Do Not Sell My Personal Information

95ron Vs Tesco Vs Ultimate Vs Optimax

Bibbs

A bench test on which is best ..

Optimax came out best and allowed more ignition advance than the other three.

Was tested on a turbo cosworth engine. They tweaked the timing until dett was detected and then read off the power.

Unfortunately if they started the same car a week alter on the same tank of fuel, the octane rating would have dropped, the engine would experiance serious Detting and probably die :P

Dude, where do you get these stats from?

I know it expires quicker than SU .. but that goes off over 9/12 months .. Optimax isn't going off in a matter of hours.

I've read that it's about a month in your tank before it even starts to degrade.

So please, gimmie proof or stop posting "it's all rubbish" .. and if you do give me proof, I'll change my mind.

why didn't they test it with a jap car :lol:

I didn't realise that cosworth did jap crap as well

Because the Mag is a part of "Performance ford" (ha ha ha) and some dodgy Bimmer mag too.

The test was at a tuning company that had the engine, on a bench on a proper engine dyno (so the transmition wouldn't affect the results).

In last months issue they tested Tesco 99 and found that it had more impact on the Fiesta STs they tested, compaired to a Scooby... which might explain the Cossie test this month too (and Bibbs' point about 'Fast Ford'). Wasn't sure of the logic tbh because the Fiesta ST would have been mapped for 95/97 so of course it would have shown more difference.

Anyway - Tescos won't have the highest RON for long ;) :thumbsup:

the test showed that Tesco was good, but Optimax allowed greater advance .. (and therefore better dett protection, and with the aditives, a cleaner engine).

It does appear you get what you pay for.

And Caz, what's all this about better fuel, you've been hinting for a while now ..

Anyway - Tescos won't have the highest RON for long ;) :thumbsup:

I'm intrigued! :bookworm: :D

when and if 99 ron gets its ***** up north i will gladly test it and report back .

on a side note i filled up with optimax and after a month or so of the same fuel in the tank . the car runs as sweet as ever.

All the adatives are another thing that puts me off ;)

I dont want additives in my fuel, takes up space in my tank where petrol could be :thumbsup:

I've just read Banzai's test, but have you noticed the figures got better in the order they tested them? ;)

If you start with 95ron in the tank then it'll take a few tanks of higher stuff to flush out all the 95ron.

I dont care what their tests show. Tesco 99ron is the best you can get off the forecourts at the mo as its the highest octane fuel.

If they had left Tescos till last in the test it would have out performend Optimax and Ulticrap. I think someone as Banzai got a back hander from Shell and BP ;)

If they had left Tescos till last in the test it would have out performend Optimax and Ulticrap. I think someone as Banzai got a back hander from Shell and BP ;)

I think you've been listening to Charlie too much ;)

I think you've been listening to Charlie too much ;)

Not at all, Banzai's fuel test was unfair. Of course the power will increase with the best results being after 4 tanks of fuel.

If they had tested Tesco 99 AFTER the other two it would have showed better results.

So i here by give a big :fishyface: to Banzai B)

we got 99ron on thursday, i emptied £30's wort yesterday & filled up today, i dont care what it does, it flames on 99ron + doesn't flame on 95ron, worth 92.4p a ltr in my eyes

Not at all, Banzai's fuel test was unfair. Of course the power will increase with the best results being after 4 tanks of fuel.

Why?

if you put petrol in, run the engine, flush the fuel, reset the timing, put petrol in, why would the 2nd be better?

I think what Lee is trying to say is...

the engine ECU maps for, say, 95RON.

If you then run it on 97RON, it takes a tank or two before the ECU fully remaps to the increase.

So in the test, say the cossie was used to 95, jumping straight to 99, the ECU wouldnt be able to make the most of it, but by the time they got to Optimax, the ECU would have remapped for the higher Octane rates and make more efficient use of the available.

Of course, being a cossie, it should have been run on 97/98, so there shouldnt have been much change, although i see Lee's point, they should have reset the ECU between each tank of fuel for a fair comparison (not to mention have a control)

From what I gathered the whole test was re-set for each run.

The timing manually advanced etc. And because the test was on a workbenched engine, the ECU was mapped to each fuel.

hey - i was just giving my opinion to what Lee might have been going on about...

me personally, I couldnt care - with the price of fuel i'll stick to 95Ron at 90p a litre thanks!

I think what Lee is trying to say is...

the engine ECU maps for, say, 95RON.

If you then run it on 97RON, it takes a tank or two before the ECU fully remaps to the increase.

So in the test, say the cossie was used to 95, jumping straight to 99, the ECU wouldnt be able to make the most of it, but by the time they got to Optimax, the ECU would have remapped for the higher Octane rates and make more efficient use of the available.

Of course, being a cossie, it should have been run on 97/98, so there shouldnt have been much change, although i see Lee's point, they should have reset the ECU between each tank of fuel for a fair comparison (not to mention have a control)

So basically the ECU can remap for different types fuel, lets say from 95RON to 98RON or 99RON all by itself without doing anything to it? I understand that it might take a few fillups to make the ECU feel the change to remap, but its that easy lets say I want to switch from 95RON to 99RON? :eek:

hey - i was just giving my opinion to what Lee might have been going on about...

me personally, I couldnt care - with the price of fuel i'll stick to 95Ron at 90p a litre thanks!

Wasn't haveing a dig fella .. Just saying that it was a proper independant test. I somehow doubt they'd let something like that effect the results.

So basically the ECU can remap for different types fuel, lets say from 95RON to 98RON or 99RON all by itself without doing anything to it? I understand that it might take a few fillups to make the ECU feel the change to remap, but its that easy lets say I want to switch from 95RON to 99RON? :eek:

*some* ECU's can. Usually the later turbo'ed cars will do this to get the best gains out of the fuel. Mine is setup for 100RON, and retards the ignition for lower fuel. I don't really have to worry about bost temps, but I do have to worry about high compression.

Aftermarket ECU's are usually tuned to a specific RON, but the top spec ones can *learn*.

Most standard car's ECU will be setup for 95 and that's it. You Do get a stronger cleaner burn, so it'll gain 2/3 bhp and that's it.

*some* ECU's can. Usually the later turbo'ed cars will do this to get the best gains out of the fuel. Mine is setup for 100RON, and retards the ignition for lower fuel. I don't really have to worry about bost temps, but I do have to worry about high compression.

Aftermarket ECU's are usually tuned to a specific RON, but the top spec ones can *learn*.

Most standard car's ECU will be setup for 95 and that's it. You Do get a stronger cleaner burn, so it'll gain 2/3 bhp and that's it.

Only turbo'ed ECU's can learn? Do you know perhaps if the Yaris TS has a learning ECU or not? So basically I can go with 98RON or 99RON and I will get a stronger cleaner burn, and maybe a bit of bhp as well? Did you mean two-thirds, or two-three? :wacko:

All cars with knock sensors have adaptive ECU's, and nearly all modern ones are mapped to take advantage of higher octane fuels. Also, they adapt in realtime, none of this ECU resetting/relearning involved.