• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaxx

• Bibbs

• GIDDLEPIN

• Fidgits

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing i'm getting at is, if you take away the planes forward motion by the use of friction (doesn't matter what the surface is or whether there is a conveyor belt involved :) ), how is it going to get the air movement across the wings to be able to take off?

Each of the engines on a 747 produces about 50000lbs of thrust. There is absolutely no way you are going to be able to oppose that by friction of a rotating wheel on a conveyor belt :lol:

Paul.

The only thing i'm getting at is, if you take away the planes forward motion by the use of friction (doesn't matter what the surface is or whether there is a conveyor belt involved :) ), how is it going to get the air movement across the wings to be able to take off?

Each of the engines on a 747 produces about 50000lbs of thrust. There is absolutely no way you are going to be able to oppose that by friction of a rotating wheel on a conveyor belt :lol:

Paul.

Once the bearings sieze up it should create a tad more friction :thumbsup:

... and if you have an inflated balloon on a string (so filled with helium) in a car and you accelerate, the balloon will move forwards!

Unless of course you have a hairdressermobile :D

Paul.

Paul.

well, the common method for stopping a 747 and all that thrust in its tracks is the holidaymaker, that after arriving late at the airport, spending an hour queing for security, still think they have time to do some duty free shopping..

works every time <_<

stupid_plane.jpg

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

But yes indeed, the plane would take off as normal. Les got it spot on right at the start, which was rather boring :)

All the conveyor does is make the planes wheels spin faster (ok so in the real world the tyres might let go etc, but who has a giant conveyor belt with planes on it anyway? :P )

One of the other forums that had this Q, someone posted the pic too :)

There is a correct answer :) and it's already been given (not surprising as people have said both yes and no!) can't deny its intended to get people to think though and normally causes quite a discussion ;)

Maybe I should say the conveyor belt immediately matches the indicated groundspeed of the plane, that removes any kind of bizarre chicken / egg type scenario I think.

The plane is powered, by conventional jet or propellor means.

if it's still powered through the jets, wouldn't it just go off the conveyor belt anyway, since it isn't being propelled through the wheels, but through the jet engines then the conveyor shouldn't be able to match the planes speed, and the plane would go off the conveyor belt, go forward, and when it gets enough speed, lift off :)

so yes, it would lift off :P

There is a correct answer :) and it's already been given (not surprising as people have said both yes and no!) can't deny its intended to get people to think though and normally causes quite a discussion ;)

Maybe I should say the conveyor belt immediately matches the indicated groundspeed of the plane, that removes any kind of bizarre chicken / egg type scenario I think.

The plane is powered, by conventional jet or propellor means.

if it's still powered through the jets, wouldn't it just go off the conveyor belt anyway, since it isn't being propelled through the wheels, but through the jet engines then the conveyor shouldn't be able to match the planes speed, and the plane would go off the conveyor belt, go forward, and when it gets enough speed, lift off :)

so yes, it would lift off :P

Should have read all the posts Mathias :P Boring old me got it in one of the first posts (sorry Dave :rolleyes: ) :lol::lol:

a car is on a rolling road doing 120mph. it has a big spoiler on the boot, but as the car is not moving the spoiler does not create down force.... so, no the plane would not take off cuz its not moving either! :thumbsup:

a car is on a rolling road doing 120mph. it has a big spoiler on the boot, but as the car is not moving the spoiler does not create down force.... so, no the plane would not take off cuz its not moving either! :thumbsup:

But as I've said earlier .. the plane is NOT powered through the wheels.

The force is pushing the air :)

yeah but, no but, yeah but , no but.....

IT WONT TAKE OFF..... :lol2:

What a %$(ing stupid thread!!!!!!

I can't beleive some of the thigns I have read here!!!!!!

Ok then, just to throw a spanner in the works... How do you think a helicopter would react (no wheels) in the same situation ;)

THat R/C Jet is very cool indeed!!!!!!

Bets its not quiet!!!!

Ok then, just to throw a spanner in the works... How do you think a helicopter would react (no wheels) in the same situation

Ummmm helicopters take off vertically and not horizontaly and don't rely on large wings and bigger engines to get them off the ground!!!

a plane crashes over spain and portugal and lands exactly on the border, with the front half of the plane in spain and the rear in portugal.

families get involved as do the EU about reclaiming the bodies and a legal battle ensues.

q: which country should the survivors be buried in? :rolleyes:

You don't bury survivors .. unless you are weird like that ..

What a %$(ing stupid thread!!!!!!

I can't beleive some of the thigns I have read here!!!!!!

Ok then, just to throw a spanner in the works... How do you think a helicopter would react (no wheels) in the same situation ;)

THat R/C Jet is very cool indeed!!!!!!

Bets its not quiet!!!!

should see the video :D

• 1 year later...
a bit late... but here it is from Mythbusters...

It's a little bit scary that the pilot thought the plane wouldn't take off.

The only difference the conveyor makes is that the plane's wheels spin faster; which as far as I know doesn't make much difference to the air flow over the wings.