Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Falling Out Of Love With The Yaris..?

Caz SR

I know not many people here will like this... but has anyone fallen out of 'love' with their Yaris?

I think I might be :crybaby:

There's no denying that the Yaris is a fantastic little car that does what it was designed to do very well... but.... I just think I've outgrown her :(

Gone are the days where I would panic if she had to be parked on the road (curtain twitching to make sure she was ok). I no longer obsess about keeping her spotless (last time she was washed, I paid a valetter at work to do it because the build up of rubbish made it hard to see). I bumped her going into a car park and I didn't shed a tear - I was hacked off, but if I had done that 6 months ago I would have felt as if I'd lost a limb. Another dent appears from a pillock opening the door onto her and I think 'ah well, another one for the collection'.

Is anyone here the same? Or are you as mad about the car as from day one? :unsure:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Demonic Angel

• Caz SR

• Gnome

• reece

Exactly how i feel, glad someone feels the same. Looking at sillycar or Lexus.

There's nowt wrong with it.

My car is just, well, a car!

It's hardly washed, gets thrashed about but maintained. Mine's got a ding in the rear panel still, from an unknown occurence when down in London, but it doesn't bother me at all.

For me, my car is a mode of transportation, so I don't dish out the love on it like say, my motorbike.

I'm not a huge car fan at all TBH, so can sympathise.

However, I do like my car in the sense that it's cheap to run, and is "useable." Although I'd like a 2 seater sports car, it wouldn't be very practical for me at all, so I'm still happy I have my car.

I love my little car....has something to do with passing in jan tho i think and first car and stuffs!

Darren got bored with his and he did fall out of love with it :(

I think it happens with all cars as people get older :!Removed!:

Same here, I’m looking at trading the T-Sport for the Aygo Sport.

Group 1 insurance, band A road tax and double my miles to the gallon with similar safety to the Yaris.

:thumbsup:

I still care for and clean it regularly but, not the way it used to be.

I think it happens to evryone

i give cars 2 years tops , then they gotta go.

I'll tend to agree with that actually... I'm worried if I keep it any longer, I'll stop caring for it as much and that's not good! But I still don't want to sell up. Weird huh?

I'm finding that although it gets me from A to B with no real problems whatsoever, I'm starting to nit pick on things... like handling, lack of power etc...

This is starting to get scary, are you 24, called justin and live in my house to? :lol:

Sounds kind-of normal tbh...

I had a period of "out" there where it seemed underpowered, noisy, the brakes were playing up and I just thought "I wish I could change it".

Since then I've made a couple of little changes and I'm back to looking out the window and checking its still in one piece and stuff... That said, at the time I was pretty worried (new job, selling house, etc) and thinking of other things.

I have to keep it about another year though, to try and get the mileage back down within "normal people" bounds for resale value. (He says whilst trying to work out the best routh from Glasgow to N'castle and back ;))

Sounds like its time to sell tbh...

A

PS My Dad does exactly the same as you - 18 months of "treasured", "6 months of hmmm" then 3 months of moaning as he tried to find something new...

I used to have a 1 litre fiesta that i got for my first car when i passed in 1992. I had that car for about 6/7 years and for some reason i still romanticise regarding that car. It wasnt anything special at all though it was quick for what it was. Even now i sometimes find myself wistfully reminiscing about her, many a good time was had in her. The end for her was something really nice... at the point where i didnt get any buzz at all i decided to sell her as it seemed like the time to move on(by this point shed had an entire interior upgrade from at that point a current model fiesta and a brand new engine) ...she was sold to a young girl that had just passed her test. She was overjoyed to have her first car... and last report was the car was still rumbling around upto 4 years ago.

I moved onto bigger cars with bigger engines then down to bigger cars with smaller engines and generally didnt enjoy anything quite as much as that little fiesta.... though the volvo 440 was kinda neat. Then the Mr2 came along.... and its revised everything i can love about cars. Ive paid a fortune so far in just getting this car close to good condition mechanically ... i dont miss a single pound, and the love affair im having with the 2 makes the thing with the fiesta seem like it was just a crush.

Im not advertising the Mr2 as such, im saying that change can be a good thing even if its not quite a smooth transition. I know that feeling your having Caz. Have you asked yourself what you want from your car that its not providing?

This is starting to get scary, are you 24, called justin and live in my house to? :lol:

:eek: and you drive an SR!! :laughing:

Jinxed - There is a little story behind how I got my car too. In summary I saw it around where I lived for two years and fell for it... owned by a lovely Chinese girl who lived in the flat above me, she filled it with Hello Kittys & Mashimaros (as a tribute, I still have a Hello Kitty and Mashimaro in my car to this day). I wanted it - if there was such a thing as a car stalker, I was it...

Then, one Summer day I decided enough was enough with the Corsa (my first car) and looked in Autotrader for it's replacement... what did I know? That very car was in there!! I phoned her up right away, found out the ad had been placed minutes before my call and picked the car up days later... the little Yaris was mine :wub:

But alas, after years of jokes about owning a car that rhymes with my real name (I think it's cool BTW so there! :P ) that special feeling's gone... Hello Kitty looks longingly out of the window, not with a cheeky wink as once was... but with a sad look on her face, longing for the next car...

*disclaimer: I would like to assert I am in fact not male, or called Justin... and just a shade above 24 in fact... and I'm not on drugs hehe

i go thru phases like this. tbh i was like this last week, but then i just pick out one thing i like and the love seems to come back. plus when i loose the love as they say i start thinkin about the amount of money i have spent in it. and just think it is a waist if i get rid. a damn good clean and polish usually does it for me :P

Same here, I’m looking at trading the T-Sport for the Aygo Sport.

