Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Tyre PSI ?

SOD

Does anyone know what the actual PSi is for the Aygo tyres?

My manual says 32, but I'm sure its not that high - I checked the tyres on mine and they were in the 23PSi region.

I'll assume they are the correct settings but my performance and fuel consumption are not affected so I'll assume thats right?

PSi? help me out here?

I guess that if the manual tells 32 then it's 32... :thumbsup: ;)

• Like 1

You will also find the tyre pressures listed on a sticker on the door pillar on the passenger side of the car.

• Like 3

AFAIK 32 PSI (pounds per square inch) all round is correct for travelling under 100 mph on 155/65/14

• Like 2

This is quite worrying - when I checked my tyre PSI yesterday, they were all 26 PSI! :eek:

Yet I have been getting about 65mpg, including A and B road driving, with no problems in handling, comfort etc. Not been driving with a heavy foot only went to 80mph max on the motorway.

I topped all the tyres to 32PSI so this should be interesting - I cant believe toyota would have made such an error??

Just wondering if any other Aygo owners have checked their tyre PSI since they picked their car?

• 11 years later...

Ill check my tyres tonight after reading this..tyre psi is important ive read..

91C5EAF7-8475-4739-ABB1-2EFC5122CBFD.JPG

Crikey, talk about reviving old threads lol. Run mine at 33psi, checked once a week, along with oil, coolant etc...

I check my mine every time I put fuel in 

• Like 1

I don't check mine all the time. But every time I check them I fill up to about 32psi.

The rear ones go to about 19psi but then stay at 19psi for ages. The front ones usually drop to 25.

I've had several different makes of tyre on the rear, and they always go down to 19psi, except once when I had a slow puncture and it got to 11psi.

I'm with Jo ( @Bitch1001 ) on this one as I check my tyre pressures every time I fill up and also when I wash the car with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VZ8S26/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As it states 32 psi (all round) in the handbook and on the passenger door pillar, that's what I put in.

I hope that helps. :smile:

• Like 1

I've been using 34 psi for the last 6 years as that was the forum (or was it a different forum?) reckoning for the best handling/economy compromise.

As an experiment I've been running 38 psi for the past month or so

No noticeable difference with economy but the car is now very fidgety at 70mph.   Will be going back to 34 at the weekend.

I also use the same pressure gauge as Agent Orange along with a single barrel Halfords foot pump with gauge.

Its gauge is surprisingly accurate when compared with the RaceX one

• Like 3

@Micra2Aygo

Hi David, yes I like the little RaceX gauge and it seems accurate, I got it to back up the readings of the compressor pump that I had previously bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H6CZXYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I admit that I do like a good, foot pump but I bought that one as it fits perfectly, in it's case, in that little indentation/space down on the floor between the drivers seat and the door so it doesn't slide about. The readings are, maybe, a tad "iffy" (Well, I'm not 100% sure of them :wink:) but the RaceX gauge helps and seems to agree with the Petrol Station readings, when I check the pressures there.  To be honest at just over £20 for the pair it's not so bad when a lot of Petrol Stations are charging 50p a go to use the air line....If they actually have one! :ohmy:

I find that anything over 32 psi makes the Aygo twitchy at speed but I haven't fitted those all season tyres yet, I might up it to 34 when I do...Thanks again for your help and advise on those, by the way.

All the best. :smile:

• 5 years later...

It's an old topic, but I have found it useful to find out the correct tyre pressure for my 2009 Aygo+. For some reason Toyota always seem to set the pressure well below the recommended level. After an annual service (Sep 2022), all tyres are about 28psi. I have now set them all to 32psi. I have noticed Toyota always do this. I have no idea why. Perhaps newer Aygo models use a lower psi. Not sure.

Could it be down to different accuracies of the tyre pressure gauges (ie yours and the dealers)? 

• Like 2

You can instruct them not to change the tyre pressures; I sometimes got this with mine and I suspect they're not letting it cool down so if they get to my car quickly, they're seeing the elevated temps from me driving to them, and then reducing it to spec, but when the tyres cool down it obviously drops.

Since I started using higher pressures to try and improve my mpg and even out the tread wear*, I'd just tell them to add a note to the service docket to not touch the tyre pressures**

* At spec pressures, my diesel Yarisusessirees would wear the shoulders much more than the centre, but bumping it up fixed that so I think the spec pressures were just generic petrol pressures and didn't take into account the much heavier diesel engine. Given how sagged the tyres looked at stock pressure compared to the higher pressure, I think it helped extend tyre life too!

** One of a list of things, including not taking my mats out and putting them in the boot or messing with the seat settings, and giving me the Battery for the remote, as I've caught them not changing them in the past. They don't always read these instructions tho'...

I don’t think any dealer will do tyres pressure check and adjust or if they do they never set them correctly, even when I buy new set of tyres all 4 corners comes with different pressures and all over.  Best to have a quality tyre pressure gauge and a compressor and do them yourself at home on cold before start driving the car. 

• Like 2

Cyker I wonder * if there is a good visual way of judging tyre pressure effect? 

Driving slowly over firm wet sand and measuring tread depth perhaps. 

When put 2 new rear tyres on our Astra last year, checked pressures when got home and they were lower than the fronts, so had pump them back up, think they just used a 'generic' pressure setting of 30ish psi.

• Like 2

Plus tyre fitters gauges aren’t very accurate. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Plus tyre fitters gauges aren’t very accurate. 

And therein lies the rub. How accurate is any gauge? 

You could:

Drive to a filling station, check TPMS readings, check pressures using your gauge, check pressures using their gauge. 

Drive to another filling station, rinse and repeat. 

Different garages have different displays, the analogue display on a post and a hand held hose and trigger.  Others with the gauge on the trigger.  One I liked was a large portable gauge where you set the desired pressure, hose to tyre and switched on with auto switch off.  How accurate are these different types? 

Somewhere I have one of those pen-style gauges, simply press the  cylinder in, push on the valve, read the pressure. How accurate? 

Now I have a compressor with a digital display. How accurate? 

• Like 3

In the latest Auto Express tyre pressure gauge test the supposed best gauges were 0.5psi to 0.8psi adrift at around 25-30psi. So if these were the best, how far adrift would others be?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

And therein lies the rub. How accurate is any gauge? 

You could:

Drive to a filling station, check TPMS readings, check pressures using your gauge, check pressures using their gauge. 

Drive to another filling station, rinse and repeat. 

Different garages have different displays, the analogue display on a post and a hand held hose and trigger.  Others with the gauge on the trigger.  One I liked was a large portable gauge where you set the desired pressure, hose to tyre and switched on with auto switch off.  How accurate are these different types? 

Somewhere I have one of those pen-style gauges, simply press the  cylinder in, push on the valve, read the pressure. How accurate? 

Now I have a compressor with a digital display. How accurate? 

Well, a little difference it’s ok I guess and we should allow for that but for example when I found mixed like that 2.33 bar 2.19bar 2.43bar and 2.16bar for example after new tyres fitted its a way inaccurate and very different.
I know about tyre fitters as they don’t use precise gauges but those build in their high pressure hose that fill up the tyres and those are often not calibrated correctly or simply too old and worn or difficult to read. How I know that, from my trusty friend who has taken care of my cars for years in terms of wheel alignment and tyres. 🛞👌

• Like 2