Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Pads

MPace

Can anyone tell me how long they took to wear down a set of stock brake pads? As i have had my car for a short while and i am fearing they are starting to go. P.S. They were beded in well. Also what brake pads do you think are the best on the 1.4 corolla 05. Thanks

Can anyone tell me how long they took to wear down a set of stock brake pads? As i have had my car for a short while and i am fearing they are starting to go. P.S. They were beded in well. Also what brake pads do you think are the best on the 1.4 corolla 05. Thanks

Think a set they normally last couple of years, best way to tell is pop wheel off and have look, just take wheel off (as if you a had puncture needed to change wheel) and look at the brake calliper normally has small hole in or can see pads from most angles, looks like got less than 3mm left then you probably got few months left and if only a little left get checked and new pads if required, new pads about 10mm (1cm) thick as gauge of how worn.

Or alternatively take to Kwik Fit, F1 or similar outlet most offer free brake checks but rather check my self not saying I don't trust them just I’d rather have look myself more confident that way.

Stock pads are pretty good for most use, the only time I needed something better was on a track day as stock pads used to fade after 10-15 minutes due to heat produced, I use EBC green stuff pads as slightly high heat capability but twice the price of standard pads depends on what do with car and what your willing to pay and up-rated pads tend to wear quicker.

Regards

Phil.

Think a set they normally last couple of years, best way to tell is pop wheel off and have look, just take wheel off (as if you a had puncture needed to change wheel) and look at the brake calliper normally has small hole in or can see pads from most angles, looks like got less than 3mm left then you probably got few months left and if only a little left get checked and new pads if required, new pads about 10mm (1cm) thick as gauge of how worn.

Or alternatively take to Kwik Fit, F1 or similar outlet most offer free brake checks but rather check my self not saying I don't trust them just I’d rather have look myself more confident that way.

Stock pads are pretty good for most use, the only time I needed something better was on a track day as stock pads used to fade after 10-15 minutes due to heat produced, I use EBC green stuff pads as slightly high heat capability but twice the price of standard pads depends on what do with car and what your willing to pay and up-rated pads tend to wear quicker.

Regards

Phil.

The fronts tend to have squeallers on them, they'll make a horrid noise when they need changing. I've put BluePrint pads front and rear, they seem ok. And seem to create very little dust compared to the stock ones.

Removed a tyre to check wear of brakepads revielled more worrying probelms. The main centre rod is heavily rusted (pieces of metal can be scene flaked off) pads seem fine though so the whining noise is not from them. Also very worrying is that when replacing a tyre one of the securing bolts snapped as i was tightening it. This is very worrying as i was not using anypower toold just my hands so there must have been a fault in one of them. It going to toyota tom. Any ideas of where the noise comes from to tell them what to check for.

Also they said it is still safe to drive on 3 bolts though i not feeling safe in my new car really disapionted :'(

An 05 car shouldn't be rusty yet, would definitely get reason from Toyotas as how it can go rusty so quick?

As for bolt snapping that never happened to me and I used to jump up and down on the spanner to make sure bolts done up tight, now I own 18 inch torque wrench for tightening and undoing wheel nuts. Should be ok on 3 just try not to go too far or too fast and make sure the 3 are tight just to be safe.

Can't help you with where noise coming from, I don't know enough about suspension and steering to suggest possible cause but it could from that area?

Regards

Phil.

Yeah thats wot i thought. Took it back today to the dealer and they didn't seem to think much of the broken bolt and said thed change it no prob they going to look into the rust but i dont think they going to do much about. I also asked them to remove that irritation noise though they kept on suggesting the brake pads which i had checked and cleaned myself so i doubt it. Hopefully it will be fine.

Is the problem actually squeaky brakes?

A friend of mine had problem that dealership didn't know what it was, he got discs cleaned with brake cleaner (can use mentholated sprits or similar if can't find any brake cleaner) and stopped for while but came back in end changed his pads and seemed to cure it, so it could just be dodgy/rubbish pads but Toyota pads tend to be pretty good if they are Toyota originals.

Just something I remembered one of my friends had problem with, but this was with A-class (grr nasty German cars!!)

If that is the sort problem try cleaning discs thoroughly and see what happens, if squeaking stops for bit then come back, then you can clean discs for next 2 years of get some new pads, they are like £20 Frodo pads (fairly good) from Halfords, but then you would need to know how to fit them, which is actually very easy once you done it there is quite good procure with photos I found on this forum somewhere, I can now change front brake pads in 20 minutes it that easy. It shouldn’t cost too much take to local garage as should only involve ½ hour labour, if don’t feel up to tackling brakes but is very easy.

Regards

Phil.

Thanks for the advice will do that when i have a chance. I find it quite strange though on a car that has oly done 10k.