Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

17" Alloys....but Why Not?

mckezik

ive read a few topics here regarding alloys, most of them have replies saying dont go for 17" size

now im guessing why people are saying this as the bigger size can cause rubbing, scrubbing, slowing the performance down, cant lower....

but i would really like to see what members have to say about 17" who already have them....

is it worth getting them in this size??? i have soooooooo many bumps around london, i dont think i'll be able to lower the car otherwise the backbox would scrap everytime i go over a hump....

are they that bad to have??? if u have 17" and dont lower, then does the gap between the wheel and arch look reali bad???

17's go in easy with a little arch work even with a 40ml drop. i have ours on 18's with a 45 ml drop and that didnt take too much work either.

Does look a bit high without lowering, I went for a 30mm drop eventually and there was no arch work needed!

Can take speed bumps no probs...just take it slow! :thumbsup:

It'll rub at the back if you've got a full car, but I've found once the plastic arch linings at the back are removed the scrubbings much less! I'm sure I could go for 40mm now...

Pics in my link below..

Matt

EDIT: yaris-on-18's Have you got any recent pics of your car?? Its looking good mate!

1 word = rollerskate

ahhh yes that aswell

number 2 = chav?

sorry but you start heading into the saxo/clio/corsa zone with 17"s

WOW, thanks for all the replies, they seem only quite mixed, not sure what to do now?? my inital plan was get sum 17's and then a coilover kit from envy when they release it at the end of the month.... hmm...

also sorry abit OFF TOPIC but any UK WEBSITES doing SMOKED REARS??

We had 17"s on our TS and i think they wre the reason the bearings went in them.

Correct, bigger wheels are obviously going to put more stress on parts like the wheel bearing, suspension arms and bushes etc, but IMO the extra cost is well worth it.

17"s and lowered looks perfect, 18"s I haven't seen a great one done yet, but could look amazing if done right.

Also for the Smoked rears http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ I was going to get some until I managed to get a set of LED rears. :)

the yaris is to small to take 17's it makes them look like a dune buggy :D

number 2 = chav?

Dont you have a bootload of Speakers?? :P

She does, she inherited them and it is one damn cool system :drool:

17s fit the arches perfectly, but to make it look right you need to do ample lowering, and mod the arches

i dropped mine 60mm with quite extensive work, inlcuding a slight flare on the back end, but it looked damn perfect, sat spot on and rode without a problem

bearings only go if you put the wrong offset, its best to use the smallest possible to reduce the torsional strain on the bearings, having a large one is like having wheel spacers, i ran for 18 months on 17s and never had a niggle

so i say do it

15s if you want a track go'er, 17s+ for style, 16s to me are neither use nor ornament size, they dont do justice for for handling as 15s, they dont look as good as 17s and the tyres are over priced :P

23.jpg

number 2 = chav?

Dont you have a bootload of Speakers?? :P

She does, she inherited them and it is one damn cool system :drool:

Thanks! :D

Im not a chav and never will be, i need a stereo system that has bass, and i have a lot of it now! :D

i'll put the 17's on...but i wanna wait for some good coilovers...dont realli feel like spendin £700 on TEIN, also when you say hav to modifi the arches , is that only when to lower it, not before right?

you need to mod the arches if you plan lowering in most cases

Grinder time :drool:

never touched mine with a grinder :P

you can get special tools actually designed to flare the arch without cutting the metal!

about £600 quid though to buy, although quote me if im wrong i think ENVY have got one?

ur car won't handle as well if u put on 17" due to increase weight, unless u go for super light weight 17" alloys but these will be expensive, the ride will be harsher due to lower profile tyres

stick to 15" if u want good handling

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links