Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Alarm Key Fobs

sotal

Not got chance to test this yet (as I can't find my non working keyfob!) but a lot of people have had problems with their keyfobs recently.

I've got a friend who works for the RAC and whilst he was round I got him to look up keyfobs etc for Celicas and there was a load of information which had been given to the RAC by Toyota Technicians.

Anyway the main points were:

FAULT: KEYFOB STOPPED WORKING BUT LED LIGHTS UP AND BATTERIES ARE OK

Step one.

Resync - Stand near the car and press both buttons together and hold them down for two seconds (this will only work with the car it was intended to work with)

Step two (if step one failed to work).

Reset Circuitry - Press and hold the furthest button away from the chain (arm button) now whilst keeping it held undo the screw on the back and remove the back cover - this will inturn remove the Battery. Keep the arm button pressed down, wait atleast 10 seconds and then replace the back cover. Now release the arm button and test the remote. If it fails to operate try Step 1 again.

Step three. (If all else fails)

Unlock the car with the key, the alarm will sound for 30 seconds, during this time get in and close the door and turn the key to ACC. Wait until the alarm stops. Then start the car, this will temporarily disable the alarm for the journey. When you get to your destination open the door before you stop the engine. Once you close the door the alarm will rearm itself

I will try Step 2 as soon as I find the duff Fob!

I guess you could use the time that the alarm is temporarily disabled to open the bonnet and disconnect the siren. To save the 30 seconds of noise when you return to the car - but I also presume you would still have to wait the 30 seconds to start it???

Hope this helps someone - might be worth being put as a pinned topic if it works :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It works!!!!

I couldn't believe it, I found the dead key fob which hasn't worked for months (I tried everything ever posted before to try and get it to work without any luck!)

I held the arm button down, took the back off (which takes the Battery out) waited 20 seconds, then replaced the Battery and back. I then pressed both buttons and held them down for about 5 seconds - nothing appeared to happen - then I pressed the lock button and it worked and so did unlock!

So I've gone from having a dead remote to a working one.

As it works and a lot of people seem to have this problem can we pin this info

Cheers :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that i'll give it a go, i managed to get to a Toyota dealer without my alarm going off and the guy just looked at me with a big blank look, telling me that i'd have to book it in - which would be over a week later. All i wanted was for someone to look at it for 5 mins. He didn't seem to understand that i may not be able to get back without the alrm going off. I managed to get 1 fob going again myself so i'll give the other 1 a go tonight

• 3 months later...

Well I was glad of this info again!!

I was driving the landrover yesterday but whilst I was out the exhaust fell off (another story) but anyway I went home to drop the landrover off and get the celica and the damn thing wouldn't unlock with the keyfob. I ended up opening the door with the key which set the alarm off - so I jumped in put the keys in and turned it to ACC - waited a few seconds and the alarm stopped. I started the car and drove back to work - all went fine - I opened the door switched it off and locked up.

I knew I had some spare batteries in my office drawer so I went up put anew one in and went back to my car to try it - nothing.

I then followed my own instructions above and held the lock button took the cover off waited ten seconds put it back on and the car door unlocked and it's worked fine since!! You have to hold the arm button I tried it first without doing so and it did nothing.

Saved me having to be embarrassed at work with the alarm going off again and saved me having to go to Mr T to have it sorted!!

• 1 month later...

Thank you Mr sotal...this worked perfectly on step one!...if only everything in life was that simple!

Not got chance to test this yet (as I can't find my non working keyfob!) but a lot of people have had problems with their keyfobs recently.

I've got a friend who works for the RAC and whilst he was round I got him to look up keyfobs etc for Celicas and there was a load of information which had been given to the RAC by Toyota Technicians.

Step one.

Resync - Stand near the car and press both buttons together and hold them down for two seconds (this will only work with the car it was intended to work with)

Reset Circuitry - Press and hold the furthest button away from the chain (arm button) now whilst keeping it held undo the screw on the back and remove the back cover - this will inturn remove the battery. Keep the arm button pressed down, wait atleast 10 seconds and then replace the back cover. Now release the arm button and test the remote. If it fails to operate try Step 1 again.

Unlock the car with the key, the alarm will sound for 30 seconds, during this time get in and close the door and turn the key to ACC. Wait until the alarm stops. Then start the car, this will temporarily disable the alarm for the journey. When you get to your destination open the door before you stop the engine. Once you close the door the alarm will rearm itself

I guess you could use the time that the alarm is temporarily disabled to open the bonnet and disconnect the siren. To save the 30 seconds of noise when you return to the car - but I also presume you would still have to wait the 30 seconds to start it???

Hope this helps someone - might be worth being put as a pinned topic if it works :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

This didn't work for my face lift UK Toyota Celica GT. This has a 5000 series Toyota alarm that is actually manufactured by Scorpion.

The key fob has two buttons, one to arm/disarm, and one panic button. This stopped working.

Changing the Battery and resetting the key fob according to the manual didn't work.

To fix this i took out the alarm ECU. This is under the passenger air bag. You'll need to take off the glove box and the panels underneath. There is a small box mounted vertically screwed onto the car chasis, its quite tricky to get to, but just underneath the nearside of the airbag.

If you can get this out and send with the keyfob to www.scorpionauto.com there is a good chance they can fix the alarm pretty cheaply. Give them a ring first though,

A Toyota Dealer had failed to fix the alarm.

• 5 months later...

This is awesome!!

i've been using my key to unlock and lock the door for about 2 years.

:thumbsup:

now i can zap away to my hearts content.

dude, you rock!

I knew about step one (hold both buttons for two seconds, then press unlock twice), I've been doing that for a while. It tends to work for about a week or so before I have to do it again. Didn't know about step two though, I'll try that.

• 7 months later...
nope just the gen 6

dam! anyone know how to re-program the key fob on a gen 7? it will start the car but not lock/unlock the car!

• 1 month later...

Step one.

Reset Circuitry - Press and hold the furthest button away from the chain (arm button) now whilst keeping it held undo the screw on the back and remove the back cover - this will inturn remove the battery. Keep the arm button pressed down, wait atleast 10 seconds and then replace the back cover. Now release the arm button and test the remote. If it fails to operate try Step 1 again.

Step one.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a pre-facelift Gen7, Would anyone know if Step 2 would work if I were to replace the Battery completely, and what Battery does it take?

Thanks in advance

Neil

• 2 months later...

Step one.

Step one.

Cheers mate tried step 2 several times, on the third attempt :held button, removed screw, split casing, key fell out and hit ground, swore loudly :angry: , put it back together and it worked! B)

Fantastic - I was strandad, couldn't open my car with the fob, and when using the key the alarm went off and the engine wouldn't start, got a lift home and found this advice. Resync'd the system no problem....all back in perfect working order. Thanks!!

Cheers mate tried step 2 several times, on the third attempt :held button, removed screw, split casing, key fell out and hit ground, swore loudly :angry: , put it back together and it worked! B)
Fantastic - I was strandad, couldn't open my car with the fob, and when using the key the alarm went off and the engine wouldn't start, got a lift home and found this advice. Resync'd the system no problem....all back in perfect working order. Thanks!!

No problem - glad it helped some people out B)

• 3 months later...

hi all,

just bought a 6 gen celica 1995 used.. and to my disappointment it didnt come with the fob for the alarm where do i need to go to get a replacement? a main dealer?

• 1 year later...

Step one.