Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Pad How-to

alanbradley

Hi folks...

I've noticed over the past week of so that the front brakes of the Yaris are getting a bit on the noisy side. Chances are that after quite a lot of hard use its time to change the brake pads so do any of you guys have a "how to" or basic instructions to set me the right direction?

I've done a search and turned up nothing.

Cheers,

Alan :thumbsup:

Edit: Darn! second word of title should be "Pad"...

You could invest in the haynes manual!

CB :thumbsup:

...and then again I could just not bother <_<

If its anything like the one for my 2cv then I would have more success seeing what was going on on my axle stubs by parking my Yaris in a darkened garage, closing the door and donning a blindfold.

Never mind, I'll suss it out myself...

A

Alan,

The Haynes manual is quite good on the subject of Yaris brakes....................it really would be a good idea to get one :thumbsup:

How many miles have you done?

Alan.

The Front disc pads are just so easy to do.

Falling off a log is more difficult.

If you e.mail me, or phone I can go through it with you, and take a few piccs if you wish.

? How many miles you done?

? Have you even looked at them yet.?

R

I've only done about 24k miles, so it seems a bit on the premature side for the pads to be worn. That said, this car has always been bad for spewing brake dust across the front wheels and had been used to "make progress" quite often so it could be a possibility.

Basically, I want to check that I'm being paranoid :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll pop by Halfrauds on my way home and pick up a copy, I guess the Yaris one is quite recent and the 2CV one was written sometime about the middle of last century so the book will be more contemporary in style, layout and clarity.

Cheers :thumbsup:

A

...its time to change the brake pads so do any of you guys have a "how to" or basic instructions to set me the right direction?

See if these instructions are clear enough:

http://www.msnusers.com/Sorensonbrian/fron...kepads2002.msnw

You are fortunate: if that's not enough, you have Rayburn to call for assistance!

Here is the other set for the rear, for comparison:

http://www.msnusers.com/Sorensonbrian/rearbrakedrums.msnw

Good luck.

--

Bee.

"Basically, I want to check that I'm being paranoid"

Quote;

or basic instructions to set me the right direction?

Right Alan.

Head for the nearest Motorway.

Follow this untill you come to the M5 Southwest.

Eventually you come to Devon, take a right and follow that.

I'll look at your brakes while you wait.

Dont forget to bring your wet suit and Surfboard.

R

Haynes manual whats that.??

Real men dont need Haynes manuals :P

and Alans in Inverness! A trip to devon maybe aint quite worth it

seriously though al its a doddle, just find any generic slide caliper information on the web, theyre all the same

Cheers folks... I went to Halfrauds last night and decided against the Haynes book of lies as I just don't think its work the money for a book that doesn't really deal with my model - there are so many differences between mine and the petrol ones...

I'll try an take a look at the weekend - Clarky, you may get a ring at some point if I'm stuck!

Grinding seems to have stopped for the moment, so I probably was being paranoid.

Thanks again,

Alan

PS Not in Inverness any more - now in sunny Lanarkshire (must change the profile!)

It might well just have been a bit of grit or even small stone trapped in the dirt shield behind the disc proper.

The discs are held in place by the calipers and the wheel studs bolted through them. The pads themselves have weird little spring clip thingies that hold them on two pins and to the caliper. The easiest thing to do is to jack one side up (ideally jacl up both and use axle stands) and have a good look after you get the wheel off. You should see the spring clips - they kind of fold into the lugs of the caliper. If it all goes wrong you just need to look at the other side to see how its fitted.

If you're turning the disc to listen for scraping (without the wheel on) remember that the disc may woble - its worth putting on a couple of the nuts (but only if you've open ended nuts).

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I finally got the chance to look at the brakes on Sunday there (only about 1500 miles after they seemed a bit odd :rolleyes:) and the only thing that seemed slightly amiss was the silhouette of the brake pad on the actual disc. Thing is that I can't work out what would cause it - the outline was a slightly different texture from the surrounding disc.

SP54WDCFrontDisc.jpg

The discs/hubs themselves turned freely enough and there's a good 6mm or so of life left in the pads whilst the discs are about 1.5-2.0mm in on each side.

Anyway - I guess it was a stone or something as the problem seems to be gone now and the brakes are functioning fine.

Cheers again for all of the suggestions folks...

:thumbsup:

Alan

the silhouette is nothing to worry about.. normally you would see this on rear discs, because the handbrake grips the disc.. on the front its more unusual to see it (but it is still common to get it) because as soon as you move then press the brake again.. it gets rubbed out by the pad. Was the car stationary for a little while before you took the wheel off? Sometimes if the front breaks are "gripping" the disc a little tighter than need be (again very normal) you get these marks appearing after a period of time of being stationary.. the reason they "grip" the disc slightly is to generate a little heat while in motion, without this heat in the pad and disc, the breaks won't be as good as they should be.

Oh! and yes.. your problem could well have been a stone in the dust guard.

i get silouttes when i bbrake hard to a stop after some 'spirited driving'

an ive had to change pads at 18k on a yaris before,

Glad its sorted Alan - and I didnt even get the call!

lol - yeah, I managed to poke about on my own and sort of work stuff out...

Now I've read all your replies I think I've sussed the mark - I sat for quite a while on the hill up to my folks' place with my foot hard on the brake (its a very steep hill..) whilst yakking on the phone (private road - honest, it is...) and hadn't moved the car since...

Anyhow yeah, all sorted - along with the centring rings and nuts (cheers Kevin & Gaz...) and I'm sitting on a quote for £256 for 4 x 195/45 R16 Toyos ( :eek: ). Wil have to decide if I have the cash tomorrow morning ( :crybaby: )

Cheers all...

:thumbsup:

A

Alan.

Toyo

Summer tyres PROXES T1-R

195/45 R16 80V Rim-protectionleiste * With mytyres.co.uk only £ 48.20 each including delivery.=£192.80

Plus fitting.

Cheers Ray, but that's "Plus fitting" and this is all done...

Actually, I should be able to knock the VAT off that is I buy them via my Dad's company ;)

(I've been making poor reasons to be able to afford them all afternoon/evening!)

A

edit: There's also a time/space/logistics problem (the wheels are 75 miles away and I have no place to store a second set down here) that makes this the preferred option... :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links