Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Rattly, Squeaky Saga Continues....

Gnome

I haven't noticed it on my wife's Yaris.

I do have the rattling windows though on my Avensis, Had glass channels changed under warranty, but they still rattle. Got used to it now, although it's OK in the winter as I don't have the windows open.

I also hat the dreaded S & R issues on cars, they drive me mad. I tend to sort them out myself though. This way you know what's been done & how the parts have been refitted.

If they insist on your issue relates to brake shoes, demand they change them to cure the problem. This way, if you keep demanding part changes they may start to investigate in-depth.

It's frustrating as a car is the second most expensive product you will buy. The least you expect is reliable, friendly & knowledgeable service. It's about time Manufacturers started to take franchises away from those dealers who receive poor feedback!

• 7 months later...

Lol.

Well, I spoke to a mate of mine last night, and he also agreed that it could well be the drum brake causing the squeak.

He advised pulling the handbrake on "hard" on seeing if that helped clear it (hence, the extra force pushing the shoe back in place), I'll try it, and see.

Sorry guys to bring this old chestnut story back to life.

I have the same problem, did you managed the fix in the end?

I have taken to Mr T once and they could not find anything. I know the squeek comes from the rear either busing/suspension. This haapens if I leave the stationary for a few hours and it only squeeks foe the fisrt mile of drive on bumpy road. After this, I won't get any squuek.

Explained this to Mr T and they test driven it and could find anything wrong with it. But it squuek again as soon as I collected the car. ARe they death???

However, I think it could be right (someone mebtioned above) about the rear drum making the noise. In on occasion I remembered I depressed the break very hard at one time nd started the car, and I couldn't hear any noise. Maybe I could mention this is the mechanic next time.

However, I did get a free courtesy car..

It could be a number of things.

Mine as mentioned previously in this topic, was the rear suspension bush.

Inchcape Toyota also took mine for a test drive, and said they found no noise.

I proved it to them in the end, by parking the car up, standing at the rear driver's side of the car, and pushing the car, creating a rocking motion.

This is obviously enough to move the suspension components around, and proved the noise to one of the technician's.

It came back though, but only when parked up, and getting in and out of the car. The reason for this being that something squeeked with the handbrake applied - forget exactly, but was told nothing to worry about.

Could also be the latch on your boot - needs greasing up!

Have to say though, that I never noticed it ever from about a couple of weeks after they had it in.

I suggest some "good" braking might solve the problem. ;)

Now calm down folks- here is the low down. The most annoying squeak/rattle is caused by the two tailgate stops either side of the aperature, about half way down. Smear on a little grease, silicone preferably and that is cured. Lubricate the hinges, gas strut pivot points and catch and it's even better. Lubrication will need to be applied regularly as it dries out. The next s/r is from the A post covers, where they land on top of the dash. If you have side air curtains, then it's a dealer job to remove and refit the covers, otherwise just pull and lift and they will come away in your hand. Look for the two pointy bits at the base of the cover. Stick on some self adhesive felt to allow the dash to shuffle about without rubbing against the cover. The felt is available in a sound insulation kit that is supplied to dealers to cure s/r. Ask, they may let you have a strip, or even do it for you, if you can point to the s/r that's annoying you. It's almost impossible to cure a rattle that you (the technician) haven't heard and all the job card says is "rattle from rear". So spare a thought for us in the workshop. Be specific and we will try. Regards Ray

Now calm down folks...

Lol - who was not calm?

P.S. Apart from the recent responses today, you'll find the rest of the topic is a bit dated. ;)

Now calm down folks...

Lol - who was not calm?

P.S. Apart from the recent responses today, you'll find the rest of the topic is a bit dated. ;)

I reduced alot of rattle from my doors when I removed the door sides and glued the small plastic things that attach the door side to the rest of the door. I removed them and put them back with some silicon glue. That made a big difference.

The locking knobs on top of the door sides might be another noise source. Mine are rattling a bit when driving. I think that the metal rod connecting the knob to the lock mekanism can be tied with some elastic band to make it stay still when driving.

I had a real problem with Mr T (Currie Motors in Watford) who were adamant that thye couldnt hear any whistling, whines from the engine and that all the rattles were normal characteristics of the car. I then went to Jemca who also said the same. I had a problem of a notchy gearchange which they said was because the carpet was coming under the cluthc pedal!!! How crazy is that. Anyway, rattles - well according to their test driver who was a real expert, it was all OK, so its been down to me to locate the rattly bits and stick some felt in there. Will have the interior out over the winter and will plaster on the felt all over the place, so i hope that helps. There are rattles by the seatbelt, the door locks in the slots and some in the dash so any ideas here would be welcomed.

I had a real problem with Mr T (Currie Motors in Watford) who were adamant that thye couldnt hear any whistling, whines from the engine and that all the rattles were normal characteristics of the car. I then went to Jemca who also said the same. I had a problem of a notchy gearchange which they said was because the carpet was coming under the cluthc pedal!!! How crazy is that. Anyway, rattles - well according to their test driver who was a real expert, it was all OK, so its been down to me to locate the rattly bits and stick some felt in there. Will have the interior out over the winter and will plaster on the felt all over the place, so i hope that helps. There are rattles by the seatbelt, the door locks in the slots and some in the dash so any ideas here would be welcomed.

Read my previous posts in this thread :)

• 1 month later...

I've had many problems with my Yaris 1.3 TVi with knackered window seals caving in, parts falling off and an annoying loud squeak when the brakes were applied. Only bought it August for £6200 and they said after inspecting it nothing was wrong at RRG Bolton, so I took it to RRG Salford Quays they said the brake pads needed cleaning. Took it back to RRG Bolton for cleaning, who then said my brake discs had began to corrode and needed skimming and new brake pads! Squeak stopped finally ahem. They just managed to not fit my wheel trim back on properly so it went missing later that day. My dashboard sounds like its sparking a wire, never had such problems with a car. I've had bangers all my life and never had these problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links