Do Not Sell My Personal Information

95ron Vs Tesco Vs Ultimate Vs Optimax

Bibbs

not just turbo'd or high end - my IS200 ECU could adapt...

i actually did an optimax test a few years ago - and found by running the 98RON i got similar (and sometimes better) miles per pound over normal, plus the engine felt more responsive...

That said, the fuel price hike through that out of kilter, and i switched back!

Well round here Ultimate is only 89.9 :yes: Tesco 99 is 90.9.

Ian hit the nail on the head as to what i meant.

Even if you restart the test from scratch and resetup the timing you still gonna need a tank or two to clear out all the 95ron stuff.

Im just saying that if they had tried 99 again after optimax if would have shown bigger gains the 2nd time round :)

Even if you restart the test from scratch and resetup the timing you still gonna need a tank or two to clear out all the 95ron stuff.

Im just saying that if they had tried 99 again after optimax if would have shown bigger gains the 2nd time round :)

They DID clear it all out :thumbsup:

They DID clear it all out :thumbsup:

C'mon dude, you know that simply draining all the fuel out and changing it isnt enough. For a start there will still be fuel in the filter and the injectors. :thumbsup:

What they should have done is started with 99ron then optimax 98 then ultimate 97 then 95ron last. That way none of the higher ron fuels would have been reduced by the 95ron fuel.

C'mon dude, you know that simply draining all the fuel out and changing it isnt enough. For a start there will still be fuel in the filter and the injectors. :thumbsup:

and you know that that fuel will be gone in a VERY short time .. and they used 5 liters to obviously flush the engine and then re-start the tests.

The Engine ECU will have been "real time" as it is an engine cell dyno ..

and you know that that fuel will be gone in a VERY short time .. and they used 5 liters to obviously flush the engine and then re-start the tests.

The Engine ECU will have been "real time" as it is an engine cell dyno ..

I see what your saying although i still say its not as straight forward as that. I would personally like to see the test done again :yes:

I see what your saying although i still say its not as straight forward as that. I would personally like to see the test done again :yes:

Well it's the 3rd test I've read (all in different mags) and it's the 3rd time Optimax has come out top.

(but the first time Tesco's was included).

They said the 99 ron helped prevent dett (which is what RON is all about), but that Ultimate and Optimax produce a bigger bang :thumbsup:

Tried this tesco 99 ron fuel for a test, ok it works, top stuff :thumbsup:

Tried this tesco 99 ron fuel for a test, ok it works, top stuff :thumbsup:

At the end of the day, get the petrol you prefer .. My car seems to like Tesco better (could be down to the fact the engine isn't boosted). But the Shell garage is a LOT closer.

Ultimate made my MR2 hessitate, stutter and pop .. so they've lost a customer.

If I have a hire car etc I put in the cheapest Murco/Jet/Morrisons fuel I can ..

Reset mine twice this week but the damn engine lights keeps coming on because of the decat

They said the 99 ron helped prevent dett (which is what RON is all about), but that Ultimate and Optimax produce a bigger bang :thumbsup:

I read somewhere that tesco's 99 RON is made up with 10% methanol, which could explain the higher octane but lower power output situation.

Anyway, I use Asda 'smartprice' petrol myself. :lol:

dont forget to reset your ecu when you do mate ;)

Got ya! ;) But why did some lads mention that there is no need to reset due to the ECU adapting to the higher RON/octane automatically in real time?

dont forget to reset your ecu when you do mate ;)

Got ya! ;) But why did some lads mention that there is no need to reset due to the ECU adapting to the higher RON/octane automatically in real time?

Resetting manually speeds up the process and also tends to set itself up more accurately :thumbsup:

Resetting manually speeds up the process and also tends to set itself up more accurately :thumbsup:

Ok, and whats the negative aspect of not resetting the ECU? Just would like to know the difference between the two, if I reset it, or if I don't? It will take much longer for the ECU to learn the process if I don't reset it, but it will still work accurately in the long run? :eek:

Your engine's computer will be adjusted to suite the running of your engine. If you add something which changes the way your engine runs like stronger fuel, a bigger exhaust or even something negative like a worn sparkplug etc then the ecu will adjust the settings it has got already to account for these things.

So your talking about the ECU adjusthing and then readjusting so the setting it was using before the change may have a reducing effect on the new settings.

By resetting the ECU completely you are removing all old settings and the ecu will completely res-setup itself from scratch. This is the best way to make sure everything is running as it should. This also clears any old error codes etc :thumbsup:

Your engine's computer will be adjusted to suite the running of your engine. If you add something which changes the way your engine runs like stronger fuel, a bigger exhaust or even something negative like a worn sparkplug etc then the ecu will adjust the settings it has got already to account for these things.

So your talking about the ECU adjusthing and then readjusting so the setting it was using before the change may have a reducing effect on the new settings.

By resetting the ECU completely you are removing all old settings and the ecu will completely res-setup itself from scratch. This is the best way to make sure everything is running as it should. This also clears any old error codes etc :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on this! ;)

Error codes are bad... I keep getting "abnormal turbo presure"

Boooooooooo

Error codes are bad... I keep getting "abnormal turbo presure"

Boooooooooo

Amen .. I keep getting "MAP sensor" ..

And for a while "Knock sensor" - but that was due to not having one - :lol: