Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Auto Wipers - Mad

GVS

I am new to this forum, but thought it was the best place for this question. Toyota main dealer says my wipers are fine.

On an 03 Avensis T4, we have a very fine automatic setting for intermittent windscreen wiping on the front. On my last car, this was one of the most handiest gadgets on it. On my avensis, its driving me nutts.

Problem, the variation control to set how often the wipers run depending on the number of rain drops in detection are to action a wipe does not seem to make any differnce. During light rain, the wipers wipe once, then stop - good. Then they do it again, then start continuous wiping, even when their is not much rain at all. They continue a long time after their is very little rain drops on the windscreen and I have to eventually switch em off to stop them scraping glass of the window.

When it is actually raining, the wipers go nutts and go to fast speed when, yes we need wipers, but its not that bad.

Has anyone else got this, heard of this or got any clues about this????

As I say, main dealer said his typota takes a minute of two to switch off!!! Does not sound right to me and quite unuseable to be honest.

G

Happens to me-windscreen can be covered in rain and I'm just about to turn the wiper on myself when it wipes-then keeps going for ages, well after the screen is clear.

I would say though that 80% of the time they work fine. I find night time is when they are slower to react-does the sensor work off light refracted through rain maybe? Be interesting to know how they work!

I have the same problem. I too find that they work as expected most of the time so I am not to bothered.

The sensor work from infrared light and a light sensor. As raindrops form on the screen, the IR light gets difracted and the sensor senses less reflected light and starts the wiper.

There is one thing I've noticed on mine (Avensis Saloon 2005):

When windshield is perfectly clean and rain starts, it works 100% (on automatic). With screen dirty (dead insects) it has some problems as stated in other posts. One more thing is that when rain starts, auto-wipe wouldn't start that easily. I have to turn the wipers on manualy and then put it back on automatic. I've checked in manuals and it says that it's the way things should be.

By the way, as soon as got the car from the dealer I've changed windshield wipers to 650mm+480mm (Valeo) - it would be 26'+19'. They clean much bigger area on the top and don't leave that area uncleaned in the bottom in the middle.

Where is the sensor on the windscreen?

Cos' I was thinking that if the sensor was stuck in a corner or in a place that doesn't get wiped with the wipers then its going to think that its still raining even when the screen's been wiped clean, and it will only shut off the wipers when the wind from driving the car, basically, dries the spot directly in front of the sensor.

Sensor is behind rear view mirror.

It was only a thought, remember. But with the position of the sensor, its not getting wiped, is it? :dontgetit:

Sensor is behind rear view mirror.

It was only a thought, remember. But with the position of the sensor, its not getting wiped, is it? :dontgetit:

It does get wiped-sensor is a good few cm's down from the top of the windscreen. Have s shufty next time your out washing the car-its a black area which is wiped by about the last inch or so of the wiper blade as it travels across the windscreen.

Ah well, that's that idea crashed and burned!

I don't actually have one of these new fangled devices on my car--------I still have a good, old-fashioned switch on a stalk!

I don't actually have one of these new fangled devices on my car--------I still have a good, old-fashioned switch on a stalk!

:D ooo how arcane! twiddling with stalks - so last century ;)

When it works (which in my case is most of the time) this is a fab feature! :thumbsup:

Just like the autodim rear-view - how did I live without that for so long!!! :blink:

I'm still waiting for cruse control that does that - punch in your destination then nod off! :blink:

I have same problem on my Corolla T Sport... :(

:D ooo how arcane! twiddling with stalks - so last century ;)

When it works (which in my case is most of the time) this is a fab feature! :thumbsup:

Just like the autodim rear-view - how did I live without that for so long!!! :blink:

I'm still waiting for cruse control that does that - punch in your destination then nod off! :blink:

Hrummmmph! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed (receipts) that some time in the past the windscreen was replaced due to a bad stone chip. I am wondering if it was replaced with the correct part, as it definately is unuseable in its current form. The wipers just come on when their is a few drops on the window. Seems to get worse as speed increses too.

If you do not like the rain sensor turn it off. I turn mine on and off as it suits the conditions. I cannot see the problems. I think it is a good idea.

If you do not like the rain sensor turn it off. I turn mine on and off as it suits the conditions. I cannot see the problems. I think it is a good idea.

Now I am showing my ignorance.... You can turn it off ?????

Do not get me wrong, I had a rain sensor in my last car, a Citroen Xantia 2.1TD sx and it worked very very well. I loved it and was one of the reason for looking for a car that had one - nice feature instead of moving stupid little dials to get the right intermitent speed.

I just get the feeling from posts to this board that my one might be faulty as it just does not seem to like intermittent. It starts intermittent for about 3 sweeps, them moves straight onto wiping continuously.

I will call the garage again I think...

G

And if you bring sensitivity to minimum, does it get any better? Mine is on maximum and just rarely I put it down one degree. Just once I had to go down two degrees and it still had three degrees (I guess) to go down.

And if you bring sensitivity to minimum, does it get any better? Mine is on maximum and just rarely I put it down one degree. Just once I had to go down two degrees and it still had three degrees (I guess) to go down.

The setting is on Minimum. Moving it just makes it worse.

I called garage again and are going in to check it over as it appears mine is duff. IN the service records, a new windscreen was fitted a few months ago and need the Toyota guys to check its the correct type.

The way its acting just now, I rarely use it......

G

You can turn the sensor OFF. You have to if you use a car wash. It shows how to do it in the manual.

• 2 years later...

i have the same problem with an 2006 T25 Avensis but they installed a car-kit and they put the mic on the sensor and also the antenna from the car alarm is fixed there.

i'm gonna remove them this week. i'll let you know if it will work properly

(anyway can you tell me the standard size of the windshiled wipes?)

• 8 months later...

I am new to this forum, but thought it was the best place for this question. Toyota main dealer says my wipers are fine.

On an 03 Avensis T4, we have a very fine automatic setting for intermittent windscreen wiping on the front. On my last car, this was one of the most handiest gadgets on it. On my avensis, its driving me nutts.

Problem, the variation control to set how often the wipers run depending on the number of rain drops in detection are to action a wipe does not seem to make any differnce. During light rain, the wipers wipe once, then stop - good. Then they do it again, then start continuous wiping, even when their is not much rain at all. They continue a long time after their is very little rain drops on the windscreen and I have to eventually switch em off to stop them scraping glass of the window.

When it is actually raining, the wipers go nutts and go to fast speed when, yes we need wipers, but its not that bad.

Has anyone else got this, heard of this or got any clues about this????

As I say, main dealer said his typota takes a minute of two to switch off!!! Does not sound right to me and quite unuseable to be honest.

I have a 2003 Avensis T4 and have exactly the same issues, uncanny, I have located the sensor and removed the electrical feed cabel then re connected it (hard reset) see if it would work (NO) so went for a remove completley which is straight forward, except the lense has a silicon gell coating accross it which may have broken down causing the IR light to be miss read. Anyway without the gell coating accross the lense it will no doubt fail to work completley. Will contact mr T on monday and see if they will shed any light on it (Not IR light) u understand) ]

Hi.

I've had this problem on my first Avensis so I bought new top quality Wiper Blades but that made no difference so I bought a set from Mr T. and the problem was solved. This also worked on my current Avensis.

Although geniuine blades are a bit dearer they did the trick for me.

David Dey