Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is'nt 1.4 D-4d Engine Too Weak For Corolla?

artispu@one.lv

Is'nt 1.4 D-4D engine too weak for Corolla? I have planned to buy Corolla 1.4L D-4D. Is'nt 1.4 liter diesel engine resource too little?

Well looking at the specs, its not going to be remotely sporty - 0-60 in 13.3 is not exactly quick, but it does have nearly the same bhp as the 1.4 petrol, and a shedload more torque, so depending on how you like to drive it may do you fine. If you want a motorway cruiser with good fuel consumption, and aren't bothered about racing people away from traffic lights, then I'd expect the diesel to be fine for you.

Assuming you are planning to buy new, why not just get some test drives organised at a dealer? It's the only way you can be sure whether its got enough grunt for your tastes :)

Well looking at the specs, its not going to be remotely sporty - 0-60 in 13.3 is not exactly quick, but it does have nearly the same bhp as the 1.4 petrol, and a shedload more torque, so depending on how you like to drive it may do you fine. If you want a motorway cruiser with good fuel consumption, and aren't bothered about racing people away from traffic lights, then I'd expect the diesel to be fine for you.

Assuming you are planning to buy new, why not just get some test drives organised at a dealer? It's the only way you can be sure whether its got enough grunt for your tastes :)

Driving share is:

60% is city

40% is motorway

At this moment I have 1.6 liter petrol engine from Honda. It is enough for me and my driving style. I am not a rally driver. This Honda engine have 110 hp and this is very powerful engine. But Toyota 1.4 D4D have 90 hp.

Corolla Mass is 1175 kg

Honda Civic 3D Mass is 1192 kg

How do you think 90 hp and 1.4 Diesel engine is enough for 1175 kg mass?

I think that these funny seconds (13 sec or 11) are not vital for driving in the city. I am worried about 1.4 liter diesel engine resource...

Well first of all - the d4d will be very different to drive from your honda 1.6 petrol, just because diesels are very different animals - if you've driven a turboed diesel engine car, you'll know what I mean. You get lots of torque at the low end of the rev scale, but the diesel engine will tend to run out of puff as you rev it higher, unlike a petrol which just pulls harder the more you rev.

I think I know the Honda engine you have (assuming its the VTEC one) - its a pretty fun engine to have, and is very 'petrolly' in its power delivery (i.e. the power just keeps rising as you rev, even more so because of the VTEC system), so you might find something like a d4d a bit of a shock :) Whether you can live with it is a personal thing.

This might be tantamount to blasphemy on this forum, but if you ARE looking for a brand new car, and are interested in a diesel AND like Hondas, then check out the new Civic 2.2 diesel - my dads just bought one of these and they are amazingly fun :D !Removed! expensive though!

Well first of all - the d4d will be very different to drive from your honda 1.6 petrol, just because diesels are very different animals - if you've driven a turboed diesel engine car, you'll know what I mean. You get lots of torque at the low end of the rev scale, but the diesel engine will tend to run out of puff as you rev it higher, unlike a petrol which just pulls harder the more you rev.

I think I know the Honda engine you have (assuming its the VTEC one) - its a pretty fun engine to have, and is very 'petrolly' in its power delivery (i.e. the power just keeps rising as you rev, even more so because of the VTEC system), so you might find something like a d4d a bit of a shock :) Whether you can live with it is a personal thing.

This might be tantamount to blasphemy on this forum, but if you ARE looking for a brand new car, and are interested in a diesel AND like Hondas, then check out the new Civic 2.2 diesel - my dads just bought one of these and they are amazingly fun :D !Removed! expensive though!

In Latvian Honda center said that I can get New Civic 5-door only in next (2007) Year february. I am very unhappy about this date of delivery. It is crazy delivery time. New Civic is very marketable.

Yes, I have 1.6 liter VTEC engine.I t is very nice engine (and car too) but I have problems with steering gear. At least after each 20 - 30 000 km I need to change steering gear and this is very expensive action. Approx. 1100 EUR. In Latvia we have bad roads. These are Honda dealer words....

How it is with Honda in UK?

We had the 2.0 D-4D Corolla and found that to be perfectly adequate....

On paper the 1.4 doesnt sound great, but all you can do is test drive and see what you think, but I'd recommend the 2.0 diesel over anything, its economical enough but also has a bite to it.... :thumbsup:

We had the 2.0 D-4D Corolla and found that to be perfectly adequate....

On paper the 1.4 doesnt sound great, but all you can do is test drive and see what you think, but I'd recommend the 2.0 diesel over anything, its economical enough but also has a bite to it.... :thumbsup:

Yea! Next week I will go to Toyota dealer and will try Corolla diesel 1.4 D4D.

Is some child and regular problems with Corolla?

In Latvian Honda center said that I can get New Civic 5-door only in next (2007) Year february. I am very unhappy about this date of delivery. It is crazy delivery time. New Civic is very marketable.

Yes, I have 1.6 liter VTEC engine.I t is very nice engine (and car too) but I have problems with steering gear. At least after each 20 - 30 000 km I need to change steering gear and this is very expensive action. Approx. 1100 EUR. In Latvia we have bad roads. These are Honda dealer words....

How it is with Honda in UK?

Well the new 5 door Civic has only been out a few months here, so I don't know what the release date is in Latvia - delivery was only 2 weeks here in the UK though, but then they do build the things in Swindon anyway :)

Had mine for 6 months and done 14K miles. Average 40mph & 53.6mpg.

Performance is adequate. Will cruise at the legal limit and above easily.

Don't get a MMT. Very disappointed. In slow traffic hunts between 1st & 2nd in E mode and changes to 1st in manual mode are jerky.

Brakes bite too.

Other than that an adequate hack to get to work. Pretty boring but does exactly whats required.

Hi there.

Here in Portugal, the 1.4D-4D is beeing a sales success for over an year. The best in quality/price rate.

Well, the motor, isn't quite a sporty one, but I cruise some dailly routes over 180k/h marked on my handy GPS and he doesn't cry a bit!

The brakes are good, the interiors very good (mine came from japan - JTD), good in curves withou loss of confort.

And that's it for more than an year and more than 30kkm done.

B.rgrds

I just had my new d4d mmt delivered. I think only those find the mmt gearbox unfriendly and annoying who also hate conventional auto boxes. I got used to it quite early and with a bit of attention you can easily make it change gears as smooth as a normal auto. The performance is no racecar but enough for normal use even in highway speeds. On the motorway the car out performs new 1.4 petrol engines and can keep pace with 1.6 petrols. Hope the reliability will be good too... Anyone has some experience in that matter?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links