Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Rattly, Squeaky Saga Continues....

Gnome

Well, took my little Yaris into Inchcape Thursday night, so they could do the work Friday.

I got a courtesy car, and I very reluctantly paid the £10 fee for the insurance when I picked it up Friday afternoon.

When I picked it up, the lady on the service desk went through the work they'd done.

Bearing in mind I told them when I booked it in, the noises were intermittent (rattly windows when wound down, was at higher speeds, and the suspension was on dry days, at slow speed), it turns out all they'd done was a road test!

To say I was annoyed was a bit of an understatement, but I kept my usual (suave, sophisticated... :D) cool head, and explained I had told them before it was intermittent.

She got one of the technicians to come out and have a chat, and he reckons the "rattly windows" is a "characteristic with alot of the P1/ P2 Yarii?" I told him my 10yr old Micra never suffered that fault, so why should a 2yr old Toyota? He couldn't explain, but added they could refit the entire window equipment, and it'd still do it...

I then pointed out, if they'd taken the time to "rock the car" (steady ladies...), they would of heard the squeak from the rear driver's side suspension. I demonstrated, and sure enough, it squeaked. He suspects a dry suspension bush, so it'll now have to go back, for a 2 day stint this time, for that job to be done!

I'm waiting for my usual call from Toyota's customer call centre, as I'm one seriously hacked off dude, and I already feel sorry for the person who'll be the other end (although I will reassure them it's not personal), as apart from the fact, that they'll now expect a £20 payment to cover their "insurance fee," it'll cost me another 50 miles in petrol for the round trip, and if they give me another courtesy car with hardly anything in, it'll cost me more! :ffs:

My first question is to those who've had the rattly windows under warranty? Did your local Mr T fix it? If so, do you know how, cause then I can point it out to the so called "technicians" at Inchcape Oxford, on how they should've done the job.

I would've expected a company as large as Toyota to have waived this so-called "insurance fee" they get from Norwich Union, especially when they have the cheek to ask the customer to fill up their courtesy cars at their own expense - hardly a courtesy now, is it?

I've been sizzling since Friday, so I think I'm working on a tan now.... :censor:

Thank you for listening, and I hope you've enjoyed this weekends theatre....

Most people know my feelings on "courtesy" cars, basically because when I have strong opinions, I dont shut up about them.... :lol:

I've never once been charged for a courtesy car, nor for petrol in said courtesy car - this in itself is an outrage! Have you told them this John? I bloody would, no one else has to pay it, why should you?

Cant comment about rattly windows mate, but this particular dealership is a very shoddy outfit - I know you've looked at other dealerships in the past, how about the one in Stratford? I know its still a fair way to go, but if you get a better service, it might be worth it.... :unsure: I dont think they are a Toyota centre, but they are approved for after-sales.... they're called Murley Auto btw. :thumbsup:

Really hope you get this sorted mate! :group-cuddles:

Think I might try them. They're all at least 20 miles from my house, so it's always a trek to one, but I never paid for anything the first time in went in for warranty either.

Think I'll give Murley a ring Monday, see what they say, and I'll ask them up front about a courtesy car as well....

sorry im with dave on this one.As i have done work on cars & trucks i think you are been a bit picky,as a mechanic you get under the vehical and check to make shore everything is in good working order,squeeks and rattles are a very common carictoristic in most cars and if everything is in good working order then you leave it ..

I mean micheal jackson is a perfect example of fixing something that that isn't broken untill eventually it is broken ........imho

I don't think you're being picky at all. If rattles are a characteristic of modern cars then they'd better start saying so at the bottom of their ads! :yes:

Oh and I've had courtesy cars loads of times and never once paid anything at all. A courtesy car you have to pay insurance on? bit of an oxymoron, that one!

That is total class and soooo true! :lol:

Doesn't mean you can't get your own back and give Mr T a hard time though. :thumbsup:

Norwich Union provide the cover? Who told you that out of interest?

Last time I looked the Insurance Co. I worked for Insured them & I don't work for Norwich Union :lol:

Squeaks are annoying, if they sound like interior ones then I am not bothered but if they are coming from the frame/engine so to speak then I'm bothered! Our Yaris Blue has got a vibration happening when left in too high of a gear but that's my fault anyway, if it's not struggling it's not vibrating!!

