Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt Change Miles/years?

Rich OneDay

I have just bought a year 2000 1.8 GS Mk I Avensis (ie non VVTi) which has only done about 20,000 miles since June 2000, ie nearly six years. I have since realised some cars have their cambelts changed on a years basis not mileage, eg 5 or 6 years. I don't have access to the owners manual yet, can anyone tell me what the Avensis Owner's Manual says about changing cambelts, and what are other owner's experiences of cost, difficulty of replacing etc. If the cambelt does go on the 1.8 pre VVTi engine is it catastrophic or does it just glide to an embarrassing stop? Are there any other points I need to look at in view of the low mileage for the year? Thanks

Don't know what the manual says, but its always a good idea to change this belt after your period of time.

If it does go, yes it is catastophic. The valves get desroyed and the pistons get destroyed ( very costly repairs )

Do all Avensis models have a timing chain rather that a belt? I have a 1.8 VVTi and there is no replacement milaeage listed, so I assume it has a chain............

The VVTi has a chain so doesn't need changing. The pre-VVTi has a belt and like all belts should be changed at a certain mileage or after a number of years if the car hasn't done the presecribed mileage by then. I would certainly get it changed after 5 or 6 years. If the car has done lots of short trips then the belt may be worn as starting the car does wear the belt. It will be expensive if it breaks.

Yep. The VVTi engines have chains rather than belts and are much more durable. Should last something like 100,000miles before needing change. If it does break it'll b*gger the engine up a treat though.

I have just bought a year 2000 1.8 GS Mk I Avensis (ie non VVTi) which has only done about 20,000 miles since June 2000, ie nearly six years. I have since realised some cars have their cambelts changed on a years basis not mileage, eg 5 or 6 years. I don't have access to the owners manual yet, can anyone tell me what the Avensis Owner's Manual says about changing cambelts, and what are other owner's experiences of cost, difficulty of replacing etc. If the cambelt does go on the 1.8 pre VVTi engine is it catastrophic or does it just glide to an embarrassing stop? Are there any other points I need to look at in view of the low mileage for the year? Thanks

I think the 1.8 non-Vvti has the same engine as my old Celica - the 7AFE In which case I think the cam belt change was 5 years \ 56,000miles. - Check the user manual to confirm this But if you are unsure I would jsut get it done - it cost me about £120 at a local garage.

They recommend a change every 5 years regardless of mileage as the belt will degrade over time whether you have done lots of miles or not. If the vehicle has a toyta service history the dealer should be able to tell you if your belt has been changed and when.

I think the motto here is better safe than......a buggered engine

The handbook says the timing belt should be changed every 60,000 miles. Not checked for an age requirement, but I would get it done anyway - it's cheap and you know the belt is good for another 60k

The 7AFE engine is a non-interference design, so the valves shouldn't be damaaged if the belt breaks :thumbsup: