Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.3 Or D4d T Spirit

Horza

Hi everyone, new here.

Wife has set her heart on a T spirit to replace her Rover 214 that has just died, now we are after economy but with decent usability perfomance wise. So not having even driven a yaris at this point, but from looking on this site and others it seems the 1.3 is the one to go for or the D4D.

However T-Spirit is the spec she wants and a quick look on autotrader gives precious little hits as far as diesel T-Spirits. We are looking at 53 or 04 type age and there is a decent level of 1.3 models out there but not diesels. Now the mileage the car would do is not going to be huge at all, the Rover has only done an average of 9000mls a year so is it really worth the pain of travelling all round the UK(esp as we live in Devon,therefore miles from anywhere) to try to find a diesel and pay a premium for it...... unless the D4D is stupidly better than the 1.3 it doesn't appear to make sense.

All views welcome.

Cheers

I have a 1.3 T-Spirit - I've had two to be precise, and they're cracking! :thumbsup:

I've not driven the diesel, but there are a few members who rave about the diesel engine (I have driven a 2.0 D-4D Corolla though, which is a lovely drive)

Generally speaking, diesels are far less in numbers than petrol at any spec level - I mean look on here - there must be 10-20 petrol Yaris' for every one diesel! So it is going to be hard to find one she likes....

Now, I'm not an advocate for diesel or petrol, although I own a petrol - but for that mileage a year, surely the extra cost of the diesel is really not going to make much of a difference? We got a diesel Corolla only for the fact that, at the time, my partner was doing 80 mile round trips a day, so diesel was more economical.

So based on that fact alone, I would personally recommend a petrol over a diesel - just my personal opinion though! ;)

Hi. First of all the 1.4D is much more economical than the 1.3 but, as a 1.3 owner myself, the economy is still very good. Filling stations are places other people go to! :)

The 1 litre has phenomenal economy and if we are talking urban drivnig in the main, I'd suggest that you consider it. :yes:

Anyway, assuming for a minute, that it has to be a 1.4D or 1.3 petrol, the 1.3 isn't going to break the bank so it's down to finding one to the spec your wife wants, yes? A T Spirit does have a nice specification, trim wise but it's not that different to some of the other models. Correct me if I'm wrong, Em (Demonic Angel) but aren't the main differences between the T3 and T Spirit, sun roof, air con and electric door mirrors?

Perhaps you and your wife might like to also look at the 'Colour Collection' and 'Blue' series as they had refined trim options, air con (as an option) but no sun roof or electric door mirrors.

hi,

i have a 1.3 which i bought last year. it is excellent to drive round city and on the motorway. i did test drive the D4-D and found that excellent aswell but was advised if i dont do mch mileage to go for the petrol. D4-d is a good car aswell but dependent on what kind of mileage you are likely to do. ours is a 1.3 vvti yaris blue and i think its excellent.im sure you will love any yaris you buy. :thumbsup:

Anyway, assuming for a minute, that it has to be a 1.4D or 1.3 petrol, the 1.3 isn't going to break the bank so it's down to finding one to the spec your wife wants, yes? A T Spirit does have a nice specification, trim wise but it's not that different to some of the other models. Correct me if I'm wrong, Em (Demonic Angel) but aren't the main differences between the T3 and T Spirit, sun roof, air con and electric door mirrors?

Plus colour coded bumpers, alloys, remote CD & radio controls, leather covered steering wheel & gearstick, pretty silver bits around the dials & different fabric on the seats! :lol:

So you do get quite a bit more than the T3 spec! :thumbsup:

Ah right, my bad. So, what about the difference between the T Spirit and Colour Collection/Blue?

Did I get that anywhere near right?

I was thinking that I've seen a lot of Colour Collections and Blues or sale so it could be an option for them that was at least somewhere near the T Spirit spec?

Yeah its just air con, leccy door mirrors and sunroof over the Blues/Colour Collections I think but if he can get one with air con - cracking stuff, because its just something you cant be without IMO. :thumbsup:

I have a 1.3 too, I upgraded to it from a 04 Yaris T3 as the power did lack a bit and I do dual carriageway driving every day with quite often motorway trips to see various people ;) I definately recommend it..

We have a Yaris Blue which is based on the T3 with a lot of T-Spirit extra's apart from a Sunroof and electric mirrors, the yaris colour collection is the same as the blue with a very few subtle differences. If the colour collection has the spoiler then it'll have air con so I recommend you have a look at them as you may save yourself a bit of money and get them newer too.

Found this for you mate....

