Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'jumpy' Acceleration

robinogilvy

I bought a 3-door 1995 Rav4 (3S-FE) a few months ago and acceleration is not smooth at low speeds. In particular, the car 'jumps' forward when accelerating away from junctions in low gears, and at gear change. There's a soft clunking noise too, as it bites. Does anyone know what this might be? I've had it in the garage a few times, and the only thing they found once was a loose gearbox mount. Would this cause it? It was tightened (along with other bits and pieces) and the problem seemed to go away, but then got worse again over time. It's also a bit shaky when taking my foot off the accelerator quickly (e.g. when going down hill).

I'm in East Africa, so good mechanics are hard to come by. Any thoughts much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

They all do this,it's usually caused by the Rubber mountings on the rear Diff,you can change these for stiffer ones (more noise etc ) or just adjust your driving style....smothly does it! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links