Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla T Sport - Lift Bolt

T Sport 1978

I know this should belong in the the T Sport forum, but its a little quiet there and i would really appreciate some input...so here it is. :help:

Hi all,

Just want to ask a few things on the infamous lift bolt of the 2zzge engine. I own an 03 5dr T Sport on 30k miles, although i do not have a problem with the lift as such, but i have been drivin into a crazy paranoia about it as i have read countless articles on the vulnerability of the lift bolt mechanism.

I am wondering if anyone here at all or heard of anyone who owns a Corolla T Sport who has had to repair or replace the lift bolt? Admitedly all the articles i have read was based on the Celica but i have never heard from any who have actually had problems on a Corolla.

Any replies and experience would be appreciated.

They got revised I think in 2003, but it is quite a problem, I belong to the celica club and theres been a few this year, I think most people seem to to get them changed every couple of years, depends how hard you use lift

I know this should belong in the the T Sport forum, but its a little quiet there and i would really appreciate some input...so here it is. :help:

Hi all,

Just want to ask a few things on the infamous lift bolt of the 2zzge engine. I own an 03 5dr T Sport on 30k miles, although i do not have a problem with the lift as such, but i have been drivin into a crazy paranoia about it as i have read countless articles on the vulnerability of the lift bolt mechanism.

I am wondering if anyone here at all or heard of anyone who owns a Corolla T Sport who has had to repair or replace the lift bolt? Admitedly all the articles i have read was based on the Celica but i have never heard from any who have actually had problems on a Corolla.

Thanks for your help guys.

I read the whole of the 4 pages of that thread and only 3 posts had what i wanted to know!!!

Just out of interest. Have yuo guys had any issues with the lift?

Hi all,

I read the whole of the 4 pages of that thread and only 3 posts had what i wanted to know!!!

No issues with 'lift' here... a nice healthy kick at 6,200RPM! :D

As for other owners having issues - I know of quite a few high-mileage T Sports ranging from '02 to '04 that are now in Ireland that get regular thrashings and they are all fine! :thumbsup:

Hi all,

As for other owners having issues - I know of quite a few high-mileage T Sports ranging from '02 to '04 that are now in Ireland that get regular thrashings and they are all fine! :thumbsup:

Thats good to know mate... The T Sport must look so darn good against those hilly backdrops.

How many miles have you done in yours K19NE G? So you have never even bothered to check the bolt out?

Hi all,

Thats good to know mate... The T Sport must look so darn good against those hilly backdrops.

How many miles have you done in yours K19NE G? So you have never even bothered to check the bolt out?

Pity, I never got any pics when I got home, but I have some nice pics that are in another thread in a countryside setting.... that's just between Watford and NW London :lol:

I'm just approaching 11k now. I haven't bothered to check as the kick you get when the cam is engaged is just as potent now as when I bought it with 4.5k on the clock! :thumbsup:

One of my mates has a '02 with 85k on the clock and it feels as good as mine. Another couple of friends with pre-facelift '04 T Sports with approx 25k on the clock drive exactly like mine too (minus the induction roar and that extra wee bit of power of course! :D

Hi all,

Pity, I never got any pics when I got home, but I have some nice pics that are in another thread in a countryside setting.... that's just between Watford and NW London :lol:

I'm just approaching 11k now. I haven't bothered to check as the kick you get when the cam is engaged is just as potent now as when I bought it with 4.5k on the clock! :thumbsup:

One of my mates has a '02 with 85k on the clock and it feels as good as mine. Another couple of friends with pre-facelift '04 T Sports with approx 25k on the clock drive exactly like mine too (minus the induction roar and that extra wee bit of power of course! :D

I guess it must have been real bad luck for those who have had problems with their lift, or that they treat their TS like a crack !Removed!... :bash:

How much did all your good work set you back K19?

Are you feeling much difference with 200 hp?

I guess it must have been real bad luck for those who have had problems with their lift, or that they treat their TS like a crack !Removed!... :bash:

There is a good difference in the higher rev range - much more punch.