1.3 T-Spirit Yaris - Plymouth area

Website from Autotrader

No picture - says its beige... :wacko: but I reckon that'll be Severn Green or something - 04 reg - but the nearest diesel (and it wasnt even a T-Spirit!) near to you was over 230 miles away.... :unsure:

Excellent advise everyone, thanks a lot.

Demonic Angel, think i may jump in my battered old Alfa and go have a look at the thing. Cheers for that.

Amazing response to a newbie question, really friendly and helpful forum. think i may hang around. :)

Go for the petrol as your not going to be getting value for money with the diesel with the millage that you have said :thumbsup: !

Plus with the petrol your still getting a good mpg figure - mines around 42mpg @ the mo.

Im still looking at getting a diesel as I do 150 miles round trip :crybaby: but this is only once a week, however my yaris is doing fine so im not sure at the mo.

Excellent advise everyone, thanks a lot.

Demonic Angel, think i may jump in my battered old Alfa and go have a look at the thing. Cheers for that.

Amazing response to a newbie question, really friendly and helpful forum. think i may hang around. :)

Please do - let us know what you think to that Yaris in Plymouth! :thumbsup:

And if its not for you, we'll help you find one that is! ;)

I have the 1.3 petrol, its the SR model and i would describe this engine model as fun on the twisties, willing on the motorway and a good all rounder, but it can be seen to return as little as an average of 26Mpg, the highest i have averaged is about 42Mpg but that was using 98Ron petrol for a month or so.

the D4D can easily return 50Mpg by an average driver, espicially with a tuning box.

I would say drive both, reset the computer at the start of the test drive and see what Mpg your driving style returns in both vehicles :) and which feels good

Just my opinion

Nick

I would agree go for the 1.3 as its more fun to drive, only go for diesel if u do lots of miles.

the 1.3 is very nippy and does 40mpg easily

autocar tested the new diesel yaris and said the best engine to go for is the 1.3, as the heavier diesel engine affects the handling + ride :(

Currently got 42.4mpg (I change gear!) ;)

I currently get 48.6 (I let the MMT change gear for me ;) :D )................In the summer I was getting 49.5 plus but did not make that magic 50 as I do not drive slow enough!!

And if I can sway you towards a colour collection (mwuahahaha!)

3 door 1.3 colour collections in Plymouth - clicky

5 doors

T Spirit?

3 door T Spirits in Plymouth - click!

5 door

Excellent finds Al.... I only went onto Autotrader! :lol::lol:

I dunno what my MPG is, I dont check it - but my car does 330 miles a month - ie full tank of fuel, so could probably figure it out... but got more pressing things on my mind, such as what shoes to wear etc etc :lol:

So do i, but i figure fuel is so expensive i may aswell have fun with it if i am paying (diesel is coming in the next couple of months for me, so i gotta enjoy this now)

I have had three yaris cars 2 of which were 1 litre petrol and my current one is the D4d, nobody has pointed out that the diesel is really relaxing to drive compared to the petrol as its not revving as high, plus there is always the biggest torque curve of all of the models with the diesel which in my opinion is better as i personally think power low down in the rev range is better for real world driving. (JUST MY OPINION). :thumbsup:

Me too, around 42-43 mpg average is what the Blue gets which is fine. Since Christmas there has been over 1000 miles done in the 1.3 and filled up 4 times in that period (12 mile each way trip to work doesnt help)...so that might give you a bit more idea of economy. It's a shame you havent got a D4D to test drive..are you planning on test driving the 1.3?

Going to test drive all 3 engine variations if we can, no point in spending a fair bit of money on a car without having the right information at hand. From what everyone has said i think the 1.3 will be the one to go for from a performance/availability point of view.

There is Toyota main dealer half a mile up the road, so hopefully next weekend we will try them out. I know they have a couple of T3s in 1.0 + 1.3 we can test, but not a d4d at this point. Not sure i want to travel a couple of hundred miles each way just to test drive a car but may change my mind having driven the petrol versions. Of course if we are happy with either of those two then i think we will probably just forget the diesel on initial cost/distance grounds.

Good plan Horza - although maybe you could ask your dealership if they can bring in a D-4D Yaris for you to test drive, as well as the petrol 1.0 and 1.3? And well, if you really like the diesel they will have one there for you - and if not, I'm sure they wont have any problem selling it!

No harm in asking mate! :thumbsup:

Good plan Horza - although maybe you could ask your dealership if they can bring in a D-4D Yaris for you to test drive, as well as the petrol 1.0 and 1.3? And well, if you really like the diesel they will have one there for you - and if not, I'm sure they wont have any problem selling it!

No harm in asking mate! :thumbsup:

Fair point, will see what i can sort out.

Thanks everyone for all the info + experience.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links