Do Not Sell My Personal Information

300zx And Mr2 Turbo Rev3

zebidi

what do you think about these two cars down the quater mile? if both cars were standard?

on paper the 0-60 times of a 300 is always 6. something, while the MR2 turbo touches the 5s.

anyone ever gone against one down the strip?

Okay, the MR2 was either 5.7 (rev 1/2) or 5.2 (rev3+) and traction is good as all the weight is over the rear.

The 300 TT is a lot bigger but there are different models (4WD etc) .. most will launch slower and then catch them right back up.

It's like my modded rev2 MR2 and a Mk4 supra (Lee's UK one). I could always beat him on a 0-40 dash (point squirt). But the 3.0 TT just has SO much more grunt when they get moving.

Not likely to see many standard ones of either now, and then you are talking about "does Geff's car beat Brians?".

0-60 on a stock 300zx TT is about 5.5s but i agree with Ben over personal experiance - the 300's have major power mid range, not much can keep up with one on full takeoff.

1/4 miles seem to be about 14s in standard trim.

I haven't taken mine down the strip yet - although i was tempted to go to the pod yesterday to find out....

I think the main advantage over the Zed is the weight, 2+2 auto's are the heaviest of the bunch wighing in at just under 1600kg

J

That's the other thing, it's a bit harder to "launch" an auto, which a lot seem to be.

But after that, they can just keep the throttle burried into the carpet where on the MR2 you need to actually change gears yourself :D

Bahh... :lol:

one thing about auto's is that they allow you to hang on for dear life on full boost.

TBH i've never had trouble launching on my auto - it wants to go sideways at around 45mph but apart from that :lol:

Seeing mine snake up the road the other day was cool as hell - my mate was petrified when he got out - well - i warned him not to hit the scramble mode :lol::yes:

J

hee hee, the only issues I have with auto's is the left side of me gets bored .. and I don't like the car trying to drive itself (take your feet off the pedals and it goes foward? WTF?

I'm a fan of hand brake, clutch at biting point and holding the revs at 5k - then all hell breaking loose :lol:

But then I've only got a piddly 4 banger, an auto would kill any power I have :D

I must admit i agree with you to a point Ben - auto's are a lazy mans car.

thats why i'm debating a manwell conversion somewhere down the line.

J

A lad at work has a 6 speed .. I so want a go :D

I found driving Lee's Soup I had to bury my left foot hard into the carpet to stop using the brake as a "clutch" ..

6 speed 300 .. a 6 speed MR2 would be great. red lining in 5th is a pain.

Hmmm - be interested to find out which box it is - i'm tempted to try the 350z box.

but thats a long way off yet.

Anyway - back on lopic :lol:

in answer to your question zebidi - the mr2 will launch better but the grunt of the 300 will leave the MR2 standing.

J

in answer to your question zebidi - the mr2 will launch better but the grunt of the 300 will leave the MR2 standing.

J

oh crap...... better get my remap in then, his 300zx is a manual 5 with a decat. (decat is noticeable gains in a turbo car?)

oh, can i install a decat pipe and intercooler without a remap? (i mean replacement ecu)

will the standard ecu take these 2 mods into account?

TBH mate - don't have a clue as i've got the 300zx...

Ben (bibbs) is the man to speak to about mr2's.

Also - i've just see nyour just getting your Mr2..

ust some friendly advice mate - get used to the car before taking anything on, if the 2's are anything like the Zeds they're right buggers for catching you unawares....

J

J

oh crap...... better get my remap in then, his 300zx is a manual 5 with a decat. (decat is noticeable gains in a turbo car?)

oh, can i install a decat pipe and intercooler without a remap? (i mean replacement ecu)

will the standard ecu take these 2 mods into account?

yes to your question about th ede-cat and the intercooler. Should be a-ok mate without a remap. Obviously would benefit more from having a remap.

aye up Jim lad - hows your hunt coming on for a replacement to the tubby?

J

*Off topic*

Was all sorted until the guy couldn't get the money! DOH! ... never mind tho. Decided to keep it for now and tart it up a bit. :)

have you guys done the intercooler and decat yourselves? is it a hard job? i found a guide on the net but the intercooler needs taking loadsa stuff out.

is the decat a paint o get to also because of the location?

as for the decat.. wouldn't be too bad. Not done it myself, but I have an exaust which replaces the cat altoghter.

As for the intercooler.. not hard, just fiddly.

ust some friendly advice mate - get used to the car before taking anything on, if the 2's are anything like the Zeds they're right buggers for catching you unawares....

i can testify to unawares.... if turbo. i must admit, after getting mine and having driven a fair range of lower power non turbo cars very quickly i didnt take the whole corner, bad road, turbo kick seriously for a few weeks and then bam nearly wrapped up and nearly took a few cars with me. was very interesting in a really ' omg my bottom can react like that?' kind of way. first of a few close calls and those times i wasnt even pushing the car(so i thought, really the car was pushing me!).

good advice that about taking some care, esp this time of year

i can testify to unawares.... if turbo. i must admit, after getting mine and having driven a fair range of lower power non turbo cars very quickly i didnt take the whole corner, bad road, turbo kick seriously for a few weeks and then bam nearly wrapped up and nearly took a few cars with me. was very interesting in a really ' omg my bottom can react like that?' kind of way. first of a few close calls and those times i wasnt even pushing the car(so i thought, really the car was pushing me!).

good advice that about taking some care, esp this time of year

i also thought that and i been looking at traction control, but not untill autumn at least

don't bother with traction control or all that, this is my first car without any of the electrical safety shindigs and I have to say its more fun! yep I've had a few close calls, some very close :eek: but I am learning all the time with it and I'm not having some computer chip telling me what to do :P

just have to be sensible and drive within YOUR limits and dont think its invincible ;)

I'd agree with most, IF the MR2 had a spot on perfect launch then I'd like to think it would JUST win a quarter drag, bog the launch and once the zx gets to the top of 2nd into 3rd I'd expect to see it pulling past. I wouldn't take one on on the motorway though. In the twisty's I'd take the MR2 hands down though, the zx is just to heavy & whale like to match the nible MR2.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I'd agree with most, IF the MR2 had a spot on perfect launch then I'd like to think it would JUST win a quarter drag, bog the launch and once the zx gets to the top of 2nd into 3rd I'd expect to see it pulling past. I wouldn't take one on on the motorway though. In the twisty's I'd take the MR2 hands down though, the zx is just to heavy & whale like to match the nible MR2.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

and what modification would you need to whip some zx *****?