) In the event of defects requiring warranty work, you are obliged to present your vehicle to an authorised Toyota centre or official Toyota outlet ASAP.

In the Owner's handbook itself, service should be carried out by "authorised Toyota dealers or other duly qualified & equipped professionals."

It used to be, that some manufacturer's imposed tie-ins to car warranties, that you HAD to use their official dealerships, but most dont, and those that did, have taken those restrictions out of their T&C's.

So in conclusion, keep it to the schedule, and as outlined in the maintenance schedule, keep all receipts, and make sure they use Toyota genuine parts (if you buy these for them to use, keep the receipts for those as well), and you're covered.

HTH ;)

Thanks for that, that's clarified a lot of things for me.

Any work that is needed (i.e oil change or whatever) would be done anyway..

Will see what happens, thanks for the advice peeps :yes: