Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Issue

EdScib

Hi all,

I have had an Aygo+ in Satin Silver for the last three weeks and have been thoroughly impressed. Driveability is very good and the economy is very welcome. However there is this one thing which has been bothering me. The gearbox does not allow me to downshift to a lower gear, e.g. while managing a bend in 3rd gear, it is impossible to engage 2nd gear to slow down by engine brake. Is this some sort of protection for the gearbox, and so do all Aygos do this? It isn't really problematic, since I just have to use the brakes more, but I just wanted to know whether there is anything amiss with my gearbox.

Cheers

Yep!!

Shouldn't be like that.

Downshift braking is much safer too... especially this time of year.

My gears slip in and out both directions very easily. Are you putting the clutch right to the bottom?

They should fix that for you at the dealers.

Hope thay sort it out quickly for you.... let us know... ok?

Cheers,

Raggy :)

OK found what was the problem...me! It seems the way I was handling the gear I wasn't finding the gates correctly! Should be solved now.

On another note, I would like to comment on consumption. I have filled her up two weeks ago, and have since covered some 300miles, and the fuel gauge still shows half the tank full. I am a bit wary of this however, since I spent a whole week on my 6th bar, with the 5th and 4th bars disappearing quickly within a week. More accurate info when I fill up (hopefully not so soon!).

• 2 weeks later...

OK found what was the problem...me! It seems the way I was handling the gear I wasn't finding the gates correctly! Should be solved now.

On another note, I would like to comment on consumption. I have filled her up two weeks ago, and have since covered some 300miles, and the fuel gauge still shows half the tank full. I am a bit wary of this however, since I spent a whole week on my 6th bar, with the 5th and 4th bars disappearing quickly within a week. More accurate info when I fill up (hopefully not so soon!).

Hi ed i got mine 2 weeks ago and it did 360miles on full tank maybe engine was still a bit stiff :P

gearbox is not one of the best items as the gears are too wide! 30m in 1st 60mph in 2nd , 80 in 3rd!!! whats top speed at the revlimiter in 5th then 120mph????? :eek:

The first 2000km the aygo uses more fuel. After that it will takes less fuel for the same amount of kilometers.

Hi ed i got mine 2 weeks ago and it did 360miles on full tank maybe engine was still a bit stiff :P

gearbox is not one of the best items as the gears are too wide! 30m in 1st 60mph in 2nd , 80 in 3rd!!! whats top speed at the revlimiter in 5th then 120mph????? :eek:

I've nudged 100mph on a slight downhill while trying to keep a BMW 5-series behind me :D

I am experiencing the same problems downshifting to 2nd and 1st, mainly when it's running cold.

I've nudged 100mph on a slight downhill while trying to keep a BMW 5-series behind me :D

I am experiencing the same problems downshifting to 2nd and 1st, mainly when it's running cold.

No problem whatsoever with gear shifting, on the contrary, as smooth as a hot knife slicing butter as we say here in Holland and I like the ratios as well.

About the mileage, I filled up twice now and by pure coincidence both the distance and the fuel were the same : 31.13 ltr for 535 km, hence : 17.2 km/ltr or 5.8 ltr/100km. Average temperature approximately 5deg C. I expect lower fuel consumption in summer when temperatures rise as every 10 deg C temperature increase is equivalent to an aerodynamic drag decrement of 3%, which is clearly noticeable. :nerd:

On the other hand, after 1200 km on the odometer, my right feet is getting fiercer - :driving: not good for the mileage! :crybaby:

Reliable fuel consumption figures can only be obtained by recording everytime you fill up. Then averaging over say 5 samples gives reliable results. So don't try to analyse your mileage by looking at the fuel gauge!

Cheers :cheers:

Djoezz

come on someone must have tried it on the motorway! i did 95mph on a flat strech and i had just changed from 3rd to 4th at 85mph so as you have motorways (none here ) you should try what speed it could go up to!

no problem shifting down on mine either so there should be a problem there!

I've had 110 down hill but in fifth is doesn't get close to the limiter. The limiter kicks in just past 6500 rpm. About 85mph in 3rd. The top speed is easily obtained in 4th, 5th is only any good for cruising. You have to be brave to get on the limiter as it makes one hell of a noise. Especially when you've stripped out the interior!!! Note the Avtar is my car on a circuit.

I've had 110 down hill but in fifth is doesn't get close to the limiter. The limiter kicks in just past 6500 rpm. About 85mph in 3rd. The top speed is easily obtained in 4th, 5th is only any good for cruising. You have to be brave to get on the limiter as it makes one hell of a noise. Especially when you've stripped out the interior!!! Note the Avtar is my car on a circuit.

soooo you have been in the circuit already with it :o thats nice! i have killed some cars on the road , a coupe 2ltr around a twisty road! he even lost it around a corner :eek: and the aygo was stuck to the road like its on rails!(it could go round corners @ 110kph ) :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links