Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vitz Key Problem

Matt501

My Vitz import (1.0 GLS Yaris) has no Battery power when it comes to remotely opening and closing the locks. I'm tempted to open the key and change the Battery, however I'm told that if I remove the Battery it will lose some kind of security configuration. Has anyone ever tried this before I do it? I don't know how long the battery has been dead for because it came imported dead already. The locks work fine when I put the key in the car door.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Matt.

Nice car!

We'd probably say the same about yours only we haven't seen any pics, sort some out if you can :thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome to the club

Yep, just take it apart and replace the battery, think it'll be a 2016, and always press UNLOCK button first after putting the new battery in.

OK I've replaced the Battery, but still no joy. I replaced the Battery with an identical one fitted by Toyota. (The Battery was sealed with a professional looking sticker!)

I'm thinking two things.

1. It's either been dropped in water... or

2. The key needs reconfiguring because it's been dead for too long.

Unless anybody has any ideas, it could cost me £36 ex VAT from my local dealership to reconfigure the key.

Help! Matt.

If thats the case then, personally I would order a new key and get it coded into the vehicle.

Don't want to pay £36+VAT to find you've got to buy a new key and pay the £36 again.

found this which was posted by Vmail,it might help you :thumbsup:

System operation

If vehicle unlocked and doors or boot/tailgate not opened within 30 seconds, locks/alarm are reactivated.

Programming

When

Key added or replaced.

System malfunction.

How

Driver’s door open and key removed from ignition switch.

Insert key into ignition switch, then remove it.

Within 40 seconds: Close and open drivers door twice.

Close drivers door.

Insert key into ignition switch.

Switch ignition ON and OFF once to program a new key code whilst retaining the original codes or twice to program new key code whilst erasing the original codes.

Remove key.

System should now lock and unlock vehicle, once or twice depending which mode has been selected.

Carry out the following button procedure within 20 seconds:

Yaris built in Japan and Yaris Verso: Simultaneously press and hold key lock and unlock buttons for 1-1.5 seconds.

Yaris built in France: Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 second and release.

Within 3 seconds:

Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 second and release.

System should now lock and unlock vehicle.

NOTE: If system locks and unlocks vehicle twice, programming procedure has not been completed. Repeat button procedure.

If required repeat button procedure to program remaining keys.

NOTE: To exit programming mode: Open driver’s door.

Wow,

This looks like we're getting somewhere. Thank you so much! I've had such a great response from you guys.

I'll try the sequence you have given me straight away.

Many, Many thanks!

Matt.

found this which was posted by Vmail,it might help you :thumbsup:

System operation

If vehicle unlocked and doors or boot/tailgate not opened within 30 seconds, locks/alarm are reactivated.

Programming

When

Key added or replaced.

System malfunction.

How

Driver’s door open and key removed from ignition switch.

Close drivers door.

Insert key into ignition switch.

Switch ignition ON and OFF once to program a new key code whilst retaining the original codes or twice to program new key code whilst erasing the original codes.

Remove key.

System should now lock and unlock vehicle, once or twice depending which mode has been selected.

Carry out the following button procedure within 20 seconds:

Yaris built in Japan and Yaris Verso: Simultaneously press and hold key lock and unlock buttons for 1-1.5 seconds.

Yaris built in France: Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 second and release.

Within 3 seconds:

Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 second and release.

System should now lock and unlock vehicle.

NOTE: If system locks and unlocks vehicle twice, programming procedure has not been completed. Repeat button procedure.

If required repeat button procedure to program remaining keys.

NOTE: To exit programming mode: Open driver’s door.

Oh, it didn't work :crybaby:

Thanks anyway :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

I ahve just replaced the Battery in my key and although the red light in the key comes on it doesnt open the car, which needs to be done manually. I ahve been through the procedure above and the car locks and then unlocks itself once according to the steps. But still the remote doesn't work. Minidoughty how did you get your key to work again?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links