Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Synchro Problems

richardAE111

Hi,

Maybe someone could give me info on what you think the problem is, the car is a 98 Corolla Levin BZR AE111 6 speed 4A-GE, start the car in the morning, ok in to first gear but then the change into second is pretty difficult and then when it finally goes, (after back to neutral and trying into second a couple of times) it crunches as it goes in, (the engine is idling when i'm trying to change so its not because the revs are up too high) This only seems to happen when the engine is cold and after maybe 5-10 mins of driving it seems fine and the problem doesn't arise until the next cold morning.

I've got a couple of opinions from people, one being that the gearbox synchro to second gear is out and i need a new gearbox but i'm not too sure that this is the problem as when the car heats up the change to second is fine, the other being, the clutch is on its last legs and only when the clutch plates heat up, it then slips into second easier, the clutch does bite very near the end which would suggest its pretty worn, but unfortunately i don't know much myself and thats why some assistance would be great. The car is under warranty only for the engine and box but if it is the clutch, i don't think that will be covered, the car is only new so i'm pretty annoyed about it, look forward to anyone who can help.

Sounds like the gearbox oil might be a bit manky - I'd change that first and see if it makes a difference. You could check the level first and top it up if low and see if that makes a difference before doing the oil change. If the change improves a lot when warmed up then I wouldn't have thought it was likely to be a synchro, as I wouldn't have thought this would improve dramatically when warmed up (although this is guesswork).

yeah thats what i thought as well, if its fine changing when warm its probably not synchro, but i'll change the gearbox oil later today or tomorrow and post back, thanks for the advice

Try using Redline MT-90. I was having problems with 2nd and 3rd and it was like I hade a different gearbox when I used it. Info here

redline oil looks pretty good, might give it a try, went out to the garage today and the mechanic there said its not likely to be gearbox synchro cause if it was it would happen all the time, so he suggested a gearbox oil change and hes gonna put ATF oil in the gearbox on wednesday, so hopefully that will get rid of the problem, i just hope it won't mask the problem and prolong it till my warranty is out of date

also the b****** won't cover the clutch on the warranty, said its only engine and box, i only have the car five days and i doubt the clutch will last till the end of the week, just spent ten grand on the thing and now ill have to throw out another few hundred to get a new clutch :ffs: buyer beware, learn from my mistakes, just hope i didn't invest ten grand in a shopping trolley

heres a couple of pics of the car in question, plan to put 17" oz superturismo wrcs when all this stuff is sorted and a few TRD bits and pieces, its already got a apexi power filter and a hks exhaust system so shes nice and noisy, what ya think?

southsideautomotiveLEVWHI521.jpgsouthsideautomotiveLEVWHI522.jpg

southsideautomotiveLEVWHI520.jpg

heres a couple of pics of the car in question, plan to put 17" oz superturismo wrcs when all this stuff is sorted and a few TRD bits and pieces, its already got a apexi power filter and a hks exhaust system so shes nice and noisy, what ya think?

southsideautomotiveLEVWHI521.jpgsouthsideautomotiveLEVWHI522.jpg

southsideautomotiveLEVWHI520.jpg

One of the nicest examples of this model I've seen in a while with the kit it has got etc! :thumbsup:

Nice looking motor, I had the same problem a while ago with 2-3rd a change of gearbox oil sorted that!

Does that levin come with superstrut? depending on mileage you might have another problem soon that will be a bit costly! The dreaded knocking sound!!!

yeah its got superstrut, its got 75,000km on the clock, its 8 years old so i just hope its not clocked, but i've heard the japanese do very low mileage per year compared to europeans so its possibly fine

can i do anything to prevent the knocking sound? how does it happen? :unsure:

You cannot prevent the knocking sound :crybaby: Mine went at 90000 and 93000 miles and cost 450 per side :lol: 75k sound very very low have the changed it to miles allready?

no don't need to have it changed over, speed limits are kmh in ireland , 46,000 miles does seem quite low for an eight year old car but i'm hoping its genuine, just under 6,000 miles a year, i'd do about that myself, it does drive very well and the engine is is in good condition

no noises or knocking yet :)

getting the gearbox oil changed tomorrow morning, hoping that will help my cold gearbox troubles :unsure:

dont worry about the mileage lad, if the condition of the car is good, then the mileage is more than likely genuine. btw, ive had a lot of trouble with 20v gearbox's before. my last 20v (corolla) was bought off me before i could properly investigate the crunching from 1st to second(when cold).

if you have to get a new gearbox, which is unlikely, try and source a ae101 gze one with lsd.

