Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crashed My Yaris Due To A Drunken Idiot

TomF

Really feel bad for you. You should just say 'it could have been worse' and try not to ponder over it too much.

can any of your parts be re-used like the bonnet? :(

Just did a search and checked your other thread and you do seem to be having a bad time of it!

Only thing I can say are that it can't be this bad for long.

One thing I will mention though is something I heard from the old rolls royce chauffer training school. The instructor used to say any time your car gets damaged it's your fault. When one of the students asked what if you're not in the car the reply was you shouldn't have been parked there in the first place. It is true. If you crash you were going too fast for the conditions (even if you weren't going fast). If you leave your car in a bad spot there's a chance it'll get damaged.

Any time your car gets damaged its your own fault?

Gosh darn it, why did I ask that guy to come onto my side of the road and hit me head on - my own fault that! :lol:

Its no-ones fault - its fate. Fate says, wrong place, wrong time - its got nothing to do with fault - I'm sure the last thing TomF needs is to hear it was his own fault for swerving to avoid a drunken man and hitting a wall! :huh:

unlucky mate, glad u didnt hit the guy and that ur all ok dude! Car can be fixed! Good job u didnt go into the sea tho :S Wet grass is like ice, so so dangerous!

Any time your car gets damaged its your own fault?

Gosh darn it, why did I ask that guy to come onto my side of the road and hit me head on - my own fault that! :lol:

Its no-ones fault - its fate. Fate says, wrong place, wrong time - its got nothing to do with fault - I'm sure the last thing TomF needs is to hear it was his own fault for swerving to avoid a drunken man and hitting a wall! :huh:

I dont think he meant it in that way as such! (well i wouldn't agree that 100% of the time it is your fault) More that if you were going at the correct speed for those conditions you should be able to stop in time or swerve to avoid with control. I think the point he is making is that your supposed to drive so you have control. Im not having a go at tom at all as i wasnt there more interpreting what this guy said. They say you should always have a safety route planned. On a motorway they suggest you keep a side clear so that if needs be you could brake hard and swerve into the space you have left yourself. In a urban area you should be ready for people to be crossing roads (maybe kids) Late at night you should be extra careful to make sure you can see whats coming and maybe lower speeds if you need to due to conditions.

Im not saying that tom was in the wrong in any of these ways but he did say he was "having a bit of fun" which i guess means he knows he wasnt 100%. Therefore there may be an element of fault he could have avoided. I still dont think he deserves it but there are ways he can avoid future problems. The bus company problem could be avoided by not parking in a place where your wing mirrors may get hit (if possible) etc.

I hope your luck/fate improves anyway tom and please dont take this as a dig at you as i understand 100% that im not to judge nor was i there in any of these cases. Im just giving a neutral opinion, take it or leave it, but just dont take offence :thumbsup:

Cheers Woody, yes that's the point I was making.

Examples.

If you're being cautious you're less likely to come across a surprise that you can't deal with.

In a car park I always try and park so I have at least one empty space on either side of the car even if it means being at the far end of the car park from where I'd like to be. Where possible also within view of a CCTV camera

That's the kind of thing that reduces the chances of your car getting damaged

you've got to look at the positive side of the accident, you have just missed the sign post and you could of easily taken some pedestrians out at the same time.

just look forward to getting claim cheque and choosing another motor :D

dsc022558yz.jpg

One thing I will mention though is something I heard from the old rolls royce chauffer training school. The instructor used to say any time your car gets damaged it's your fault. When one of the students asked what if you're not in the car the reply was you shouldn't have been parked there in the first place. It is true. If you crash you were going too fast for the conditions (even if you weren't going fast). If you leave your car in a bad spot there's a chance it'll get damaged.

What a load of codswallop.

So if somebody pulls out into the side of you as you go past for no reason and you were doing 20mph in the 30mph zone on a perfectly clear day then it's your fault. My ar*e.

If you lose grip and your car starts to spin or head towards trouble... no matter what speed you're doing... there isn't much you can do... that's hardly your fault.