All the little things you do make a difference. £185 for the induction kit. £65 for the TTE lowering springs (cornering and steering response much better). £800 for wheels and tyres (coupled with the springs grip is much better). £135 I think for the TTE back box (adds nothing but looks better and a nice growl to be honest!) Dastek Unichip is £420 but not set up yet so I'll be a good bit up on 200BHP by then... hopefully! :!Removed!:

Have lots of other possibilities for mods I have in mind like a sports cat, anti-roll bars etc... whatever people discuss on the forum I'm like "I want I want I want" he he! :lol:

There is a good difference in the higher rev range - much more punch.

All the little things you do make a difference. £185 for the induction kit. £65 for the TTE lowering springs (cornering and steering response much better). £800 for wheels and tyres (coupled with the springs grip is much better). £135 I think for the TTE back box (adds nothing but looks better and a nice growl to be honest!) Dastek Unichip is £420 but not set up yet so I'll be a good bit up on 200BHP by then... hopefully! :!Removed!:

Have lots of other possibilities for mods I have in mind like a sports cat, anti-roll bars etc... whatever people discuss on the forum I'm like "I want I want I want" he he! :lol:

Thats not too bad, keep us up to date on how it goes with the Unichip in place.

Mine is sort of a half family car half nut mobile (when i'm alone! :thumbsup: ) so i am not intending on modding to heavily. What i am interested in is a decent induction kit... I take it you recomment your K&N? Is it hard to fit?

Mine is sort of a half family car half nut mobile (when i'm alone! :thumbsup: ) so i am not intending on modding to heavily. What i am interested in is a decent induction kit... I take it you recomment your K&N? Is it hard to fit?

Will do on the Unichip!

The induction kit would take about 1 hour on the first attempt, but if you do buy a kit, make sure you mark all the vaccuum hoses so you can put it back together if you need too (as I found out to my expense when my car went in for it's first service!) You may not like the extra noise from it as there is quite a gutsy roar now! I love it though :thumbsup: Will try to get a vid up sometime...

Will do on the Unichip!

The induction kit would take about 1 hour on the first attempt, but if you do buy a kit, make sure you mark all the vaccuum hoses so you can put it back together if you need too (as I found out to my expense when my car went in for it's first service!) You may not like the extra noise from it as there is quite a gutsy roar now! I love it though :thumbsup: Will try to get a vid up sometime...

OK... I am mechanically inept! Can someone like me do this??? :eek:

Well have a look for yourself at these instructions to see if you'd manage! :thumbsup: :P

Fitting Instructions

Well have a look for yourself at these instructions to see if you'd manage! :thumbsup: :P

Fitting Instructions

Thanks you sir.

I will pop the hood and see it all for myself later on... I will come to an educated decision whether i should even attempt to do this myself or not! :P

Hi all,

No probs with mine so far and I use lift a lot for overtaking on rural roads.

However I do intend to get dealer to check bolts at next service.

Mines an 02 and I've had since new, 35K miles. I do need front disc pads and 4 tyres though!!! :crybaby:

Hi all,

Mines an 02 and I've had since new, 35K miles. I do need front disc pads and 4 tyres though!!! :crybaby:

i'll get mine checked at 30,000 service (easy job just think of it as an alternative to a cam belt on other cars but a lot cheaper to replace, 2 hours labour, 2 bolts and a gasket) if a cam belt fails normally it's smashed the valves and guides head and pistons. if the lift bolts go it's normally driveable but no boost at 6300 rpm it's just fiddly getting the broken bits out the oil ways / sump.

Hi all,

i'll get mine checked at 30,000 service (easy job just think of it as an alternative to a cam belt on other cars but a lot cheaper to replace, 2 hours labour, 2 bolts and a gasket) if a cam belt fails normally it's smashed the valves and guides head and pistons. if the lift bolts go it's normally driveable but no boost at 6300 rpm it's just fiddly getting the broken bits out the oil ways / sump.

I have found a garage that will do a replacement for me (at a cost of course), the thing is i just had the 30k service and my local dealer hadn't a clue about the lift bolt... I just dont have faith in the dealers, they simply arent clued enough.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links