You cannot prevent the knocking sound :crybaby: Mine went at 90000 and 93000 miles and cost 450 per side :lol: 75k sound very very low have the changed it to miles allready?

You do find super-strut aftermarket kits on eBay quite often though.... don't you? :unsure: From what I remember from my Glanza days from searching for Tein, TRD etc etc...

You do find super-strut aftermarket kits on eBay quite often though.... don't you? :unsure: From what I remember from my Glanza days from searching for Tein, TRD etc etc...

Not sure about that mate I have only seen 1 TEIN kit for my type of superstrut in 3 year!! And I just missed out on getting it!, Th TEIN kit is over 1000 also the TRD kit is over 1000 and I think that is only for the strut. The lower arms go anyway so having the TRD or TEIN kit does nothing to fix the problem :crybaby: When you get the knocking sound you have to change bother lower arms, ball joint and top mount :!Removed!: The GT4 suffers from the same problem, the parts are not the same the levin type is slightly smaller :( but it is a bit cheaper to get the parts :lol: I did wonder about the new celica that has superstrut if that will suffer from the same problem in the future :o

Not sure about that mate, TEIN do a kit but I think its over 1000 also the TRD kit is over 1000 and I think that is only for the strut. The lower arms go anyway so having the TRD or TEIN kit does nothing to fix the problem :crybaby: When you get the knocking sound you have to change bother lower arms, ball joint and top mount :!Removed!: The GT4 suffers from the same problem, the parts are not the same the levin type is slightly smaller :( but it is a bit cheaper to get the parts :lol: I did wonder about the new celica that has superstrut if that will suffer from the same problem in the future :o

Oh dear!!! :eek: I take it this is the 'figure of 8' problem everyone talks about when they mention GT4s! Sorry, I misunderstood and thought the problem with super-strut suspension was related to the shock absorber... :!Removed!:

Oh dear!!! :eek: I take it this is the 'figure of 8' problem everyone talks about when they mention GT4s! Sorry, I misunderstood and thought the problem with super-strut suspension was related to the shock absorber... :!Removed!:

Thats the one mate :thumbsup: It's a real pain :ffs:

went out to the mechanic today and he replaced the gearbox oil, told me that using a thinner oil such as ATF would help stop the crunch, left the car for a few hours, went back and it seemed fine, but i'll know properly in the morning whether he was right or not

also asked him about the super strut, said he knew one guy who had to get his replaced, i didn't even say knocking to him and he said it, so its obviously a known problem with the levins, he said the parts weren't too expensive, something like a few hundred for the strut but he said he didn't know the prices of the little bits and pieces that go with it

ive another question regarding clutches, should i start a new topic or not?

trd clutch? or helix clutch with fidanza flywheel?

Hi there Richard!

Nice car mate! Looks very tidy!

You say you are going to fit OZ rims to it soon, any chance you are selling the old rims, if so i might be interested depending on price!

I run a Helix paddle clutch in my Corolla, proves very well on track, but be advised, go stright to Helix (not fensport) as its cheaper that way! ;)

Fidanza flywheels are great for track use etc, but you do end up having to change gear quicker with alloy flywheels, as there is less weight to keep that engine spinning, between changes, making an un smooth ride!

Cheers dude

Rob :D

hey rob, thanks for the advice, the un smooth ride wouldn't appeal to me, i think the trd sports facing clutch as opposed to metal facing might be a bit more suitable, might leave the standard flywheel in it, just get it cleaned up a bit

yeah i'll sell you the rims no prob, just put a set of contisports on the front, very nice tyre, dunno if you want the tyres or not, they're no good to me, but obviously the delivery will be higher with the tyres, i'd give you the rims for EUR200, thats about STG140, i won't have the new rims for about 3-4 weeks but if you're still interested then :thumbsup:

I have the jun fly wheel in my car it's 4.6kg great for driving around but in traffic the car idles a lot lower then standard. But you get used to it :lol::lol: I reckon it was worth it just for the sound when it combines with the supercharger whine :drool::drool: