Do Not Sell My Personal Information

23 April 2006

daktari

Maybe people are just embarrassed to celebrate St Georges day.

St George, as well as being the patron Saint of England, is the patron Saint of Syphillis sufferers.

I`m not even going to ask how you found that out. :lol:

I honestly think thats a sign of loosing your national identity..... Why fly a BRITTISH flag when ENGLAND are playing.. for national identity purposes surely it should be the Cross of St. George?

Or because we don't want to be associated with footall scum come the world cup :thumbsup: To me the Country is more then a bunch of over paid poofters kicking a bag of air about, unfortunately to most it seems the George cross is only flown during international sporting events.....

Ah!, i see what you mean.. never thought of that association people might have with the St.Georges Cross.. but people wrongly associate the Union Flag with England (as opposed to Britain) and make the same asociation as they do with the Cross.. I just don't think its right for English fans (in any sport where it is England taking part) to fly the Brittish flag, it should be an English flag. Scotland,Nortern Ireland and Wales could all fly a Union Flag as we are all part of Britain, but we don't, we fly our own national flags respectively (reguardless what sporting event it is)

All the home Nations are different, and as such have a different identity, and its our job, as patriots of out respective countries, to be proud of our national identity.. and if our identity has someway been tarnished, then it is up to us to put it right.

I don't know about the other home nations, but in Scotland there is two "national" flags.. we have the Saltire (Cross of St. Andrew) and the Lion Rampant (which is a Scottish battle flag).. if the Cross of St. George has become associated with things that most people don't want anything to do with.. is there another alternative?.. and i don't mean the Union Flag as it is a Brittish flag.

Ireland - Irish dancers. Wales - Singers. Scotland - Bagpipes. England - Morris dancers. How many Irish, Welsh, or Scots laugh at their national heritage? We English do. We have spent so long trying to be American, and now we're trying to be European, that we managed to lose our identity along the way - that is what makes us such an easy mark for anyone in power wishing to steer a whole nation any way they feel. When we stop being so !Removed! apathetic, then we can start thinking of the English as a nation and - deep breath - welcome allcomers to our land because we are secure enough not to feel threatened!

I don't know about the other home nations, but in Scotland there is two "national" flags.. we have the Saltire (Cross of St. Andrew) and the Lion Rampant (which is a Scottish battle flag).. if the Cross of St. George has become associated with things that most people don't want anything to do with.. is there another alternative?.. and i don't mean the Union Flag as it is a Brittish flag.

There is no viable alternative to the cross of saint George. It`s the battle ensign of the Royal Navy, if that means anything nowadays. There is always the Royal Standard

UK-English%20Royal_sm.jpg

But again this, like the union flag is associated with Britain and not England.

The cross of St George with the three lions is too strongly associated with Football, :rolleyes: