Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Dressing Warning,

daktari

I`ve noticed in a couple of threads people have mentioned tyre dressing. Well here`s some useful information.

Tyres need to be cleaned differently. Firstly you should get an idea of what happens with tyres as this will help you appreciate why you can't use just any old cleaner or dressing on them. If you were to see rubber going into a tyre factory, it would be grey, not black. Untreated tyres would have a very short life if they weren't protected against the elements and the environment, so amongst other ingredients, Carbon Black is added during the manufacturing process. Carbon Black protects the tyre against Ultra Violet rays by absorbing them and converting them into heat so they can be diffused safely. But the Carbon Black has a limited life-span because, as it does its job, it diminishes itself. When it is no longer there to protect the tyre, the original grey rubber colour starts to reappear.

Along with Carbon Black, the tyre manufacturer mixes in other protective ingredients to repel ozone from the rubber. These waxes and polymers migrate through the tyre at a molecular level to form a barrier against harmful ozone. As the tyres move (with the car being driven) the rubber flexes and heats up, allowing tiny amounts of the wax to surface. When a vehicle is not being driven (eg, classic show cars, weekend cars) then this action and effect is not happening. The rubber can easily dry and rot in this situation.

For the rest of us who have one car, which gets us to work or to the shops, we have the prospect of good tyres but to keep them looking clean and sharp, we can add an extra protective dressing. Unfortunately, manufacturers rarely put ingredients on the bottles of car care products. I recommend that you avoid petroleum-based dressings. Apart from attracting dirt (being sticky and greasy) they also cause degradation of the tyre surface. It's usually impossible to tell from the labels on dressing products, so here are some symptoms of bad chemicals to watch out for on the tyres:

* Is the tyre losing its colour?

* Is it greasy looking?

* Is there a sticky brown residue?

* Is there evidence of cracking?

* Is it getting rough?

The best dressings are water-based and these give added protection as they dry and leave a coating on the rubber. Dressing should be applied with a rag to ensure even coverage over the surface. It is best to apply it when the wheel is clean and dry as it is more obvious where the dressing is going.

More can be found Here

I am actually worried about the tyres on my TT supras as its not been driven for two years!!!!

I might swap wheels over fora bit and go fora blat..... Although gold wheels on a grey car will look pants!

Although gold wheels on any car will look like a scumbarry wannabe!

You are defo right there fella :lol: :!Removed!:

OI :P

However I might take them off, resprey them in anthracite and oput them on my grey car... after all, its got more poke and would make more use of the 9" wide rears!!!

I've gone black on black with my BBSs and it defo stands out from the crowd ;)

It's the 245's that's a killer on the wallet :( esp when one lasts a week before expiring ..

I've gone black on black with my BBSs and it defo stands out from the crowd ;)

It's the 245's that's a killer on the wallet :( esp when one lasts a week before expiring ..

Yeah they look good - you pulled alongside me at the Peter Greens junction (BP / Citroen garage) Thurs night. I wouldn't have turned to look if it wasn't for your crazy exhaust... don't think you saw me though... you were too busy picking ear wax out of your ears :lol: :lol:

I got some meguilars tyre black at the weekend sprayed it on and just wiped the excess off the wheel, still look shiny and new :D

boot polish :thumbsup: does the job better than anything and you dont pay 15 quid for any spazzy name tag

boot polish :thumbsup: does the job better than anything and you dont pay 15 quid for any spazzy name tag

Now why didn't I think of that?? <_<

*puts shoe polish on the shopping list :lol:

And you can get the liquid kiwi stuff to *really* be lazy ..

In that case, I suppose one of those "quick shine" silicon impregnated sponges would also do the job and not so messy if you get any on something other than the tyre.

you can even spruce up the old clodhoppers aswell after youve blinged up your tyres :D

I use Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel, it gives a good natyral sheen, just like they look from a tyre retailer.. not too shiney and not too dull.. it goes on with a rag and just buff it off.

endurancehighgloss1.GIF

About 8 quid a bottle, and you get quite a few applications for your money.

I use Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel, it gives a good natyral sheen, just like they look from a tyre retailer.. not too shiney and not too dull.. it goes on with a rag and just buff it off.

endurancehighgloss1.GIF

About 8 quid a bottle, and you get quite a few applications for your money.

I use that as well great stuff but dont put to much on as it will flick off when driving and it goes all over the paint work :shutit: Smells nice too :yes:

jerry!!

I think the one we used was Armourall, in a big spray can. Rubbed off the extra with a cloth too and the brake dust/dirt attraction was still really bad..

Does anyone else find the same problem? :unsure:

Scuff coat Shoe polish is also ace at reviving old leather seats!!!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links