Group 1 insurance, band A road tax and double my miles to the gallon with similar safety to the Yaris.

:thumbsup:

Same here ...... motoring is going to get more and more expensive :(

Save money now = Getting a better car in the future

Problem is that im still paying for the yaris :rolleyes:

I'm about as mad for my car as I've always been, which isn't that much because I never fell in love with it in the 1st place, no matter how hard I try I just can't see it as anything more than an extremely useful invention that gets me to places quickly. I think the fact that I left some paintwork on a wall less than a week after buying the car didn't help matters.

Tbh though, I think it's the best way, in this world there's always some1 ready to damage it on purpose so if some1 does if you're not as attached it wont hurt as much. I understand the feeling of outgrowing it a bit as well, I'm feeling the same but the only car I've ever really liked that I can realistically buy is a Yaris so I'll probably go down the TS route some time in the future.

oh and when i start gettin itchy feet about it. i look at the alternatives which i could get. and i cant find one. i was tempted with an MR2 last week but then i decided i dont want an older car. but i have been tempted getting a second car. but not till i get a better paid job :P

oh and when i start gettin itchy feet about it. i look at the alternatives which i could get. and i cant find one. i was tempted with an MR2 last week but then i decided i dont want an older car. but i have been tempted getting a second car. but not till i get a better paid job :P

Ditto. I'm glad it's still under warranty.

In fact, I've had thoughts of "Good Lord!" about when it's out of warranty, but the Toyota build quality should see it through.

I can totally agree with this although there are some differences...

I do love my car to bits, I do stare out the window at it, but there is a feeling thats gone. A couple of months ago I was adamant about a Mk2 Yaris. That feeling has changed now - not because I no longer like the Mk2 Yaris, thats not the case, I just feel that I need something more in my life than a 1.3!

I have been looking about for a little while and there are so many good cars out there, some might say, better than the Yaris. Lets face it, its not the class leader it once was, and Toyota are shooting themselves in the foot with their new "family-friendly" policies. I dont even think I'd buy a T-Sport now (if they are ever released!), my interest has totally waned and I'm looking to get my kicks elsewhere. I'm actually going to Seat tomorrow to look at the new Leon, which I think is a stunning car and no matter what model I get, the range starts at a 1.6, 101bhp, so I feel as though I'm taking a step-up rather than a step-down.

My issue is, like most people, I'm still paying for my Yaris and I probably will continue to do so for a while, I dont plan on selling immediately, it wouldnt make sense to trade in after only a year, at least wait til the finance breaks even with what the car is worth, because whats the point in wasting money like that by trading in when I dont need to?? My Yaris is adequate enough, but I'm looking long term at something larger and more powerful. So I reckon, give it a year or so and I'll be trading in. Its quite sad really, as I have always had a connection to both my Yaris'. Karis I've always rated with saving my skin and Kaori for just being a great car, thats given me no problems whatsoever and I'll always speak fondly of both of them and would highly recommend them to anyone.

I just need something more in my life. Whether thats a Leon or something else... who knows, but it wont be a Yaris. Although may stick with Toyota, but the only model that I'd consider is the Gen 7 Celica right now, unless Toyota pull out a good looking new Corolla. Its not bad looking by any means, we had one, but they're not as good looking as the new Leon or the new Golf for that matter. To be honest, I think I'm turning into a VAG convert, as I love the Leon and the Golf (although I'd not buy a Golf I dont think), and also the Audi A3.

But I am currently looking, which is a bad sign! Especially as 3 months ago, I would never consider leaving Toyota, I dont like the way they are getting rid of the sportier models, you're alienating a target audience - not everyone wants to drive 1.3's and I plan on showing my discontent with my feet if I have to! ;)

me too, got bored of the yaris even though i was going to 'keep it forever' 2 years later... lost interest

im in that boat with the MR2 now, its the best thing since sliced bread, but i dare bet ill be car hunting by this time next year :P may even be supra/skyline/rx7 hunting by june ish....

Rob, I'll let you drive the s2000 at JAE .. then I'll give it 6 months ..

That's just great! I write this thread and ROB gets the offer of driving your car <_<

:lol:

That's just great! I write this thread and ROB gets the offer of driving your car <_<

:lol:

It's too girly for girls ;)

aww no not again! :lol: last time it cost me a few grand in a new car

your on.......

and Caz - - - > :P to you!

it is natural to get bored, tbh-the yaris held my attention for about 1 month when i got it. i still like it, its fun but im always thinking about a 2nd car. ill have the yaris for years and change a sporty car every 2 years like mentioned.

only 1 year until i get a gt4 205.

I went through a similar phase a few months back with this Yaris, thought I could get more for my money and even did facts/figures and Insurance quotes on cars like the VW Golf etc just to get prices..an 05 Plate VW Golf 1.4, cant remember what trim model worked out to just over £500 yet the Yaris costs £650 ish for a smaller engine, older reg and smaller car!

But then I remembered the good points - there are hardly any of them around here so they are "different", I like the cheeky looks and now it has over 10K on the clock it feels a lot looser and nippier. I do still look out the window at it, try to park in empty area's of the car park to avoid dings & have gone back to BP 95Ron petrol as it runs better on it so I think the love is still very much there. I also have something else very special to thank the Yaris for too (:wub:).

If you've felt this way for a while Caz then I would consider parting with her, you only get one life and might aswell enjoy it! If you've got the funds then go for it I say. I know I won't stay with a 1.3 engine forever as I do (and did today driving to Lakeside) wish for more power under the accelerator but for now I'm perfectly content.