If we had this attitude then everyone would drive at 20mph and get no where. Accidents happen because they are just that... accidents. They're accidental, as in not meant to happen, infact, here's the definition:

Accident

Something which happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, and which often damages something or injures someone

Accidently

By accident without intending to, or without being intended

An accident is only your fault if you cause it. In this case it was the drunks fault... if he hadn't have been walking in the middle of the road... this wouldn't have happened.

The parking things is rubbish too... that's pure carelessness. Parking next to a business van, heap of junk or parent machine (4x4, MPV) is simply tempting fate... it's not your fault if they damage your car... it's their's because they hit you.

Rolls Royce teacher wants sacking.

I would agree with both of you to a limit like i said. You could say that the car shouldn't have lost grip in the first place if your in control (regarding seveers' second example) The first however is where i would say that the rolls royce blokes words dont really work. If someone was to pull out on you at the last minute there must be a limit where there is no way at all you could react at whatever speed!

I think the truth lies between the true extremes. Accidents can sometimes be prevented is the point but not always!

Either way i feel sorry for Tom's chain of events and hope he gets better luck in the future!

Tom, if it makes you feel any better (or slightly less singled out) I picked up my new day to day car on saturday and had a Corsa plough into the front of it in Swansea monday morning!

What a load of codswallop.

So if somebody pulls out into the side of you as you go past for no reason and you were doing 20mph in the 30mph zone on a perfectly clear day then it's your fault. My ar*e.

If you lose grip and your car starts to spin or head towards trouble... no matter what speed you're doing... there isn't much you can do... that's hardly your fault.

If we had this attitude then everyone would drive at 20mph and get no where. Accidents happen because they are just that... accidents. They're accidental, as in not meant to happen, infact, here's the definition:

Accident

Something which happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, and which often damages something or injures someone

Accidently

By accident without intending to, or without being intended

An accident is only your fault if you cause it. In this case it was the drunks fault... if he hadn't have been walking in the middle of the road... this wouldn't have happened.

The parking things is rubbish too... that's pure carelessness. Parking next to a business van, heap of junk or parent machine (4x4, MPV) is simply tempting fate... it's not your fault if they damage your car... it's their's because they hit you.

Rolls Royce teacher wants sacking.

I completely agree, accidents are accidents, there are certain things you can do to lower your chances of having an accident but if your luck's out your luck's out, simple. There's nothing as unpredictable as other road users, & if some1 else makes a big enough mistake there's nothing you can do.

If some little :censor: wants to damage my car there's nothing I can do, shall I just leave my car in a garage forever in case some1 wants to throw a brick at it (which would be my fault, of course, even if I'd never had anything to do with the person who did it, or any1 he knew)

Seems you've been having some really rotten luck with your car lately.

But the main thing is, is that your ok and that nobody was injured in the accident.

Pity the coward drunk run off and left you up poo creek now, I would be raging if it happened to me.

Is it a right-off?

Personally I think people need to calm down....

1) I dont personally believe in 'fate' some people do... I dont.. I prefer that life isnt planned out for you

2) Accidents are indeed just that... 'Accidental' Yes there are sometimes ways in which we can prevent the outcome... defensive driving etc etc... but an accident can describe something that just 'wasnt meant to happen' whether you could have prevented it or not.

3) From what has been said before, the guy is lucky he didnt hit the person, or the post... or seriously injure himself... but as I see it... although the conditions didnt help the outcome... as said previously... he was 'having fun'

No one should have their pride and joy ripped away from them like this, whether it could have been prevented or not, the only person here who truely knows is the driver... and the only person who has to reconcile the fact he did everything to stop the outcome being worse is the driver... (and by not hitting either post or person, i reckon he did ok )

I do think that people on here, lovely as it is... sometimes jump a little aggressively to the defense of someone else.... even when the 'threat' isnt truely meant in a threatening way...

I sincerely hope you get it all sorted out mate :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links