I say pursue this as much as you can if you aren't happy with it as it's your car not anyone elses :thumbsup:

Don't worry, I will be pursuing this.

I don't think it's picky at all. Ive paid about £6k for a car, and I expect it to be working correctly, especially seeing as it's only 2 yrs old, with only 25k miles on the clock.

Would you pay £250,000 for a house, and expect problems with it, that you had not been told about?

As I said, I had a 10yr old Micra, with 130K on the clock. Not one rattle or squeak from it, so why should such a new car produce so many noises?

Complete verbal garbage in my opinion, and I won't stop till it's sorted...

Blue: Lady on the service desk quoted "Norwich Union charge us £10 per day for a courtesy car," so this gets passed onto the customer.

Hey dude ...... wasn't having a go or nothing

Was just saying that you have to expect the few squeaks and rattles especially with the conditions of to days roads and the last time I seen your car it had a dent in it ;) .

But I guess there are 'rattle and squeaks' and then there's 'rattle and squeaks'.

I hope you get it sorted though but cheers for the heads up on the garage - they seem to be having alot of problems

Would you pay £250,000 for a house, and expect problems with it, that you had not been told about?

We paid £111,000 for ours, and its full of problems we werent informed about, but unfortunately you dont get a three year warranty with a house! :rolleyes:

Therefore I think Johns right to utilise the warranty he has :thumbsup:

Think I will clarky, as I know you mentioned them before. Pretty much the same distance to Oxford/ Cov for me anyways.

Ta. ;)

Well, it's booked in again now for the suspension to be sorted (next week), and I have been told there will be no charge for the courtesy car (damn straight!).

Still no resolve with the windows though. I would have preferred a technician to actually look at the windows, rather than take my car for a test run, and probably rag it round kidlington.

I'm awaiting my courtesy call form Toyota still, so then I will let them know what I think of Inchcape, Oxford...

It continues further!

Dropped mine off yet again 2nite, and as well as having been told they'll look inside the doors to see if there is a problem with the windows, they'll be doing the suspension bush, and my courtesy car is FOC.

They've given me a Brand new Yaris MkII as well.

Drives better than I had thought, but it feels gutless compared to my Yaris.

Still, it feels comfier, and definately has alot more room than mine, and all the mod cons, bar the steel wheels, and the fact it's a little 1.0l.

Come home happy tonight, and they'll ring me when it's done (2, possibly 3 day job!).

Will keep you all posted.

It still chuffin well squeaks!!!!

I called Toyota again this afternoon, to ask why it's still squeaking, and said it wasn't squeaking when on the road, but now only when i got in and out of the car.

To prove the theory, I started "pushing the car about," (as you do), and sure enough it squeaks.

Spoke to the service blokie, and he said it's summit to do with the handbrake being applied, and the torsion causing the brake shoe to move slightly, causing the squeak???

Also said, it was common in Yarii and Corolla's...

Is it me, or is that bull?

Anyone else's squeak when they get in and out of it when the handbrake is applied?

Does anyone else's car "squeak" when the handbrake is applied, and they're getting in and out of the car?

My next plan of action is to contact Toyota GB, and ask them if they also think that this is a "design fault."

If it is, I'd then like that in writing....

Anyone else?

Just need some verbal ammo to report back to Toyota with.

I'm considering ringing Toyota GB next, and asking whether this is a known fault, and if it is, I'd like it in writing!

Anyone else?

Just need some verbal ammo to report back to Toyota with.

I'm considering ringing Toyota GB next, and asking whether this is a known fault, and if it is, I'd like it in writing!

Good God man, no chance of a squeak here. I hates 'em, I tell you. I hates 'em! ;)

My car went back to Mr T for every squeak and creak. To be fair, they sorted them out under warranty. I went in on Tuesday for its first service and I could almost see chap who usually deals with me (but handn't taken my service booking) thinking "Oh no, what's he heard in his car this time?".

Good Luck matey. :thumbsup:

Lol.

Well, I spoke to a mate of mine last night, and he also agreed that it could well be the drum brake causing the squeak.

He advised pulling the handbrake on "hard" on seeing if that helped clear it (hence, the extra force pushing the shoe back in place), I'll try it, and see.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links